Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 03:32:03 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Shipping BFL labs greatest weakness?
Yes
No
Looks that way.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Shipping BFL labs greatest weakness?  (Read 2459 times)
YokoToriyama (OP)

Activity: 58
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 03, 2012, 04:35:47 AM

Shipping BFL labs greatest weakness?

I see one big problem with BFL business model., when it takes 8 weeks to ship your product your leaving
a big gap for competition., right now they are their biggest enemy.
Even the way apple does their business they do very large shipping orders
and even when it's sold out high demand of shipping goes into place.

If BFL cant get their shipping production to 2-4 weeks i see this hurting them in the long run.
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
HDSolar

Activity: 386
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
September 03, 2012, 04:48:10 AM

Shipping BFL labs greatest weakness?

I see one big problem with BFL business model., when it takes 8 weeks to ship your product your leaving
a big gap for competition., right now they are their biggest enemy.
Even the way apple does their business they do very large shipping orders
and even when it's sold out high demand of shipping goes into place.

If BFL cant get their shipping production to 2-4 weeks i see this hurting them in the long run.

Shipping is not the problem.  Once the order is ready to go it goes and very quickly.  The problem is getting the order together and look I don't like it either but this is still a very high risk business we are all in.  BFL makes a product that most anyone can use and they took allot of time to make something that basically an idiot can use.  Yes we send our money in and wait and wait and wait some more but as you pointed out in your post that even the way apple does their business but I remember back in the apple II days there were some interesting issues at Apple. 
Every small business has their issues and yes BFL may be the king of this market they are still a small business and so just like with bitcoins we take our risk with them and that their product is worth the money and the wait.  I run a business, it is not easy and could BFL do better sure but I bet that over time and as long as bitcoins continue to be the digital currency of choice they will get better.  I wish the whole world would be ready to go out of the box like apple is now but like any new venture their are growing pains.  I am just glad that I am getting in now and will be able to say back in the day I knew how it was with them just like I can say with apple. 

By the way comparing BFL to the most valuable company ever is really not fair.  I am sure that if I had that much money on hand I would be sending installers to your house the next day once you ordered and item and I would charge you too.  So until you have a product for sale let's just let BFL focus on getting the ASIC gear out.

Get paid to be social and visit HypeWizard today!  www.hypewiz.com
AR-15 80% at www.uspatriotarmory.com
my Cryptanalys.is profile
HDSolar

View Profile WWW
September 03, 2012, 02:44:49 PM

By the way comparing BFL to the most valuable company ever is really not fair. 

IBM, at parity and at peak, was worth 2x Apple's market cap peak.

Not knowing the internals at BFL, but having seen their previous work, I can say they definitely have problems in the supply chain.  Whether those are their only problems with respect to delivery is beyond my ken.

It could be as bad as not having product development capability or at least the ability to estimate their capability.

Understood about IBM, I was just talking about the current market so I should have written now instead of ever.  The point I was trying to make is everyone has to start somewhere in business and posts like these are needed to help a company improve or help it die.  I just read too many of these bash on BFL posts and think people don't look at the whole picture.  There shipping is fine (packing could be better) but I agree with you that one of their problems is supply chain.  As they grow they will be able to manage this better but for now they are a small fish in a very big pond.  Yes I am a customer, do I think the price matches the quality no, do I understand that they are a start up yes, do the need to improve, yes but the real question is will they with the ASIC line?  We shale see.

k9quaint
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 03, 2012, 04:09:26 PM

BFL's problem is customers have to order, pay, wait, then receive(if BFL can actually deliever).
Normally, customers order, wait, receive, then pay.

Bitcoin is backed by the full faith and credit of YouTube comments.
HDSolar

View Profile WWW
September 03, 2012, 07:08:10 PM

BFL's problem is customers have to order, pay, wait, then receive(if BFL can actually deliever).
I would like that too.  I understand they don't want to take the risk on these items and people not paying or any other issues but I would like the order and and then pay when its ready.  I wish they could go to an escrow account kind of thing similar to contracting trades people to do work on your home.

niko

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
September 08, 2012, 04:43:27 PM

When i order goods for my employer we do receive the goods first and then are billed.  However as a consumer, i never receive goods before making payment.  Anyway, i dont think this is going to be a huge issue for BFL because they have no competition.  We may not like it, but people are lining up their pre-orders anyhow...

Some people are lining up, but some are more cautious. I belong to the second group. They do have competition, and I'm watching it all with interest. Most likely I'll miss the first few weeks of ASIC mining at low difficulty, but on the other hand I'll get a better deal in the long run.

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
Graet
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
September 08, 2012, 04:54:16 PM

I would like that too.  I understand they don't want to take the risk on these items and people not paying or any other issues but I would like the order and and then pay when its ready. 
but then they wouldn't have the capital for development and production

| Ozcoin Pooled Mining Pty Ltd https://ozcoin.net Double Geometric Reward System https://lc.ozcoin.net for Litecoin mining DGM| https://crowncloud.net VPS and Dedicated Servers for the BTC community
Aseras

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 12, 2012, 12:51:29 PM

Normally a business doesn't charge you until they ship. Waiting 2-6 months to ship is risking a lot. Loss of use of that money. Many people who bought when the asic was announced lost >50% of the value of the bitcoins they spent. Even if you could pay with a credit card ( and the likely reason you cant is their merchant agreement would prohibit charging before shipping or delaying an order nearing the time to prevent a chargeback ).

BFL is being operated like a fly by night business. business is good until they hit one bump and then they are bankrupt.
Aseras

Activity: 658

View Profile
September 12, 2012, 12:53:28 PM

I would like that too.  I understand they don't want to take the risk on these items and people not paying or any other issues but I would like the order and and then pay when its ready. 

then you do what ever other competent business venture does, you get investors to front the money and assume the risk. you don't put that burden on your customers.
niko

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
September 12, 2012, 05:06:29 PM

then you do what ever other competent business venture does, you get investors to front the money and assume the risk. you don't put that burden on your customers.
Unless your customers are perfectly willing to take the burden, just like in this case. I wasn't willing to, and I am not a customer. I've got nothing to complain about.

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
Raize
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1419
Merit: 1015

View Profile
September 14, 2012, 10:50:26 PM

You aren't waiting to ship, you are waiting for them to even build you a product. So no, shipping is NOT their greatest problem.
GernMiester

Activity: 285

View Profile
September 17, 2012, 04:00:55 AM

yes
Fcx35x10

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 19, 2012, 01:12:38 AM

wouldn't it only matter if other companies started shipping but not BFL? There's really not much to do but wait
bitboyben

Activity: 330

View Profile
November 19, 2012, 04:30:02 PM

I think most of thier problems arise from delays from their suppliers. Sounds like currently everything is just sitting in boxes waiting for the last pieces.

Why did I sell at $5! Come back to me my old bitcoin! 1GjeBGS4KrxKAeEVt8d1fTnuKgpKpMmL6S
If you don't like the price of BTC come back in 8 hours.
Frizz23

Activity: 1162

View Profile
November 19, 2012, 04:45:07 PM

I think most of thier problems arise from delays from their suppliers.

Yes, yes. Always someone elses fault.

Was this also their "excuse" for the delayed shipment of their FPGAs?

Ξtherization⚡️First P2E 2016⚡️🏰💎🌈 etherization.org
SRoulette

Activity: 364
Merit: 252

View Profile WWW
November 26, 2012, 04:29:39 AM

This does seem to be their core issue, people are used to buying items that are "ready to ship" not "may require further R&D, assembling, burn in testing etc".

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: