Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 12:32:43 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Should bitcointalk.org move these topics to a new domain to prevent a seizure or other legal interference?
Yes - 33 (50.8%)
No - 32 (49.2%)
Total Voters: 65

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [POLL] should the "securities," "lending," etc. sub-fora be moved to a new site?  (Read 3267 times)
BC Systems

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 04, 2012, 08:52:18 PM

The whole point of Bitcoin is to be a currency that you can do business with.

To sever the marketplace would be removing Bitcoin from what it's intended for. As far as I know, this forum is one of the few marketplaces where you can do direct business with Bitcoins through almost anything.

If Gavin wants Bitcoin to remain as a niche hobby in spirit, then we should just make this forum technical discussion only then.
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
finkleshnorts (OP)

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 05, 2012, 01:53:24 PM

Splitting bitcointalk up would be a mistake, and it will not solve the problem of scams. The scams found in the lending and securities sub-fora are just a small subset of the scams present on bitcointalk - there are also scams in mining, newbies, trading, and all of the other marketplace sub-fora. I don't know what the answer is to preventing bitcoin scams but it is not this.

Gavin wants to sever the entire marketplace.

To be honest, I'm not sure that's a bad idea.  The Bitcoin world has grown large enough that it could probably sustain a stand-alone market-place messageboard, I think it would be a healthy thing if people relied less on this forum as a primary means of promoting their businesses.

Scams have come to dominate the conversation here because they've taken place here.  Had they not been launched and promoted here, there'd still be discussion of them but not thread after thread of "where's my money" across multiple forums.  The number and scope of scams is only going to increase so we need to think about ways to ensure that they don't continue to be the dominant topic of discussion here.

I agree.
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
September 05, 2012, 02:35:08 PM

There's alternative way to achieve the desired seperation - instead of moving the business subforums leave them here and move tech support and development forums to bitcoin.org
stochastic

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 05, 2012, 08:22:09 PM

There's alternative way to achieve the desired seperation - instead of moving the business subforums leave them here and move tech support and development forums to bitcoin.org

+1

Introducing constraints to the economy only serves to limit what can be economical.
Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686

Wat

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2012, 07:29:16 AM

Thats a great suggestion.

+1

justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
September 13, 2012, 01:45:27 AM

New suggestion: Leave everything the way it is except change the domain name to "bitcoindrama.org"
BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127

View Profile WWW
September 13, 2012, 02:28:29 AM

New suggestion: Leave everything the way it is except change the domain name to "bitcoindrama.org"
LOL, I like it.

1Kz25jm6pjNTaz8bFezEYUeBYfEtpjuKRG | PGP: B5797C4F

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
mobodick

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 13, 2012, 10:32:54 AM

I think that this board should at least be split in these parts.
1) bitcoin internals (development, general bitcoin stuff, focus on the network)
2) speculation (everything to do with bitcoin<->other currencies/financial instruments)
3) merchants (everything to do with bitcoin<->goods/services)

Furthermore, businesses should not be allowed to use the board for official communications or for organizing their business on.
It would get rid of the clutterfest that's been going on.
FlipPro
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1015

View Profile
September 13, 2012, 10:41:20 AM

Ponzis must go. Vote with your hearts people. Bitcoin has a serious future, but only if we are willing to stand by the truth.
FlipPro
Legendary

View Profile
September 13, 2012, 10:41:48 AM

They're all scams....like scientology.

+1
FlipPro
Legendary

View Profile
September 13, 2012, 10:43:12 AM

Please stop trying to troll this thread.
You're the biggest non-productive troll I have ever seen in my life.

Please begin to do something in this community, if not you're going to start catching an ignore from alot of people..
FlipPro
Legendary

View Profile
September 13, 2012, 10:47:31 AM

I'd like bitcointalk.org to be in the spirit of the Internet's original ".org" -- For Non-Commercial Use Only.

But... it is hard to figure out what is Commercial Use and what isn't (e.g. some mining pools are non-profit, some for-profit, and I'm sure there are some in the fuzzy middle), which is why there really aren't any rules for .org any more.

I agree with you 1000% Gavin. This forum should be non-profit operated.

Which means you guys can set rules.

Which means obvious ponzis like the bitcoin savings and trust can be removed by the staff.
mobodick

View Profile
September 13, 2012, 12:29:05 PM

Trolls like you are ruining this site.  Please take your immature antics to another forum.
...said the unicorn pony.
FlipPro
Legendary

View Profile
September 13, 2012, 01:59:04 PM

Trolls like you are ruining this site.  Please take your immature antics to another forum.

There should be a scammer tag for unproductive people like Rarity. They contribute no value to the community, and instead waste all of our time by polluting our forum with garbage.
Rarity

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

Look upon me, BitcoinTalk, for I...am...Rarity!

View Profile
September 13, 2012, 02:41:49 PM

It is a shame that I have to suffer personal attacks on my character and baseless made up accusations of scamming simply because I had the gall to ask an admitted troll to leave me alone. 

"Money is like manure: Spread around, it helps things grow. Piled up in one place, it just stinks."
mobodick

View Profile
September 13, 2012, 03:20:20 PM

Trolls like you are ruining this site.  Please take your immature antics to another forum.

There should be a scammer tag for unproductive people like Rarity. They contribute no value to the community, and instead waste all of our time by polluting our forum with garbage.

I don't agree.
Rarity can bring good points to discussions.
Same can be said for you.

In general, i feel that tagging people for anything other than known scammings sould be avoided altogether.
Maybe a system so you can managed such tags for personal use, but not globaly.
One persons hero is anothers troll.
bitcoinbear

Activity: 518

View Profile
September 14, 2012, 05:33:34 PM

The whole point of Bitcoin is to be a currency that you can do business with.

To sever the marketplace would be removing Bitcoin from what it's intended for. As far as I know, this forum is one of the few marketplaces where you can do direct business with Bitcoins through almost anything.

If Gavin wants Bitcoin to remain as a niche hobby in spirit, then we should just make this forum technical discussion only then.

If the marketplace was split off to bitcoinmarket.org or whatever, then that forum would prosper and bitcointalk.org would wither away and die.

CryptoNote needs you! Join the elite merged mining forces right now here in Fantomcoin topic: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=598823.0
giszmo
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
September 14, 2012, 07:16:04 PM

I voted "no" because I see the great potential for legitimate business. The scams so far were 90% PPT. Sorry but those who got burned deserved to get burned and hiding it doesn't prevent more people from getting burned. The open forum here can help get an idea of how to detect a scam and in the end of the day everybody has to decide for himself which risk he wants to take and which proof to ask for. If I want you to invest $10k in my business, I not only make my business as transparent as possible but invite you to a 3h skype meeting to present you all my assets and answer all your questions. I don't just hold a photoshopped passport to the camera and ask 100k for my mining operations from people that I don't care about. Still the latter seams to work in bitcoin land. Not my fault and not the fault of the host of this forum.

Keeping business out of bitcoin is a ridiculous idea and not doing so leaves you to the problem to detect before the fact what is a scam and what not regardless whether you are dealing with HYIP, BFL or casascius coins.

ɃɃWalletScrutiny.comIs your wallet secure?(Methodology)
WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
evolve

Activity: 700

daytrader/superhero

View Profile
September 26, 2012, 06:59:58 PM

Doesn't matter now, the SEC (or the equivalent in other countries) will start shutting them down soon enough.  Their investigation of pirate is just the beginning...I wouldn't be surprised if the entire forum gets shut down for openly allowing the ponzis to operate and advertise here.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: