Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 08:36:56 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Please discuss. Is the future of crypto in POW?  (Read 1971 times)
tokeweed (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3990
Merit: 1426

Life, Love and Laughter...

View Profile
May 10, 2015, 01:25:52 PM

If there was a POW phase in a POS coin, then yeah.  The whole point is avoiding an IPO/ICO/Presale where FINCEN can then knock on your door because of it.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT|
4,000+ GAMES
███████████████████
██████████▀▄▀▀▀████
████████▀▄▀██░░░███
██████▀▄███▄▀█▄▄▄██
███▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀███
██░░░░░░░░█░░░░░░██
██▄░░░░░░░█░░░░░▄██
███▄░░░░▄█▄▄▄▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
▀████████
░░▀██████
░░░░▀████
░░░░░░███
▄░░░░░███
▀█▄▄▄████
░░▀▀█████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
░░░▀▀████
██▄▄▀░███
█░░█▄░░██
░████▀▀██
█░░█▀░░██
██▀▀▄░███
░░░▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
|
██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██
▀█▄░▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄░▄█▀
▄▄███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███▄▄
▀░▀▄▀▄░░░░░▄▄░░░░░▄▀▄▀░▀
▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▄▄▀▀▄▄▄▄▄
█░▄▄▄██████▄▄▄░█
█░▀▀████████▀▀░█
█░█▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██░█
█░█▀████████░█
█░█░██████░█
▀▄▀▄███▀▄▀
▄▀▄
▀▄▄▄▄▀▄▀▄
██▀░░░░░░░░▀██
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
░▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███▀▄▀█████████████████▀▄▀
█████▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄███░▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
███████▀▄▀██████░█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████▀▄▄░███▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███████████░███████▀▄▀
███████████░██▀▄▄▄▄▀
███████████░▀▄▀
████████████▄▀
███████████
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
▄███▀▄▄███████▄▄▀███▄
▄██▀▄█▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█▄▀██▄
▄██▄██████▀████░███▄██▄
███░████████▀██░████░███
███░████░█▄████▀░████░███
███░████░███▄████████░███
▀██▄▀███░█████▄█████▀▄██▀
▀██▄▀█▄▄▄██████▄██▀▄██▀
▀███▄▀▀███████▀▀▄███▀
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
OFFICIAL PARTNERSHIP
FAZE CLAN
SSC NAPOLI
|
fox19891989

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 10, 2015, 01:29:48 PM

POW OR POS is the future, op you forget pos coin, or pos/pow hybrid coin like ppc.

Ico, ipo, presale is illegal in US, they(those coin devs) will be put into jail in the future. SEC hates them, including crowedfunding.
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
May 10, 2015, 04:46:04 PM

POW OR POS is the future, op you forget pos coin, or pos/pow hybrid coin like ppc.

Ico, ipo, presale is illegal in US, they(those coin devs) will be put into jail in the future. SEC hates them, including crowedfunding.

if you're going to do a PoS coin then you would need proof of burn or else you'd be in the same situation
as someone selling securities, basically.

manfred
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1001

Energy is Wealth

View Profile
May 10, 2015, 05:06:32 PM

Nothing beyond where an actual work has to be done to earn value will ever be fair

POW is the only way
Proof of Work done in a fair way was always going to be the future.
Selling thin air has no future.
Flyskyhigh

Activity: 291
Merit: 250

Ezekiel 34:11, John 10:25-30

View Profile
May 10, 2015, 05:26:32 PM

Everything can be falsified. IPO, premine, instamine. The fact is there is very little fairness at all; even PoW is not fair anymore...as there are basically leveraged buyouts of all forms of mining farms...monopolies on mining, allow even "fair" PoW released coins are totally lopsided.

Just accept the fact that every coin is a scam.

So take your pick.

Nothing is fair. I just get behind coins that I like, that I feel have good people behind them...if you get a feel for the type of people in a coin's community, you can tell if they are pure or wicked scammers. That's about it. Smiley

Sick of mining?  Start minting!  5% per year!  Mintcoin "MINT"
R2D221

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 10, 2015, 05:32:45 PM

Fiat is a scam, cryptocoins are a scam, so what's next? Ditching money altogether?

An economy based on endless growth is unsustainable.
newcripto

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 10, 2015, 05:38:10 PM

The future of crypto is in both Pow and Pos.Pos is must thing to attract the investors and to convince them to hold their investments/coins for long term.Pos can bring them nice profit on permanent basis instead of selling their assets once and finish.
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
May 10, 2015, 06:50:16 PM

I wonder if people will finally ever understand that PoS is never a replacement for PoW. At best it can make attacks on PoW a bit harder, maybe.

Worst thing is Vitalik has somehow convinced himself it will work, as long as you "reject long forks". Uh-huh. The arguments in favor of it want me to pull my hair out.

I don't think he did convince himself.  Didn't ethereum end up with PoW?

inBitweTrust

Activity: 658
Merit: 501

View Profile
May 10, 2015, 07:53:18 PM

I wonder if people will finally ever understand that PoS is never a replacement for PoW. At best it can make attacks on PoW a bit harder, maybe.

Worst thing is Vitalik has somehow convinced himself it will work, as long as you "reject long forks". Uh-huh. The arguments in favor of it want me to pull my hair out.

I don't think he did convince himself.  Didn't ethereum end up with PoW?

Yes, but only as a short term measure(ASIC resistant Dagger Hashimoto PoW) with few tricks to force over to some variation of TaPoS in the near future.

WhatTheGox
Legendary

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 10, 2015, 07:57:16 PM

Fiat is a scam, cryptocoins are a scam, so what's next? Ditching money altogether?

Yeah that could happen in a 100 years or so or perhaps a type of smarter money which can auto trade most of your wants/needs inline within your means.  Maybe bitcoin who knows.
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
May 10, 2015, 09:30:56 PM

My thesis:

POW is fairly safe and relatively efficient in an adversarial environment where an attacker _could_ muster a large majority of work _if_ there is a plausible fall-back to consensus (or some other related construct.)  This thesis is based on the conjuncture that an attacker would not expend the effort to gain a POW advantage in the first place if his efforts may well be for naught.

A related thesis:

From my first involvement in Bitcoin I took interest in the concept that Bitcoin's strength is exactly that it CAN AND WOULD FAIL under a successful attack (and likely be replace by something even worse.)  A fork with an appropriate fix is fairly trivial technically.  This 'feature' makes for a very thorny adversary in Bitcoin.  I anticipated that a competent attacker would be fully aware of this and thus I would look for threats to be very labyrinthine.  It is this which makes me wary of the simplistic scaling push, IBLT developments, etc.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
johnyj
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
May 11, 2015, 01:04:56 AM

POS is a dead end, because of the non-monopole nature of cryptocurrency, people will pay nothing for a coin that cost nothing to make

For POW coins, it seems there is only one issue in the current design: The reward changing is too dramatic and too far away

Once every four year, the daily coin generation will be cut by half, this will make one huge bubble every 4 years, which makes the currency value forever unstable. Imagine that the reward reduces every year by 10% , it would still achieve the same result but much smoother

celestio

Activity: 770

View Profile
May 11, 2015, 02:01:17 AM

POS is a dead end, because of the non-monopole nature of cryptocurrency, people will pay nothing for a coin that cost nothing to make

For POW coins, it seems there is only one issue in the current design: The reward changing is too dramatic and too far away

Once every four year, the daily coin generation will be cut by half, this will make one huge bubble every 4 years, which makes the currency value forever unstable. Imagine that the reward reduces every year by 10% , it would still achieve the same result but much smoother

With cryptonote coins there is no dramatic reward change. It smoothly goes down automatically.

"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime" - Satoshi Nakamoto, June 17, 2010
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
May 11, 2015, 07:16:13 AM

i think there is a good reason behind that 4 years period, satoshi wanted to give enough time to the miners, so the technology can advance, if the block reward was changed to something like every year(even by a small amount), the small miners would be taken out of the game earlys and the big one would also have stumbled in profit problems
shulio
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1016

View Profile
May 11, 2015, 08:48:32 AM

i think there is a good reason behind that 4 years period, satoshi wanted to give enough time to the miners, so the technology can advance, if the block reward was changed to something like every year(even by a small amount), the small miners would be taken out of the game earlys and the big one would also have stumbled in profit problems

Unfortunately, the fours year period doesnt do any good because the difficulty is keep on rising each day. Even now, the small miners has been out of the game because they cant compete with the big farm which has better electricity cost. Cutting the block reward into smaller each year could get a better result as it will slow down the distribution
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
May 11, 2015, 09:17:35 AM
Last edit: May 11, 2015, 11:22:04 AM by Amph

Unfortunately, the fours year period doesnt do any good because the difficulty is keep on rising each day. Even now, the small miners has been out of the game because they cant compete with the big farm which has better electricity cost. Cutting the block reward into smaller each year could get a better result as it will slow down the distribution

yeah but, with let's say an halving every year, it would have been even worse for casual miners, because of the smaller profit + the continued increase in difficulty, which is not really true, right now the diff is not increasing too much for exampele..., this is what i mean
shulio
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1016

View Profile
May 11, 2015, 09:25:14 AM

yeah but, with let's say an halving every year, it would have been even worse for casual miners, because of the smaller profit + the continued increase in difficulty, which is not really true, right now the diff is not increase too much for exampele..., this is what i mean

The halving purpose could be to slow down the distribution, which mean if there is less bitcoin in the market then the price could go higher but there is no guarantee about this things . Anyway we can only rely on the ASIC manufacturer and hope that they could get a better miner will less power consumption
Soros Shorts
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1617
Merit: 1012

View Profile
May 11, 2015, 11:08:11 AM

Exactly. The concept of letting the largest stakeholders make the most money (without doing any significant work) is pretty close to how the central banks of the world currently operate. Do people really want that from a cryptocurrency?
Troonetpt

Activity: 322

View Profile
May 11, 2015, 11:24:05 AM

Exactly. The concept of letting the largest stakeholders make the most money (without doing any significant work) is pretty close to how the central banks of the world currently operate. Do people really want that from a cryptocurrency?
As a coin, pos may dead, but as a platform , they may live, Some pos coin as nxt is not just a coin , but a platform, they can provide lots of feature which bitcoin can't provide.
celestio

Activity: 770

View Profile
May 11, 2015, 12:29:55 PM

That's true and that's one of the main reasons I'm against using PoS in a cryptocurrency.

"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime" - Satoshi Nakamoto, June 17, 2010
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: