Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 03:48:27 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Adding to the number of dedicated nodes.  (Read 725 times)
0toinvestor (OP)

Activity: 23
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 08, 2015, 02:11:25 PM

I shut down my server farm a little over a month ago to take interest in and support the Bitcoin infrastructure. Not all of my servers have been sold. Would it be at all beneficial to the community if I could add 20-30 VMs (to start with) that just run full nodes?

Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
May 08, 2015, 02:42:41 PM

of course do it it would beneficial for the network, sadly there aren't any reward or incentive to do it, besides being charitable
jacktheking
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1001

Personal Text Space Not For Sale

View Profile
May 08, 2015, 04:13:15 PM

If you really did. Dont mind posting a donation address here. I'm sure there will be many Bitcoiners that will donate some Bitcoin to you. Bitcoiner are very kind because.. this is internet! I would really like to see you putting up a node for Bitcoin - it will be even better if you put up nodes!

So sad! This profile does not appear as the #1 result (on anonymous) Google searches anymore.

Time to be active on the crypto forums again? Proud to be one of the few Legendary members of the Sparkie Red Dot!

Gonna put this on my resume if I ever join a cryptocurrency/blockchain industry!
0toinvestor (OP)

Activity: 23

View Profile
May 15, 2015, 10:11:38 PM
Last edit: May 15, 2015, 10:26:22 PM by 0toinvestor

Ok. I've got 15 VMs running a full node each and all are taking on incoming connections. I'll keep an eye on resources, I should be able to add another 10-15 VMs to that machine. If not, I'll add what I can and turn on another machine.

@jacktheking, donations would be awesome!

I'm not sure of proper etiquette for soliciting donations on this site but if anyone wants to contribute please send them to the address below. Thanks!

12sMwh4wAVkrXkq6UUt5id5m6ThvxW9sKN

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/Jub3XviEypKF1RLv1uQSfZtUukx2MFRniEDmSd30kaU=s207-p-no
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 15, 2015, 10:49:13 PM

If you really did. Dont mind posting a donation address here. I'm sure there will be many Bitcoiners that will donate some Bitcoin to you. Bitcoiner are very kind because.. this is internet! I would really like to see you putting up a node for Bitcoin - it will be even better if you put up nodes!

I would be surprised if you could get anywhere near what it costs for the 15 VM's in donations.  I hope I'm wrong, but I just don't see it being a huge draw of people donating.
randy8777
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 15, 2015, 11:07:07 PM

I would be surprised if you could get anywhere near what it costs for the 15 VM's in donations.  I hope I'm wrong, but I just don't see it being a huge draw of people donating.

if people donate 0.01btc in total it will be a massive achievement. but beside that, we don't know if he really is running that many nodes. saying you do is not enough.
Studio60

Activity: 59

View Profile
May 15, 2015, 11:25:59 PM

I shut down my server farm a little over a month ago to take interest in and support the Bitcoin infrastructure. Not all of my servers have been sold. Would it be at all beneficial to the community if I could add 20-30 VMs (to start with) that just run full nodes?

Yes, every person that runs a full node helps strengthen the network Smiley

The Bitcoin network exists because of all the people that participate, so if nobody runs full nodes or mines it's not a very strong network. If you mined that would be even better as that increases network security and decentralization, and it might even return you profit if you're good at it.

For running a full node, remember a few things though. Be sure you have port 8333 open, where it can accept incoming connections, otherwise you're not really 'helping' the network. If you show more than 8 connections everything should be working fine. Also, you probably don't need redundant nodes on the same IP, and which share the same bandwidth limits. What strengthens the network is geographically spaced nodes with sufficient bandwidth to reduce network latency. Last, your full node should be online 24/7 without experiencing frequent outages for best results. Hope that helps Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: