Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 06:02:24 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bo you protect your anonymity?  (Read 2113 times)
ObscureBean
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
May 10, 2015, 08:36:40 AM

Nope, I don't feel the need to go through tons of hassle to hide my identity, Bitcoin is anonymous enough for me as it is. I don't see why anonymity would be a big deal for the layperson who's just looking to use the coin as a convenient means to shop online. I can totally understand why people who are always engaging in shady deals would feel the urge to defend their anonymity though  Cheesy

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
GTO911

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 10, 2015, 08:58:15 AM

I use Monero to keep my financial life private

Yeah, but to access monero you most likely used BTC before, so whats the catch? they could at least know you bought X amount of Monero.

No, have stopped using BTC completely
Q7

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
May 10, 2015, 09:27:37 AM

Mixing doesn't mean if will be for the better and for some reason if the new coins actually originate from some illegal stuff or activities, that could be even worse. Anyway, just wondering if there is nothing to hide then why worry about anonymity in the first place.

lyth0s
Legendary

Activity: 1260

World Class Cryptonaire

View Profile
May 10, 2015, 09:35:41 AM

Anonymity is important for multiple legitimate reasons that can occur in the future.

1) It stops potential miner censorship
2) Advertisers can't focus on you
3) Stores cant raise prices for things that they know you will 100% buy there
4) If you run a business you don't want your competition to know what your profit margin is
5) You don't want your friends to know how many bitcoins you have and ask you for money
6) You don't want criminals to target you to ask for ransoms or rob you etc
7) The list goes on...

Monero - Truly Anonymous Digital Cash. Bitcoin Reading List 2017
thelibertycap

Activity: 211
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 10, 2015, 11:16:54 AM

aren't you guys worried about tainting your coins? blacklisting and trouble spending mixed bitcoins is a real threat in the future (at least it is reasonable to calculate with this possibility).
bitcoin is an open ledger, there is no anonymity unless you think buying launch with bitcoin where they don't need an ID counts as withdrawing bitcoins. But wait until the big regulated transaction processors come into play and simply deny your transactions because your coins are on the list.
well, i guess you can always try to sell your tainted coins on a black market at a small discount...
Soros Shorts
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1617
Merit: 1012

View Profile
May 10, 2015, 11:25:17 AM

aren't you guys worried about tainting your coins? blacklisting and trouble spending mixed bitcoins is a real threat in the future (at least it is reasonable to calculate with this possibility).
bitcoin is an open ledger, there is no anonymity unless you think buying launch with bitcoin where they don't need an ID counts as withdrawing bitcoins. But wait until the big regulated transaction processors come into play and simply deny your transactions because your coins are on the list.
well, i guess you can always try to sell your tainted coins on a black market at a small discount...

At some point in time all coins in circulation will be tainted. It won't be practical to block transactions just because the coins were used in some alleged criminal activity at some point in the past.
GTO911

Activity: 672

View Profile
May 10, 2015, 11:32:12 AM

At some point in time all coins in circulation will be tainted. It won't be practical to block transactions just because the coins were used in some alleged criminal activity at some point in the past.

Some exchanges do not agree in what you say.
thelibertycap

View Profile
May 10, 2015, 11:55:18 AM

there will be fully regulated exchanges compliant with all government rules - 100% not tainted
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
May 10, 2015, 12:01:08 PM
Last edit: May 10, 2015, 01:04:57 PM by Amph

I use Monero to keep my financial life private

Yeah, but to access monero you most likely used BTC before, so whats the catch? they could at least know you bought X amount of Monero.

No, have stopped using BTC completely

and how you acquire monero then by mining? i don't see many other way to be honest

how they do know that my coin are mixed, they can't just tainting some coins

you could always sell your coins in a private forum, anonymity is there you just need to work hard to make it better
shulio
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1016

View Profile
May 10, 2015, 12:21:28 PM

Need to know your opinion.
Do you use Bitcoin Mixers/Tumblers/Anonymizers ?

I always protect my anonimity because I dont want people to know how many bitcoin that I have in my wallet because it might make my address to be a target for hacker, just for safety measure and also if you want to protect your anonimity then you can always use an exchanger to launder your bitcoin because it is way easy and you doesnt need to pay some percentage for the fee.

Nikinger

Activity: 141

View Profile
May 10, 2015, 01:00:08 PM

Note: To acquire a tainted coin, the previous owner just needs to use a mixer before transfering it to an exchanger.
That's why crime tainted coins can originate from a "clean" exchanger as well as from a mixer.

When doing bitcoin ↔ fiat conversion, sometimes I used to set up a face-to-face meeting and had some nice cappuccino&smalltalk moments, but I never had any problems except the block confirmation times was sometimes a bit longer than expected.

• If I buy bitcoins for speculation purpose and non-anonymous payments (because my full name is involved), I'm using online banking without hiding my identity. I almost never mix any cryptos I acquired with online banking. I never use any anonymization when dealing with.
  • If I plan to use crypto anonymously, I get it by settling a meeting as explained above. I never touch these cryptos without using an anonymization service. Prior to doing a payment, when reorganizing my stashes, when selling: I'm always using a mixer if not already done.
  • I never throw non-anonymous cryptos and anonymous cryptos in one pot.
  • I'm using a dedicated virtual machine for anonymous browsing and anonymous bitcoin activity which is network firewalled in that way no traffic can escape without using the anonymization interface. This virtual machine can't communicate with any machine in my LAN.
  • I never typed in my full name inside this virtual machine at any time. I never had me logged in into any full-name registered email, bank account, messenger, exchanger account inside this virtual machine at any time.

1EwKrY5Bn3T47r4tYqSv6mMQkUyu7hZckV
dr.offher

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 10, 2015, 01:04:36 PM

Wouldn't be the least surprised if all current mixing services were LE honeypots.

Just sending your money to an online wallet and then from there to an exchange should do it. Won't work against a global adversary, but then again, if you're not involved in money laundering you should be fine.
thelibertycap

View Profile
May 10, 2015, 01:09:19 PM

Note: To acquire a tainted coin, the previous owner just needs to use a mixer before transfering it to an exchanger.
That's why crime tainted coins can originate from a "clean" exchanger as well as from a mixer.

When doing bitcoin ↔ fiat conversion, sometimes I used to set up a face-to-face meeting and had some nice cappuccino&smalltalk moments, but I never had any problems except the block confirmation times was sometimes a bit longer than expected.

• If I buy bitcoins for speculation purpose and non-anonymous payments (because my full name is involved), I'm using online banking without hiding my identity. I almost never mix any cryptos I acquired with online banking. I never use any anonymization when dealing with.
  • If I plan to use crypto anonymously, I get it by settling a meeting as explained above. I never touch these cryptos without using an anonymization service. Prior to doing a payment, when reorganizing my stashes, when selling: I'm always using a mixer if not already done.
  • I never throw non-anonymous cryptos and anonymous cryptos in one pot.
  • I'm using a dedicated virtual machine for anonymous browsing and anonymous bitcoin activity which is network firewalled in that way no traffic can escape without using the anonymization interface. This virtual machine can't communicate with any machine in my LAN.
  • I never typed in my full name inside this virtual machine at any time. I never had me logged in into any full-name registered email, bank account, messenger, exchanger account inside this virtual machine at any time.

anonymizing bitcoins is a pain in the ass. it's just about time for us to settle on a proper anonymous coin that solves these things by design.
dr.offher

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 10, 2015, 01:13:03 PM

Monero is everything Bitcoin could have been by wasn't.

I think that in time more and more people will come to realize that Bitcoin isn't anonymous at all and move to XMR instead. Or at least use it in complement with XBT.
1Referee
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1427

View Profile
May 10, 2015, 01:19:12 PM

I definitely use a mixer to get fresh coins. I use it only when I want to send coins to my cold wallet. So I surely know no one knows what my cold wallet address is.

Bitmixer is doing the job very well for me. No, I don't say this because I wear a Bitmixer signature. Their service is simply the best.
tins

Activity: 882

View Profile
May 10, 2015, 05:08:53 PM

Really no need to ever mix coins...this thread was started by someone advertising a bitmixing service, seems like a clear agenda to me to scare people into thinking there is some kind od necessity in doing such a thing.
Cryddit
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1129

View Profile
May 10, 2015, 05:18:06 PM

No, I am not use such service. I am not doing anything illegal, then why I use that?

Doesn't have to be illegal to be private.  Some folks are embarrassed about things like buying a dirty magazine and a tube of hand lotion.
unamis76
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1009

View Profile
May 10, 2015, 05:40:10 PM

Not really into the hassle of mixing my coins... I wouldn't really benefit on the improved security Smiley
R2D221

Activity: 658

View Profile
May 10, 2015, 11:24:33 PM

No, I am not use such service. I am not doing anything illegal, then why I use that?

Doesn't have to be illegal to be private.  Some folks are embarrassed about things like buying a dirty magazine and a tube of hand lotion.

That would only be embarrassing if my family or my boss found out, but the government? I couldn't care less if they find out I masturbate every night.

An economy based on endless growth is unsustainable.
opossum

Activity: 924

View Profile
May 10, 2015, 11:34:08 PM

I would go as far to say other than the new coins being mined everyday/week over 50% are tainted in one way or another if you count tax avoidance then the % would be even higher. It is just like cash are you worried about 'tainted' fiat? You don't care because you don't know. I used to use a mixer quite a bit but as time has gone on, I have not needed to as someone said about buying a altcoin I do that but send to another exchange and trade back arbing covering fees. Most exchanges use throw away addresses and they are plenty good enough for my needs, I am not shady enough to need more anonymity yet and probably never will be.

▄▄█████████▄▄
      ▄█████████████████▄
   ▄████▀            ▀████▄
  █████                █████▄
 ███████████████████████████▄
████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███▄
████        ██████        ████
 ████▄      ██████      ▄████
  ▀████     ██████    ▄████▀