Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 04:18:39 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [BOUNTY] 185+ BTC - Open Transactions Client (for Grandmas)  (Read 12739 times)
jasinlee

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

Its as easy as 0, 1, 1, 2, 3

View Profile
October 08, 2012, 02:42:14 AM

I read somewhere that he said he was going to forward it.

Cheesy somewhere is 5 post above yours.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=105506.msg1250847#msg1250847

Yeah I figured someone might pick up on that sarcasm Tongue

BTC 1JASiNZxmAN1WBS4dmGEDoPpzN3GV7dnjX DVC 1CxxZzqcy7YEVXfCn5KvgRxjeWvPpniK3                     Earn Devcoins Devtome.com

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
mila

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 12, 2012, 12:45:47 PM

We now also have a OTdemo demo/test server, see https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=117080.0

do you also collect test cases etc?

your ad here:
Mushroomized
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1002

Hello!

View Profile
October 12, 2012, 01:40:56 PM

Oh neat

hi
randy-waterhouse

Activity: 41
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 17, 2012, 09:27:43 PM

We now also have a OTdemo demo/test server, see https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=117080.0

What did you have in mind in particular ... there is a lot of sample user data data out there demonstrating server contracts, asset contracts, mulitple Nym wallets, basket currency contracts and etc ...

E.g.
https://github.com/FellowTraveler/Open-Transactions/tree/846a9398ea5326df9eaa2c162d3dcc8a0934e184/sample-data
Explodicle

Activity: 950
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 18, 2012, 12:45:42 AM

I just don't have enough money to donate what I think this project is worth.
Actually, now I'd like to pledge 3 BTC. I know it's next to nothing, but that's better than actually nothing and I hate being all talk.

Fortunately, I'll only have to annoy you with tiny pledges this one last time. After this bounty is fulfilled we can just do them automatically with OT. Cheesy
🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1043

👻

View Profile
October 18, 2012, 12:49:41 AM

Anyone working on this? I can do it, but I don't want to waste my time if someone else already started work.

Also, what are you looking for - desktop Windows client? Crossplat java client? A JS based web client? Can be designed so private stuff don't travel to a 3rd party server.
da2ce7
Legendary

Activity: 1222
Merit: 1016

Live and Let Live

View Profile
October 18, 2012, 04:12:02 AM

Anyone working on this? I can do it, but I don't want to waste my time if someone else already started work.

Also, what are you looking for - desktop Windows client? Crossplat java client? A JS based web client? Can be designed so private stuff don't travel to a 3rd party server.

Ideally something like BitcoinQT, a cross-platform QT client.  The next big project first is the proting of the chaiscript high-level api, to C++.  Once that is built, building a C++ GUI should be trivial.

One off NP-Hard.
fellowtraveler

Activity: 440

View Profile
October 18, 2012, 04:19:12 AM

A cross-platform java client would be best. We have a Java test GUI already but it's just that: a test GUI, not a real client. Therefore we need at least one NICE client that runs on ALL platforms.

As for the JS web client, how secure can that be, and will it require a browser plugin for the OT client DLL ?  Just curious how that would work.

co-founder, Monetas
creator, Open-Transactions
mila

View Profile
October 18, 2012, 06:16:43 AM

me not. I posted a question if someone works on QA and wanted to look into testing of things, automate them and stuff but it's 'moving slowly'

What did you have in mind in particular ... there is a lot of sample user data data out there demonstrating server contracts, asset contracts, mulitple Nym wallets, basket currency contracts and etc ...

exactly things like that, and do this for every release candidate, and preferably also night builds should be tested.
- checking if all functionality is available and working after each sw change
- compare contracts, wallets, ious created 'now' with samples from old 'good' versions - should produce same results
- list of functionality to be covered by tests/testing

your ad here:
paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: 1pirata

View Profile WWW
November 06, 2012, 07:34:30 PM

Updates from Rugatu

http://www.rugatu.com/questions/3691/open-transactions-client-for-grandmas/3842

http://www.rugatu.com/questions/3691/open-transactions-client-for-grandmas/4179

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
November 06, 2012, 09:50:59 PM

Would this be under GPL/AGPL or some other license? (Maybe the pledgees would like to own it?)

marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
November 06, 2012, 09:54:08 PM

me not. I posted a question if someone works on QA and wanted to look into testing of things, automate them and stuff but it's 'moving slowly'

exactly things like that, and do this for every release candidate, and preferably also night builds should be tested.
- compare contracts, wallets, ious created 'now' with samples from old 'good' versions - should produce same results

mila : are you saying you could do this? ... or that this is what needs to be done?

Explodicle

Activity: 950
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 08:02:52 PM

Would this be under GPL/AGPL or some other license? (Maybe the pledgees would like to own it?)

The OP only specifies "open source", so any free license (or public domain) should be acceptable. The author would retain copyright, and my tiny pledge has no problems with them selling additional commercial licenses too.
mila

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 08:25:26 PM

mila : are you saying you could do this? ... or that this is what needs to be done?

between the lines I volunteered. to start breaking it down to doable and measurable things, it
- needs to be done
- needs to be done repeatedly for each build or at least release candidate
- needs to be maintained (test cases, test data, etc)

I could do this. most probably open source it and tutor any other volunteer who'd join the QA

your ad here:
Binford 6100

Activity: 504

PGP OTC WOT: EB7FCE3D

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 09:47:41 PM

https://github.com/FellowTraveler/Open-Transactions/wiki/Use-Cases
seen that already?

You can't build a reputation on what you are going to do.
Binford 6100

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 10:14:29 PM

Last time I contemplated a PC for my grandma it boiled down to one feature (call somebody) and no GUI whatsoever except big pictures of faces of people in her address book on the desktop - clickable - hit the image of a person to dial and one button to hang up. plus some hidden processes to check uplink and pc status.

Once she would 'master' the call feature, another one would be added (like view weather forecast or the cantina menu) adding another button (switch between phone and this new feature). Not sure about the target audience of OT client but what about reasonable expectations? sort features into a learning path and hide the irrelevant stuff at the beginning.

marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
November 08, 2012, 01:39:40 AM

Last time I contemplated a PC for my grandma it boiled down to one feature (call somebody) and no GUI whatsoever except big pictures of faces of people in her address book on the desktop - clickable - hit the image of a person to dial and one button to hang up. plus some hidden processes to check uplink and pc status.

Once she would 'master' the call feature, another one would be added (like view weather forecast or the cantina menu) adding another button (switch between phone and this new feature). Not sure about the target audience of OT client but what about reasonable expectations? sort features into a learning path and hide the irrelevant stuff at the beginning.

Interesting approach, sounds promising ... i wonder if it could be codified. E.g. using an adaptive learning algorithm that monitors how proficient the user is at using the current menu system then adds in menu items and complexity as the user learns ... ? Begin of course with an incredibly simple interface to do something very basic but desirable ... e.g. "send grandsons moar money", picture of grandson, pop-up numeric digits pad to enter amount, big green send button.

Binford 6100

View Profile
November 08, 2012, 08:22:31 AM

> ... i wonder if it could be codified.

My point was "less features" would be probably an option. When I first saw the sheer number of tabs I was like wtf.
grandma can probably safely touch any of the different corners of the screen, this leaves 3 features/options and back/cancel button.
when focus is in a functional screen, we still have only 3 corners (see back/cancel button should remain where it is) to work with.
maybe 5 elements if we assume grandma can safely touch/distinguish 6 elements on the screen.
like choose face (whom to send teh money), maybe change type of tx (bitcoin, silver IOU, other ...) and type/choose amount.
(if gui has 6 elements, then also "take/consult notes" & "wealth overview") ...

I like multibit's take on this, 3 fixed tabs in the app and all others can be closed (if you open them).
thus you can have the client as complex as you wish (read open tab for everything) or boil it down to basic 3.
what is "all that grandma needs"?
- make 'em feel my generosity - send stuff
- who is in my address book (view/add/probably should not edit - could corrupt vital tx IDs)
- what's in here (list of assets - what can I spend / liabilities - p.ex. memos about bills due this month, year ...)
- add/remove stuff to/from screen (show/hide options/features)
- cancel/back/home
- tutorial / help / training mode (I'd like to allow user to play with the app without consequences, demo mode, maybe change the background, show in the banner if this is the real or training session, let her explore the new mighty wallet)

yes, few big buttons

becoin
Legendary

Activity: 3431
Merit: 1233

View Profile
November 08, 2012, 09:14:57 AM

A cross-platform java client would be best.
I second that and if done that way I pledge another 10 BTC. A modular architecture would allow users to select what financial instruments / functions (demo-ed on the MoneyChanger) they would like to use and select them during installation phase or install / uninstall modules later. The GUI must be as simple as possible with few big buttons geared towards younger generations instead as a target group. I'm also skeptical that the average nowadays grandma will ever use this product. OT is way ahead of its time! First bitcoin must dismantle current monetary monopoly and inflict changes on monetary regulation and legal frameworks.

I like multibit's take on this, 3 fixed tabs in the app and all others can be closed (if you open them).
IMHO http://www.voucher-safe.com/ is much better.
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
November 08, 2012, 10:23:37 AM

Voucher safe doesn't seem very safe, it warns that browsers plugin are needed, which probably means it tries to use some plugin that was deliberately removed due to known security problems. (Flash or java or something like that.)

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: