Bitcoin Forum
May 17, 2024, 01:32:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: would you consider 0.08 Cent per kWh cheap nowadays ?  (Read 2251 times)
Sakarias-Corporation (OP)

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

Call me Alice. just Alice.

View Profile WWW
May 10, 2015, 03:25:48 PM
Last edit: May 10, 2015, 04:11:06 PM by Sakarias-Corporation

would you consider 0.08 Cent per kWh cheap nowadays ?

Xialla
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1000

/dev/null

View Profile
May 10, 2015, 03:28:22 PM

I really hope that you are just trolling.) personally paying almost 4x more. so yes, it is very cheap..

View Profile WWW
May 10, 2015, 03:29:29 PM

I really hope that you are just trolling.) personally paying almost 4x more. so yes, it is very cheap..

i'm not actually, i've never checked prices, i was lucky a while back and got around 5KW free for a couple of months, and i just realised that i pay 0.08 Cents per KwH so i thought i might start some mining again,

Xialla
Legendary

/dev/null

View Profile
May 10, 2015, 03:33:20 PM

even with cheap electricity like you had I don't think that is good idea to star mining these days. maybe something small just for hobby but nothing for thousands of dollars, risk is to high compared to buy BTC at ~250$ range.

View Profile WWW
May 10, 2015, 03:48:50 PM

even with cheap electricity like you had I don't think that is good idea to star mining these days. maybe something small just for hobby but nothing for thousands of dollars, risk is to high compared to buy BTC at ~250$ range.
was thinking of buying a bunch of S1s, undervolt them to ~1W per Gh/S or less. mostly for fun hehe, since their so cheap now

Xialla
Legendary

/dev/null

View Profile
May 10, 2015, 03:59:42 PM

ahh for fun and "geek stuff" it is fine with this electricity rates.) anyway, for anything little bit serious is imho better to buy on exchange. omg, I'm just missing good old times with loud hot room, where everything blinking in different colors and generating BTC:(

View Profile WWW
May 10, 2015, 04:07:46 PM

ahh for fun and "geek stuff" it is fine with this electricity rates.) anyway, for anything little bit serious is imho better to buy on exchange. omg, I'm just missing good old times with loud hot room, where everything blinking in different colors and generating BTC:(

Those were some good old times, i used to have a Bunch of S1s (about 20) when they just came out, damn things got hot, but it was wonderful Smiley or back in the days when GPUs were king hehe

Borisz

Activity: 476
Merit: 251

View Profile
May 10, 2015, 04:09:31 PM

would you consider 0.08 Cent per Kw/H cheap nowadays ?

Yes, that is pretty cheap. In Germany for example its around 0.26 €/kWh, though it is considered  quite expensive and some other EU countries have a rate of around 0.12-0.14 €/kWh. Still, 8 cents is a pretty good price. Not only for BTC mining, but in general. You can also find plenty of charts online to compare electricity prices around the world.

On that note, I would like to point out that a unit of energy you are paying for is not Kw/H but kWh  Wink ("kilo", meaning thousand, is small k, Watts is a capital W, and time in hours is lower case h) I think you were confusing notation with maybe Gh/s or similar. Check out https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kilowatt_hour

View Profile WWW
May 10, 2015, 04:10:29 PM

would you consider 0.08 Cent per Kw/H cheap nowadays ?

Yes, that is pretty cheap. In Germany for example its around 0.26 €/kWh, though it is considered  quite expensive and some other EU countries have a rate of around 0.12-0.14 €/kWh. Still, 8 cents is a pretty good price. Not only for BTC mining, but in general. You can also find plenty of charts online to compare electricity prices around the world.

On that note, I would like to point out that a unit of energy you are paying for is not Kw/H but kWh  Wink ("kilo", meaning thousand, is small k, Watts is a capital W, and time in hours is lower case h) I think you were confusing notation with maybe Gh/s or similar. Check out https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kilowatt_hour

hey, thanks Smiley

haha yeah most be it Smiley!

Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
May 10, 2015, 05:19:06 PM

everything under 0.1 is cheap enough nowadays, but a very good cost would be under 0.05 like those china farm, there was a guy that said he was paying only 0.02, almost free electricity
Bananana

Activity: 481
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
May 11, 2015, 10:20:07 AM

0.08 cent is really cheap compare to the average, but not cheap enough to compete with the giant mining company. Need to be lower then 0.05 cent per kWh.

notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456

View Profile
May 11, 2015, 10:34:58 AM

0.08 cent is really cheap compare to the average, but not cheap enough to compete with the giant mining company. Need to be lower then 0.05 cent per kWh.

We should put it in context.  There is electricity that is so high it should not be included when comparing mining electricity rate.  Lots of Europe, high population US cities, etc.  The crazy 20 cent's and up.   Some are crazy expensive.  But comparing to miners 99.9 percent of miners don't mine in that.

I consider around 13 cents top if you are are a smart miner and do it all right, and sell machines at profit.   At .10 I consider this able to mine there is a little margin (summer is harder then winter).

And there are the mega miners, the big companies.  They chase the world for cheap electricity I'm guessing a lot are around .05-.06 area.  Some even better some worse.

But as far as OP yes .08 is good.
GreatNorthData

Activity: 105

View Profile WWW
May 11, 2015, 12:47:22 PM
Last edit: May 15, 2015, 09:34:15 PM by GreatNorthData

I'm surprised that there is still as much mining in high cost jurisdictions. I was even more surprised to see Bitcoin Shop was building a 10MW facility in North Carolina, where the lowest industrial rates are north of 6 cents/kwh, without taking into account set up, cooling and service. I think the next halving will take care of the last "high cost" mines. Anywhere the temperature is above 30 degrees more than 10 days a year is not optimal for mining.

Don't keep mining at higher rates, send your miners to northern Canada for the lowest cost hosting available!

Lowest-Cost Miner Hosting:  greatnorthdata.com
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
May 11, 2015, 08:49:57 PM

I'm surprised that there is still as much mining in high cost jurisdictions. I was even more surprised to see Bitcoin Shop was building a 10MW facility in North Carolina, where the lowest industrial rates are north of 6 cents/kwh, without taking into account set up, cooling and service. I think the next halving will take care of the last "high cost" mines. Anywhere the temperature is above 30 degrees more than 10 days a year is not optimal for mining.

For comparison, our rates start at roughly 0.085 cents/kwh including all taxes and fees, and go lower with larger orders. Don't keep mining at higher rates, send your miners to northern Canada!

Interesting I have not seen you guys before. Northern Canada seems like you would have some savings for cooling down miners.  Do you have Vat or anything on getting miners to canada?

I think a lot of the newer constructed data centers have been in china.  There is one or two that are very very impressive.   As far as US I think Washington state is where we all wish we were on pricing.
MCHouston

Activity: 882

Where am I?

View Profile
May 12, 2015, 05:50:46 PM

Nope,  I can get half that price in several locations.

BTC 13WWomzkAoUsXtxANN9f1zRzKusgFWpngJ
LTC LKXYdqRzRC8WciNDtiRwCeb8tZtioZA2Ks
DOGE DMsTJidwkkv2nL7KwwkBbVPfjt3MhS4TZ9
chmod755
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1020

View Profile WWW
May 12, 2015, 05:58:24 PM

Are you sure you can get 0.04 Cent not 0.04 USD? OP is living in a paradise if 0.08 Cent per kWh is the actual price.

crazyivan
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1007

DMD Diamond Making Money 4+ years! Join us!

View Profile
May 12, 2015, 07:52:43 PM

Most of big farms in China and Iceland pay about 4 cents per Kwh so it s not so cheap price if we talk about large scale mining. I personally have 7 cents per kwh.

For security, your account has been locked. Email acctcomp15@theymos.e4ward.com
GreatNorthData

Activity: 105

View Profile WWW
May 12, 2015, 08:17:00 PM

Interesting I have not seen you guys before. Northern Canada seems like you would have some savings for cooling down miners.  Do you have Vat or anything on getting miners to Canada?

I think a lot of the newer constructed data centers have been in china.  There is one or two that are very very impressive.   As far as US I think Washington state is where we all wish we were on pricing.

Customs to Canada is typically two or three percent above 5%, being the federal VAT, plus brokerage fee, of the declared value, but it does not appear to be constant. We're not quite sure how they calculate it. The VAT is higher (15% here in Labrador) but they don't typically charge the full provincial side on imports, no idea why.

Cooling here is far easier since we're in the sub-arctic. I should add to my above comment that our minimum contract is for 30kW of hosting.

Lowest-Cost Miner Hosting:  greatnorthdata.com
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
May 12, 2015, 08:46:33 PM

Interesting I have not seen you guys before. Northern Canada seems like you would have some savings for cooling down miners.  Do you have Vat or anything on getting miners to Canada?

Customs to Canada is typically two or three percent above 5%, being the federal VAT, plus brokerage fee, of the declared value, but it does not appear to be constant. We're not quite sure how they calculate it. The VAT is higher (15% here in Labrador) but they don't typically charge the full provincial side on imports, no idea why.

Cooling here is far easier since we're in the sub-arctic. I should add to my above comment that our minimum contract is for 30kW of hosting.

15 percent vat seems to kill the deal to me.  That is just quite a tax for shipping it to be hosted.   

I would want more savings yet personally to justify that vat price.
Medow

Activity: 357

View Profile
May 12, 2015, 08:52:43 PM

Are you sure you can get 0.04 Cent not 0.04 USD? OP is living in a paradise if 0.08 Cent per kWh is the actual price.

As a matter of fact we have a lower power rate here in Sudan, We pay 2 cents per kw .

To be exact , it is 1.81 cent per kw.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: