Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 10:46:18 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: local bitcoin question  (Read 588 times)
Alley (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 07, 2015, 02:49:58 PM

I only sell face to face.  But I've had messages from people that say they won't meet me unless I put the btc in escrow first to prove I have them.  They say they don't think I'll show up to the meet unless I prove I have the funds.  Could this be a scam of some sort?  I like to just get the money then transfer using my phone at the same time.  To me it doesn't make sense to go through all the trouble of making g a ad for the sole purpose of wasting 5 minutes of somebody's time.  Is there a way to scam somebody out of escrowed coins?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BTCevo
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1008

View Profile
May 07, 2015, 03:23:19 PM

I only sell face to face.  But I've had messages from people that say they won't meet me unless I put the btc in escrow first to prove I have them.  They say they don't think I'll show up to the meet unless I prove I have the funds.  Could this be a scam of some sort?  I like to just get the money then transfer using my phone at the same time.  To me it doesn't make sense to go through all the trouble of making g a ad for the sole purpose of wasting 5 minutes of somebody's time.  Is there a way to scam somebody out of escrowed coins?

I think he wants the proof that you got that money with it, anyway that is not a bad thing to use escrow and plus he just want to double check. If you are using escrow make sure you got a reputable one so your coin can't be scammed. Anyway you just need to screenshot your bitcoin to escrow for the proof if escrow said ok he must understand this thing too
Alley (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 07, 2015, 03:44:26 PM

Seems like I have to trust him that he has cash and is going to show up to the meet.  But yet he doesn't have to trust me and I have to prove I have the btc.  Doesnt make sense to me.  With hearing exchanges shutting accounts for using localbitcoins I am only doing face to face transfers.
byt411

Activity: 798

View Profile
May 07, 2015, 04:01:11 PM

Transfer the btc that the buyer wants to a seperate address and then prove ownership by signing a message.
Done.
BTCevo
Legendary

View Profile
May 07, 2015, 04:09:26 PM

Seems like I have to trust him that he has cash and is going to show up to the meet.  But yet he doesn't have to trust me and I have to prove I have the btc.  Doesnt make sense to me.  With hearing exchanges shutting accounts for using localbitcoins I am only doing face to face transfers.

Thats why you can use escrow to proof it to them and ask him to send it to the escrow too, after you guys deal and escrow proof it that is right escrow can start to do the trade. Let escrow do the rest, it will be easier. With using escrow everything will be alright but make sure you guys deal first on having escrow
byt411

View Profile
May 07, 2015, 04:12:44 PM

Thats why you can use escrow to proof it to them and ask him to send it to the escrow too, after you guys deal and escrow proof it that is right escrow can start to do the trade. Let escrow do the rest, it will be easier. With using escrow everything will be alright but make sure you guys deal first on having escrow

No, what are you even saying? Read the damn post properly. It's a face to face trade. What are you saying about "ask him to send it to the escrow too"?
The buyer is just needlessly preoccupied. By simply signing a message no escrow is needed.
Alley (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 07, 2015, 04:24:11 PM

Correct.  I fail to see why I need to use escrow in a face to face trade.  Only response I got from buyer was that he didn't think I had the funds and wouldn't show up to the meet.  Which to me makes no sense at all.  Maybe he was just trolling me and wasting my time.  Purpose of this thread was just to see if this could be a scam of some sort.   
BTCevo
Legendary

View Profile
May 07, 2015, 04:29:32 PM

No, what are you even saying? Read the damn post properly. It's a face to face trade. What are you saying about "ask him to send it to the escrow too"?
The buyer is just needlessly preoccupied. By simply signing a message no escrow is needed.

Im asking him to use escrow because its easier and smooth rather than face to face and need to confirm so many things. Paying escrow for a little bit but things went smooth whats wrong with that?

Correct.  I fail to see why I need to use escrow in a face to face trade.  Only response I got from buyer was that he didn't think I had the funds and wouldn't show up to the meet.  Which to me makes no sense at all.  Maybe he was just trolling me and wasting my time.  Purpose of this thread was just to see if this could be a scam of some sort.   

Why should I wasting your time here? I just suggest you something good and thats all
byt411

View Profile
May 07, 2015, 04:45:07 PM

Im asking him to use escrow because its easier and smooth rather than face to face and need to confirm so many things. Paying escrow for a little bit but things went smooth whats wrong with that?

Why should I wasting your time here? I just suggest you something good and thats all

Again, read the message. I insist on you doing so because otherwise your reply is completely meaningless.
He is talking about the buyer, not you.
BTCevo
Legendary

View Profile
May 07, 2015, 04:56:06 PM

Again, read the message. I insist on you doing so because otherwise your reply is completely meaningless.
He is talking about the buyer, not you.

Ok Im sorry, after I read it these is my bad. Sorry for the escrow things here. I thought he want to use escrow for himself
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: