Bitcoin Forum
June 24, 2024, 06:30:03 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Gauging interest - Loans repayable in mined shares  (Read 944 times)
Shadow383 (OP)

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 02, 2012, 06:07:47 PM

So, I've been considering offering small loans on here - thought it might be interesting when offering loans to miners to make them repayable by mining  Smiley

An example would be:
-Assuming the next difficulty change is to 2.5 million (gives a nice 0.00002 BTC/share at 100%).

User A requests a loan of 10BTC, I grant it, and in return they have to mine at least 526316 shares (10BTC @ 95% PPS) during the next difficulty period to the pool details I specify in advance.
If they overshoot the target, I pay them 0.0000195/share (97.5% PPS) for any shares mined over and above 526316. If they undershoot the target then we negotiate new terms - payback of some of the loan in BTC or further mining following the difficulty retarget.

Would any miners be interested in accessing loans in this way?
fabrizziop

Activity: 506
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 02, 2012, 11:48:19 PM

Isn't that the same as mining and then paying with mined BTCs?. Just charge the extra directly.
Shadow383 (OP)

View Profile
September 03, 2012, 12:25:41 AM

Isn't that the same as mining and then paying with mined BTCs?. Just charge the extra directly.
Near enough, but I personally like the idea of mining loans, with the PPS fee varying rather than interest rate.
It's still a loan, so it's not going to be that different, but nobody's doing it yet so I thought it might be worth looking at.

Besides, if people typically mined PPS at, say, ozcoin or btcguild (5% fee anyway) then in the example I gave they'd be getting interest free credit  Wink
TheOtherGuy

Activity: 71
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 03, 2012, 12:33:56 AM

I think it is a very good idea.

1NDoRoTapFZNiUhzTPyFdKib66QLJfmcuR
fabrizziop

Activity: 506
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 03, 2012, 12:37:14 AM

Near enough, but I personally like the idea of mining loans, with the PPS fee varying rather than interest rate.
It's still a loan, so it's not going to be that different, but nobody's doing it yet so I thought it might be worth looking at.

Besides, if people typically mined PPS at, say, ozcoin or btcguild (5% fee anyway) then in the example I gave they'd be getting interest free credit  Wink

The nice thing is that it gives you a smooth repayment  Grin
Shadow383 (OP)

View Profile
September 03, 2012, 02:52:08 AM

The nice thing is that it gives you a smooth repayment  Grin
Yup, it's also pretty easy to show ability to repay, contracts can be based on a combination of rep and expected time to mine away the debt  Smiley

Basically miners are just preselling hashing power to you?
That would be the idea yeah. Could be useful for some miners looking to expand their mining op quickly  Smiley
salfter

Activity: 651
Merit: 501

My PGP Key: 92C7689C

View Profile WWW
September 11, 2012, 04:15:35 PM

Sounds like an interesting idea...have been considering asking for one as a way to get my hashrate up sooner, but between ASICs (I'm already waiting for two Jalapeños) and the halving of the block payoff from 50 BTC to 25, I'm not sure I'd want to get myself into that kind of hole.  I'm currently using P2Pool, so directing the output of a particular miner to another address is easy to set up. 

Maybe next year, the outlook will be more clear.  Guess I'll have to be content with ~150 MH/s on my equipment and small-scale investing in other people's rigs until then.

Tipjars: BTC 1TipsGocnz2N5qgAm9f7JLrsMqkb3oXe2 LTC LTipsVC7XaFy9M6Zaf1aGGe8w8xVUeWFvR | My Bitcoin Note Generator | Pool Auto-Switchers: zpool MiningPoolHub NiceHash
Bitgem Resources: Pool Explorer Paper Wallet
DOH!

Activity: 784
Merit: 108

View Profile WWW
September 14, 2012, 04:37:44 AM

So, I've been considering offering small loans on here - thought it might be interesting when offering loans to miners to make them repayable by mining  Smiley

An example would be:
-Assuming the next difficulty change is to 2.5 million (gives a nice 0.00002 BTC/share at 100%).

User A requests a loan of 10BTC, I grant it, and in return they have to mine at least 526316 shares (10BTC @ 95% PPS) during the next difficulty period to the pool details I specify in advance.
If they overshoot the target, I pay them 0.0000195/share (97.5% PPS) for any shares mined over and above 526316. If they undershoot the target then we negotiate new terms - payback of some of the loan in BTC or further mining following the difficulty retarget.

Would any miners be interested in accessing loans in this way?

I have a very stable 3.3gh/s I'd like to use as collateral on a loan to snag another 7970 immediately if you're interested in making a deal.  It would bring me up to 4gh/s,  I would need a 30btc loan to make it worth it for me.  PPS calculator at deepbit says I'd make 40btc/month at current difficulty running 4gh/s, so a 3 week payback period would be all I would need, maybe a full month depending on price/share and uptime.  If mining takes a shit or BFL ships a month early I have cash to buy btc with, I just figured that if I can keep cash out of the equation at this point it would be a good idea.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: