Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 08:59:08 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin for Backpackers (remote places w/o ATM)  (Read 2792 times)
phelix (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1020

View Profile
September 02, 2012, 05:42:35 PM

Most of August I have been traveling through Malaysia (very nice). Visiting three small Islands it occurred to me that it would be very useful to be able to pay for chalets/guesthouses/food with bitcoin.

The problem is there is no ATM on these islands and at a lot of places you also can not pay by credit card. So you have to take cash with you. Not only can the fiat be easily stolen but also you have to plan your expenses and length of stay in advance.

Wifi and/or gsm coverage is available at most of these places nowadays.

I talked to two owners about bitcoin (one did not give a damn about computers/internet, the other place was not that remote but he is considering it).

If you hit the road give it a try, too, and we might soon have a nice place on some island or at the end of the world accepting bitcoin. Should still get some publicity.

Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
September 02, 2012, 06:02:12 PM

Sounds like a perfect place for a human ATM!

A few months ago was a StartupBus competition, and one of the contestants was Open Wallet app:

Here's their proof of concept video:

- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoRlyPZ3zJ0

I have no idea what they were going to use to settle payment to the party acting as "ATM".  I wouldn't doubt they were able to come up with a good solution for that ... and left it as "and magic happens here", after figuring out that PayPal wouldn't work for this.

If that was the hurdle these entrepreneurs couldn't solve, then had they considered using bitcoin as the settlement currency they might have been able to get funding, develop it and launch.

I was hoping something like this could be built by LocalBitcoins (or built by anyone and offered to those in LocalBitcoin's directory)
 - http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=86012.msg1026722#msg1026722

But just as some hotels will let a guest write a check to receive cash, those offering travel accommodations could offer Bitcoin cash-out as a service.  Or their staff/concierge happens to know which individual(s) nearby offer this service.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

phelix (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1020

View Profile
September 03, 2012, 11:11:41 AM

Sounds like a perfect place for a human ATM!

A few months ago was a StartupBus competition, and one of the contestants was Open Wallet app:

Here's their proof of concept video:

- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoRlyPZ3zJ0

I have no idea what they were going to use to settle payment to the party acting as "ATM".  I wouldn't doubt they were able to come up with a good solution for that ... and left it as "and magic happens here", after figuring out that PayPal wouldn't work for this.

If that was the hurdle these entrepreneurs couldn't solve, then had they considered using bitcoin as the settlement currency they might have been able to get funding, develop it and launch.

I was hoping something like this could be built by LocalBitcoins (or built by anyone and offered to those in LocalBitcoin's directory)
 - http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=86012.msg1026722#msg1026722

But just as some hotels will let a guest write a check to receive cash, those offering travel accommodations could offer Bitcoin cash-out as a service.  Or their staff/concierge happens to know which individual(s) nearby offer this service.

openWallet + localBitcoins sounds like an interesting idea. But without a fee I don't think it will work (compensation for trouble).

Direct Bitcoin business is easier Smiley

kangasbros

Activity: 812
Merit: 1006

View Profile
September 03, 2012, 11:49:17 AM

Bitcoin could certainly be very useful for travelers. There is already Bitcoin group on couchsurfing, I advertised localbitcoins there.

first step: local bitcoin cash exchangers - sell some bitcoins when you arrive, change the remaining cash to bitcoins when you leave.
second step: hostels and other travel businesses accepting bitcoin
third step: airbnb-style websites based on bitcoin Cool

nth step: total world domination & reptilians (just joking)

giszmo
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
September 03, 2012, 06:47:47 PM

Bitcoin could certainly be very useful for travelers. There is already Bitcoin group on couchsurfing, I advertised localbitcoins there.

You mean group 38717? With 10 members? Wow!
You certainly mean something bigger, don't you? Can you provide a link?

ɃɃWalletScrutiny.comIs your wallet secure?(Methodology)
WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
kangasbros

Activity: 812
Merit: 1006

View Profile
September 03, 2012, 06:50:38 PM

Nope, the same 10 people group Cheesy It is a start! Don't be negative Cheesy

giszmo
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
September 03, 2012, 07:04:25 PM

Ok, maybe I am negative. I don't see bitcoin and cs go together very well. CS is not about money. Yes, I annoy every single visitor with my bitcoin enthusiasm and got some of them their first bitcoins but you could just as well start a bitcoin thread on a climbing or neighborhood watch forum.

ɃɃWalletScrutiny.comIs your wallet secure?(Methodology)
WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
Evolvex

Activity: 179
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 24, 2012, 06:28:08 PM

Ok, maybe I am negative. I don't see bitcoin and cs go together very well. CS is not about money.

Ahhh, the way I see it Couchsurfing and bitcoin go very well together - at least in the sense of the general open ethos of both things, I would of thought people that were open to the idea of opening there home to strangers would also be into the idea of bitcoin, nothing about exchanging one for the other!.

I was just as awed by the ideas Couchsurfing as I was by bitcoin (ok, maybe more so with bitcoin.... but still).

I've been considering traveling lately, and have just put the idea of bitcoin and travel together in my head (whilst trying to come up with a blog concept), I may well end up backpacking the world with bitcoins one day Smiley
BitLucky

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 24, 2012, 06:59:11 PM

Ahhh, the way I see it Couchsurfing and bitcoin go very well together - at least in the sense of the general open ethos of both things, I would of thought people that were open to the idea of opening there home to strangers would also be into the idea of bitcoin, nothing about exchanging one for the other!.

I was just as awed by the ideas Couchsurfing as I was by bitcoin (ok, maybe more so with bitcoin.... but still).

I've been considering traveling lately, and have just put the idea of bitcoin and travel together in my head (whilst trying to come up with a blog concept), I may well end up backpacking the world with bitcoins one day Smiley

I plan to do the same - travel around Europe couchsurfing to the places that accept bitcoin (Berlin springs to mind). Let me know if you want company! I couchsurfed in the Summer and gave 1BTC as a thank-you to the people I visited. They must have thought WTF.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
November 24, 2012, 08:00:41 PM

I plan to do the same - travel around Europe couchsurfing to the places that accept bitcoin (Berlin springs to mind). Let me know if you want company! I couchsurfed in the Summer and gave 1BTC as a thank-you to the people I visited. They must have thought WTF.

Ente has been in contact with these people if this is what you're looking for: http://www.bewelcome.org/main

Hopefully, BeWelcome comes on board and accepts Bitcoin 100's proposal. Here is their donation page: http://www.bewelcome.org/donate

~Bruno K~
Serith

Activity: 269
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 24, 2012, 09:43:19 PM
Last edit: November 24, 2012, 11:25:59 PM by Serith

I see B = $ c^2 as signature more and more, but
mathematical interpretation is:
1 dollar * c^2 = 89875517873681760 bitcoins  
, so essentially it means that 1 dollar worth many times more then 1 bitcoin </grammar_nazi>
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: