Bitcoin Forum
June 15, 2024, 07:40:41 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: When would be the moment you consider BTC's future is assured?  (Read 2338 times)
shulio
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1016

View Profile
May 10, 2015, 07:13:19 PM

BTC's future is already assured as there are enough idealogues like myself that aren't going to give up on it. We will force it to adapt and grow if need be. Satoshi pointed us to the future and we are going to follow this project through.

Satoshi pointed us to an unsure future. He said himself that in few years ahead there will be alot of bitcoin transaction or it will be nothing by then. Satoshi means that he , himself is not sure about the future either because at the end, fiat will always win because goverment support it
inBitweTrust

Activity: 658
Merit: 501

View Profile
May 10, 2015, 07:43:32 PM

BTC's future is already assured as there are enough idealogues like myself that aren't going to give up on it. We will force it to adapt and grow if need be. Satoshi pointed us to the future and we are going to follow this project through.

Satoshi pointed us to an unsure future. He said himself that in few years ahead there will be alot of bitcoin transaction or it will be nothing by then. Satoshi means that he , himself is not sure about the future either because at the end, fiat will always win because goverment support it

Satoshi didn't get everything right or perhaps he was correct at the time, but certainly that comment doesn't apply now. Will Bitcoin be around in 80 years?.... who knows, all currencies eventually fail as history has proven.

I have often heard that statement repeated by journalists and bitcoin advocates alike... " Bitcoin will either be worth 100ks/millions or nothing" and it is complete bullocks. All it takes is 2 bitcoin fanatics to create the smallest market of trading and to mine and purchase up all the coins. If they cannot afford security than they will merely have to perform a fork and add a TapoS/PoS algo ontop of PoW.  Bitcoin is assured as long as enough of us fanatics give it value and is unlikely to drop to 0 in my lifetime even if it is traded as a game/token by collectors for sentimental value.

Bitcoin is an open source project with certain fundamental principles and the ability for the mechanics or details to evolve. This is why bitcoins future(80years +) is assured.

futureofbitcoin

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 10, 2015, 08:41:51 PM

All it takes is 2 bitcoin fanatics to create the smallest market of trading and to mine and purchase up all the coins. If they cannot afford security than they will merely have to perform a fork and add a TapoS/PoS algo ontop of PoW.  Bitcoin is assured as long as enough of us fanatics give it value and is unlikely to drop to 0 in my lifetime even if it is traded as a game/token by collectors for sentimental value.

Bitcoin is an open source project with certain fundamental principles and the ability for the mechanics or details to evolve. This is why bitcoins future(80years +) is assured.

That's what "nothing" means, my friend. I can write some words on a piece of paper and tell my little 5 year old niece it's money and use it with her. That doesn't make it valuable...

inBitweTrust

Activity: 658
Merit: 501

View Profile
May 10, 2015, 10:31:06 PM

That's what "nothing" means, my friend. I can write some words on a piece of paper and tell my little 5 year old niece it's money and use it with her. That doesn't make it valuable...

Sure it does. As long as both people agree that it is a token that represents value and it is honored, it will become "futureofbitcoin" fiat currency with the utility of demarcating an IOU which does represent value (although rather small).

I will personally buy all bitcoin that gets minted if no one else does. It will never go to "nothing"

The two person example was a worst case scenario as well as the number of bitcoin fanatics that are unlikely to stray from this project amount to between 200k-1 million of the 4-7 million bitcoin owners. That is a decent market of ideological supporters that can maintain and grow it regardless of what obstacles are presented.

SRG

Activity: 127
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 10, 2015, 10:34:12 PM

Never, sorry.  Bitcoin is new technology and there is always the possibility that something will come up that hurts the protocol.

Don't get me wrong, I love bitcoin, but never can be sure.
Slark
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1004

View Profile
May 10, 2015, 10:46:12 PM

Never, sorry.  Bitcoin is new technology and there is always the possibility that something will come up that hurts the protocol.

Don't get me wrong, I love bitcoin, but never can be sure.
While bitcoin's protocol can be changed. You can't change it on the whim by bitcoin developers, you will need consensus of majority of bitcoin users for that change.
An I can agree with you that for now there's no guarantee that if you invest your money in bitcoin you will win the future... There is too many positive news that have no effect on bitcoin imo.
fryarminer

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 11, 2015, 07:03:46 AM

What he said. Bitcoin is here to stay. No way I'm selling my coins even at the price that the market is at right now, and I'm sure there's a lot of people who feel the same.
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
May 11, 2015, 07:07:17 AM

What he said. Bitcoin is here to stay. No way I'm selling my coins even at the price that the market is at right now, and I'm sure there's a lot of people who feel the same.

well but this means that you will dump at some point, and if everybody will do this then it's not really assured...unless you plan to hold a big portion or whatever
futureofbitcoin

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 11, 2015, 07:22:39 AM

Sure it does. As long as both people agree that it is a token that represents value and it is honored, it will become "futureofbitcoin" fiat currency with the utility of demarcating an IOU which does represent value (although rather small).

I will personally buy all bitcoin that gets minted if no one else does. It will never go to "nothing"

The two person example was a worst case scenario as well as the number of bitcoin fanatics that are unlikely to stray from this project amount to between 200k-1 million of the 4-7 million bitcoin owners. That is a decent market of ideological supporters that can maintain and grow it regardless of what obstacles are presented.
See, you're arguing semantics, not the point itself. One shouldn't need to type "bitcoin will have less than 4 users transacting values of less than 50 dollars (USD value at 4:33pm EST, May 11th, 2015) per week..." It's extremely tedious, and unnecessary. Most people understand that "nothing", or "bitcoin is dead" simply implies that there will be very few people using it, if at all. Bitcoin doesn't have to literally become "alive" scientifically, then "die".

I suspect that there are way fewer number of hardcore ideological supporters. Most probably sympathize with the ideology, but will give up if they realize that bitcoin becomes impractical because very, very few people accept it. Plus all the services that are run by people driving by profit instead of ideology will close down, breaking most of bitcoin's infrastructure.

It might still be used among a few thousand people. I think most reasonable people would be okay with calling that "bitcoin is dead" or something similar.  

*Note i'm not saying the above scenario will happen, I'm just trying to explain that saying "bitcoin will never go to nothing because I will always own it" is silly. arguing about the semantics is not practical or useful in any way.
Daniel91
Legendary

Activity: 3374
Merit: 1824

View Profile
May 11, 2015, 07:24:21 AM

In my opinion, when BTC become a common method of payment on the Internet, and send and receive money as it is currently paypal.
Bitcoin value should stabilize and BTC enter the main media, TV; radio, main newspapers etc.
Average users should be informed and educated about Bitcoin, in order to understand its advantages and disadvantages.
Only then I will consider that BTC's future is assured.

.freebitcoin.       ▄▄▄█▀▀██▄▄▄
   ▄▄██████▄▄█  █▀▀█▄▄
  ███  █▀▀███████▄▄██▀
   ▀▀▀██▄▄█  ████▀▀  ▄██
▄███▄▄  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▄▄██████
██▀▀█████▄     ▄██▀█ ▀▀██
██▄▄███▀▀██   ███▀ ▄▄  ▀█
███████▄▄███ ███▄▄ ▀▀▄  █
██▀▀████████ █████  █▀▄██
 █▄▄████████ █████   ███
  ▀████  ███ ████▄▄███▀
     ▀▀████   ████▀▀
BITCOIN
DICE
EVENT
BETTING
WIN A LAMBO !

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄▄▄▄██████████████████████████████████▄▄▄▄
▀██████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄
▄▄████▄█████▄████████████████████████████▄█████▄████▄▄
▀████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████▀▀▀██████████▄
  ▀▀▀████▄▄▄███████████████████████████████▄▄▄██████████
       ▀█████▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
.PLAY NOW.
gentlemand (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3014

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
May 11, 2015, 10:15:48 AM

well but this means that you will dump at some point, and if everybody will do this then it's not really assured...unless you plan to hold a big portion or whatever

I would hope that the thinking among most is that there'll be a moment where selling becomes irrelevant or simply a pointless idea. It won't become a proper success unless it becomes much more widely accepted. I stuck my money in with the intention of never taking it out.
Collymore

Activity: 22
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 11, 2015, 10:54:04 AM

I would like to say mainstream adoption but will bitcoin ever be fully assured? I think any good idea or tech is always under threat from advances in new tech and better ideas. Something better than bitcoin could come along eventually but hopefully btc could evolve and adapt to make those changes if necessary.
erikalui
Legendary

Activity: 2632
Merit: 1094

View Profile WWW
May 11, 2015, 11:09:45 AM

When it is accepted worldwide like USD, EURO, GBP....As of now, it's not legalized in my country and hence it has no future nor any reliability to exist more than 5 years. Also, it's price shouldn't fluctuate to an extent that it reaches $1200 in 1 year and $200 in the next year. It should be regulated by the Government.

acquafredda
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1481

View Profile
May 11, 2015, 11:21:20 AM

Yes.
I do value my coins way more than this very low price.
I believe in the project which is behind it. So far, there's nothing comparable to BTC in terms of money.
I'm using it more and more to buy stuff and I still feel it incredible.
I don't know about you guys but I feel so excited about it.

I'm only sad that I can't afford to mine them anymore: it was so good to feel I was "mining" BTC.
GingerAle
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
May 11, 2015, 11:35:37 AM

The moment BTC's future is assured?

When I go to pay for my groceries at the supermarket and the verifone (or some other) payment terminal (with the credit card slot etc) has a bitcoin logo next to the visa / mastercard / amex / discover logo.

What would this mean? It would mean either that bitcoin is accepted as a currency or is being used as a remittance backbone - both of these would assure the future.

If anyone has the resources to hack one of these to work with bitcoin (probably using a chip card), this would advance cryptocurrencies the most IMO. If anyone has the VC backing to get a credit card company going offering credit using cryptocurrency as the remittance network, thats the way to go.

< Track your bitcoins! > < Track them again! > <<< [url=https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1qomqt/what_a_landmark_legal_case_from_mid1700s_scotland/] What is fungibility? >>> 46P88uZ4edEgsk7iKQUGu2FUDYcdHm2HtLFiGLp1inG4e4f9PTb4mbHWYWFZGYUeQidJ8hFym2WUmWc p34X8HHmFS2LXJkf <<< Free subdomains at moneroworld.com!! >>> <<< If you don't want to run your own node, point your wallet to node.moneroworld.com, and get connected to a random node! @@@@ FUCK ALL THE PROFITEERS! PROOF OF WORK OR ITS A SCAM !!! @@@@
Mountain Jew

Activity: 60
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 11, 2015, 12:11:45 PM

It's far from assured as anything could happen, but I think bitcoin has likely far exceeded satoshis expectations. Bitcoin could end up becoming some sort of fad, though I hope it doesn't. Personally I want to be able to spend bitcoin all over the world on my travels and once that happens (if it does) I will consider bitcoin secured.
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4256
Merit: 4523

View Profile
May 11, 2015, 12:18:16 PM

I just want to be able to spend it so for me to be assured I would need to be able to walk down the high street or mall and be able to spend it in many shops. Doesn't have to be all of them but if they can accept credit cards which 99% seem to do then they can also accept bitcoin.

bitcoin has no arms and legs or mouth to sell itself.. its the bitcoin users IE YOU, that need to promote bitcoin.
have you talked to the shops in your town about bitcoin?

unless shops see that there is a demand/need to offer bitcoin, they wont bother. so start asking shops about bitcoin to try showing them there is a demand.

after all if the shops YOU visit don't even know YOU want them to have bitcoin payment options, its unlikely that they will offer it to YOU.

this is not a personal attack on anyone, just a hopeful realization to anyone reading this that you yourselves need to do the work, because bitcoin is just code.

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
erikalui
Legendary

Activity: 2632
Merit: 1094

View Profile WWW
May 11, 2015, 12:35:12 PM

When it is accepted worldwide like USD, EURO, GBP....As of now, it's not legalized in my country and hence it has no future nor any reliability to exist more than 5 years. Also, it's price shouldn't fluctuate to an extent that it reaches $1200 in 1 year and $200 in the next year. It should be regulated by the Government.

No it shouldn't. You want government to track your transaction and tax you based on your blockchain history?

IMO its future will be assured when at least 10% of world's population starts using it daily.

Yes I want to be taxed unlike those who run away from taxes and have black money as they want to launder money. I don't gamble or own illegal goods to hide my income. I am still paying my taxes regularly.

Beliathon

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
May 11, 2015, 02:50:33 PM

January 3rd, 2009

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1011

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
May 11, 2015, 04:26:17 PM

i think the year 2013 was that moment with all the talking about regulation and so on. i doubt that bitcoin will fail at this stage anymore. call me a bull  Wink

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: