Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 07:47:58 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [Rumour] Top Gear Presenters going to Netflix  (Read 3692 times)
MUFC

Activity: 500
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 11, 2015, 10:51:40 AM

I hope the BBC go bankrupt and finally die or go private, they're a bunch of corrupt assholes regardless of what Jeremy has done.

TV Licences funds the BBC over 3 billion every year. No chance of bankruptcy, they are big fat pigs Angry

3 billion? I don't think so. Where are you getting that figure from? According to the following it's 25 million for 2013/14: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Television_licensing_in_the_United_Kingdom#Total_licence_sales

"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
EvenMatt

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

★secondstrade.com★

View Profile
June 11, 2015, 10:54:24 AM

i like top gear
very nice car documentation.
btw i have 2 Premium Netflix Accounts for sale.
pm me if interested Cool

gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3013

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
June 11, 2015, 10:56:48 AM

3 billion? I don't think so. Where are you getting that figure from? According to the following it's 25 million for 2013/14: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Television_licensing_in_the_United_Kingdom#Total_licence_sales

25 million times £145 or so is over £3 billion smackers.

The licence fee is becoming a dinosaur quicker than anyone expected. I can't see how it could still be around in a decade unless they extend it to offline watching via phones etc. That really wouldn't go down too well and would be a monster to enforce.

At some point they're going to have to address it. I wonder what their answer will be.
medUSA
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1003

--Signature Designs-- http://bit.ly/1Pjbx77

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2015, 11:06:21 AM

I had that figure off the top of my head, I read it somewhere before. I checked on BBC's site just now and it seems I have under-estimated their revenue from tv licences:

Total licence fee income collected increased by £16million from £3,706million to £3,722million as a result of modest household growth

Sources:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/annualreport/2014/executive/finances/licence_fee.html
http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/cs/media-centre.app
Lethn (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2015, 12:09:51 PM

I hope the BBC go bankrupt and finally die or go private, they're a bunch of corrupt assholes regardless of what Jeremy has done.

TV Licences funds the BBC over 3 billion every year. No chance of bankruptcy, they are big fat pigs Angry

It's also taken a huge plunge since they stopped showing Top Gear and they're begging for Hammond and May to come back, they tried bribing them and everything, I suspect the BBC will get pretty desperate once they see the viewing figures after the Top Gear presenters have left for good.
TrianglePythagoras

Activity: 274

View Profile
June 12, 2015, 12:06:55 PM

My friend showed my a 9GAG post or from some humor related site that they might go to netflix. What about all the international viewers that can't use netflix?
NUFCrichard
Legendary

Activity: 1218

View Profile
June 12, 2015, 12:22:20 PM

He didn't mean 3 billion people pay the licence fee!  That would be half of the world!  The total amount raised by the licence fee is over 3billion pounds though.

I will watch Top Gear if it goes to Netflix, but I don't disagree with him being fired.  He sounds like he was in the wrong and would have been fired from any other job for doing that.
Top Gear is past its best now anyway.  It might not be a bad idea for them go out on a high, otherwise it might really get stale.
roadbits
Legendary

Activity: 1092

View Profile
June 12, 2015, 01:09:25 PM

I don't know where the BBC got the idea that the show is somehow bigger than the hosts. The show is Jeremy, Richard and James.
Lethn (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 12, 2015, 02:16:44 PM

My friend showed my a 9GAG post or from some humor related site that they might go to netflix. What about all the international viewers that can't use netflix?

Just download it off bittorrent, someone will upload it I'm sure Cheesy
TrianglePythagoras

Activity: 274

View Profile
June 12, 2015, 03:30:54 PM

Just download it off bittorrent, someone will upload it I'm sure Cheesy

That's definitely an option, but it's going to be a shame not seeing them on TV anymore.
Lethn (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 12, 2015, 04:18:01 PM

Fuck television networks, they had their chance, especially the BBC.
hanomnom

Activity: 294
Merit: 11

View Profile
June 12, 2015, 08:17:17 PM

You know we're going to be the same repeats on Dave for the next bloody 20 years.

I love  them guys though, used to watch all the reruns every morning before we started getting the Horror Channel. Got extremely bored with it after a while though mind you, to the point it was getting annoying.  Tongue
Lethn (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 12, 2015, 10:59:47 PM

It just goes to show you that even though the fuckers hated them they had nothing better to replace them with, it's going to be fun to watch them next year.
Finchy

Activity: 315

View Profile
June 13, 2015, 07:59:10 AM

C'mon, who actually watches TV or pays for Netflix? As soon as a program has finished airing either on TV or Netflix it is ripped an uploaded on torrents and warez sites and Top Gear will be no different. I never watched Top Gear when it was on TV but downloaded them after so I could watch them any time. I actually have all 22 seasons downloaded but haven't watched the earlier ones.
MUFC

Activity: 500

View Profile
June 13, 2015, 09:12:05 AM

He didn't mean 3 billion people pay the licence fee!  That would be half of the world!  The total amount raised by the licence fee is over 3billion pounds though.

Neither did I. I misread it as 25 million pounds is how much they received from TV license sails Cheesy.

I will watch Top Gear if it goes to Netflix, but I don't disagree with him being fired.  He sounds like he was in the wrong and would have been fired from any other job for doing that.
Top Gear is past its best now anyway.  It might not be a bad idea for them go out on a high, otherwise it might really get stale.

He pushed his luck far too many times and that was what pushed them over the edge to sacking him. Had it been anyone else they would have sacked him long ago. You can't go around hitting people and acting like a diva.

Lethn (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 13, 2015, 09:32:11 AM

The interesting thing is it was Clarkson himself who reported it and apologised, yeah, he should get a punishment for hitting somebody, what I find ridiculous though is how people just can't let it fucking go. The difference is while he did punch somebody he clearly regretted it afterwards and it wasn't as if he tried to beat the living shit out of him.

Frankly I think this is going to be better for everybody, including him, he clearly was not happy at the BBC and I suspect this was a build up after having to deal with lots and lots of shit over the years, nobody loses their temper over food unless they've had shit happen to them beforehand.

Source: In school I had a really bad day and ended up telling a teacher to fuck off and slammed the door on him and got suspended for it, ever since I left school I've never been happier in comparison lol.

This is why I do find myself sympathising with him regardless because the BBC must be the biggest bunch of pretentious and petty assholes to ever work with never mind talk to.

fyi you know the BBC suck when even John Cleese is getting tired of them.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/news/john-cleese-the-bbc-makes-crap-comedy-and-would-never-commission-monty-python-now-9542942.html
Lethn (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 13, 2015, 10:13:14 AM

http://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/tv-radio/583541/Clarkson-Hammond-May-final-Top-Gear-episode-record-breaking-figures
NUFCrichard
Legendary

Activity: 1218

View Profile
June 13, 2015, 10:49:38 AM

That's not surprising with the amount of press that they got with it being cancelled and with the whole Argentina affair.
I would guess that they had a spike after Hammond had his crash and nearly died too.

It doesn't make it acceptable for the hosts to assault people though.  We'll see if it is as popular in the future as a 45min show with adverts, or when you can binge them all together on netflix.  I am not so sure.
Lethn (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 13, 2015, 11:01:23 AM

I love that line people always use, of course it doesn't make it acceptable, nobody is actually saying that if you noticed, but yet, people insist on making more out of it than what actually happened, they had a scuffle they got pissed off, things have calmed down, life goes on.

I think some people must be living in a fucking bubble because where I've grown up that kind of shit happens constantly, I expect Clarkson will be a lot calmer now though once he's gotten some distance from the BBC because he's already looking happier now he's out of there.
aahzmundus

Activity: 644

Invest & Earn: https://cloudthink.io

View Profile
June 13, 2015, 11:04:51 AM

Now that makes for interesting rumor. Hard to fathom, but if it's true, it would be something pretty interesting.
Let's see how it goes

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: