Bitcoin Forum
May 23, 2024, 12:55:25 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: SFARDS: Results of “Speaking IMHO”- The Best Miner is…Contest [Update 26/5/2015]  (Read 9644 times)
BTCBLOGGER

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 14, 2015, 03:10:40 PM

Miner should have a Air conditioner in itself so it will keep the room cool while mining haha  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

LTC : LURGiAmTR2j8ryZHNWMxe85AVf9oDdoxeh

BTC : 1J5G46AUtNEXUvFVf7ZVxbWEAwGVH3Tfaz

DOGE : DDtG59d6UATGvwwWTiLAZ2hGsSjuV3yXdR
sambiohazard

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 14, 2015, 03:57:41 PM
Last edit: May 15, 2015, 09:59:01 AM by sambiohazard

Add a faucet rotator into the miner, so that you can gain dust from faucets while mining.  If anything it will improve ROI figures.

For a faucet rotator u would require monitor, keyboard and time to do captcha's. Far best would be running a node, because u don't need an harware and you can get economic incentives from bitnodes

LTC: LaHCcnn5N5Qs7xcnD1ZH3CdCjAm1bZvxNJ

Nice idea or we can go other way by setting to donate to fullnode.co to get few nodes up. Especially if you are mining just as a hobby.

My LTC addy: LT2N1oqmrGy1Cd5bDSDZxFHizLzamjtueN
diodio1

Activity: 285
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2015, 09:39:14 AM

miner with chip that requires only 0.111 watts / GigaHash
multi connection - wifi, ethernet/LAN, USB and standalone.
additional features or mod-able
slim design to make it nice looks

just it and then will be the most efficient miner ever.

LTC : Lhxdh1iYZXBkog8NhiU6jQ4cS6DaXmW7MP
BTC : 1NaK4S31qp9owd5mFpDLKBqusDVLJhRWSW
DOGE : DGaGzyNyQep2Mewu9vhAkPiK6xSWZT7aPS

BurHan Alassad
Norther front commander for web security in Syrian Electronic ARMY.
diodio1

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2015, 09:54:16 AM

Another most “controversial” design entry 

Solar mining... from space!   We have a satellite orbiting the sun for electricity.   It mines from space!   Sending it's hashing through freaking lasers.  Space and lasers!

+

= Outer Space Asic Laser Miner

Doge: DCX2BrWdLEAkbG39hnNy7QPDMdp3g9XvAm
LTC: LhjeiSU5cgXJGPUGa3nTjjqLoa2E4HFRDx

this is big idea with big cost amount i think haha
its very possible to do what you said ,
the consequence is that you have to convince NASA to lend their satellites,
also you have to spend a lot of money,
and maybe with solar power through satellite from space could produce big hashrate,
big hashrate possibly mining all existing bitcoin .
it means bitcoin mined and catched by one person.
it means game over  Cheesy

BurHan Alassad
J4bberwock

Activity: 840

View Profile
May 15, 2015, 11:31:01 AM

Fish tank heater?  Would need wifi, but would be a cool little device nonetheless.

Bitcoin: 168WXhArv7Fasqvi2xm5MQMfLhG18jifMe
Litecoin: LgPFkqhJoMSYZtwuQhnYaL7woQHSBBuYBW
Doge: D9jQYUxaShK3UAqAHLjEq49yqddpZZMWL7

I would love this idea.  I have a small tank.  If my fish would swim around a miner that would be amazing.  Instead of star trek characters i would have to start naming them after bitcoin items Smiley

Don't overclock too much or you cook the fish  Grin

Custom Server PSU breakout boards, 1200w, 1300w, 2000w, 2880w https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=738527.0
Btc: 1J4bberWs6f6XVQ53gn3BNc8qHAicmm7wu
Ltc: LNDmMBtzD3cduwjfxANm2wDrxt9jXRk5ZP
klondike_bar
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1005

ASIC Wannabe

View Profile
May 15, 2015, 11:50:49 AM

my ideal miner would have 90 ROI, great efficiency and great reliability. at current BTC prices the antminer s5 with power supply is 242 day ROI. thats ridiculous. its just too damn long.

right now, 90day ROI is not likely. 150days is a more realistic target. anything >200days is risky.

24" PCI-E cables with 16AWG wires and stripped ends - great for server PSU mods, best prices https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=563461
No longer a wannabe - now an ASIC owner!
DebitMe
Legendary

Activity: 2786
Merit: 1011

Get Paid Crypto To Walk or Drive

View Profile
May 15, 2015, 01:29:18 PM

Miners are big and ugly and hard to color coordinate into homes and apartments.  They need to be made with adjustable outer plates that come in different colors so that they can be blended to match existing home decor.  Make outer plates that can easily be swapped out with a few screws or magnetic so that I can easily change the look of the miner to match my wallpaper or paint.

One of the biggest problems is the ugliness of the current miners (I mean we know they are beautiful, but wives despise the black box that just sits and takes up room), so make it able to change colors and/or provide other benefits.  Make one that can be an ottoman to put your feet up.  I can change the color to match my living room and no one would even know its a miner.

Get paid crypto to walk or drive. Play CoinHuntWorld! Earn Hundreds Monthly!
https://coinhunt.gsc.im/IZIijYr64Q
buuhh99

Activity: 22
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 15, 2015, 02:29:13 PM

Starting at a Chip Level, I want chips that can run at the highest thermal limit possible. This allows me to run more temperature differential across the surface, increasing heat transfer and increasing the number of chips for a given area.

Because of that, I think the Miners should be modular Liquid cooled 2 Slot PCI-E Cards (similar to BFL Monarch) with the highest power density possible. If desired, a liquid cooled case could be offered with a full size radiator embedded.

This allows the greatest flexibility because a home miner can install the card in an old tower along with GPUS, etc. or they can install a bunch of cards in a purpose built 2/4U rack miner. I am thinking power densities equivalent to spoondoolies in a purpose built case. Power Densities might be able to go higher because of liquid cooling.

Normally I would go with air cooling for simplicity and cost sake. However, I believe that if a liquid solution can be done well, it will be able to increase your available power density and thus decrease commercial cost. Also, by liquid cooling you decrease noise pollution in a home and can funnel the heat where it needs to go. This also then allows you to keep miners outside in a NEMA 3R/4X rack with an external radiator. You can also then use that heat to do other things like cogen, etc. With high DTs in the thermal process, you can recapture part of this value. This heat should not be negligible. You could heat a fish tank if you want Smiley

I believe you will be able to reduce the cost of the miner over the long term because you are using a standard PCI-E format. All Power Supplies, motherboards, CPUs are readily available as is the OS for running the miner (linux, pimp, windows, etc). Users would be able to configure their own interface, and the like as well as all backend monitoring.

This would also expand into third party developers buying cards and packaging in the most efficient design they know how to build. This would allow you, SFARDS, to just focus on chip development and heat exchanger design, which should be your core business. This would allow more rapid deployment because all you would supply is the cards. All other parts of the equipment could be reused. It would give you a platform to grow and expand.
Kevin77
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1057

View Profile
May 15, 2015, 04:06:07 PM

Maybe a good design would be a 2 in 1: a "small" nuclear power generator, like the ones from the submarines, connected to the best miner outta there.
You'll install it in a cold remote place, you'll deliver power thru the power lines, you'll have to have internet thru the power lines too and you'll earn from hashing and from the extra power.
The people around you will not mind you create heat and, if you make a big mining facility, you'll be able to also provide (for another extra income) centralized heating to the town / village you'll locate this.

BTC: 1AGGxwgVT57gRcAcmRdRpmeWocAh1obtgh
LTC: LMwRggxiRarX9t28yyxjE1KWLDcjUr7ih7
DOGE: DF4Rmem5X3Rkd1YUEL3C9L9QBL41zxGw6Y
thevictimofuktyranny
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1004

View Profile
May 15, 2015, 06:29:20 PM

SFARD's is the merger of Gridseed and WiiBox. Gridseed produced the famous orb dual miner from last year (BTC and Scrypt).

As a previous owner of those Gridseed miners, I do have a number of technical observations, which should make the new miner more attractive to home users, who are most likely to accept a long ROI for these units e.g. SFARD's gets higher price per unit up front.

1st) the mining software for (dual mining) needs to be perfectly reliable for at least 7 days continuous dual mining. The Gridseed dualmining software would crash after 10-16 hours of usage. This meant, people abandoned dual mining mode and mined scrypt only. A guarantee on the dual mining software, to run for 7 days without needing to be reset would be a strong selling point.

2nd) producing Windows 7&8 pre-compiled versions of the mining software will be a strong selling point to newbie miners, who are least likely to use Linux and will want the miners to be plug and play on their desktop PC's.

3) Ensuring enough units are supplied to the European resellers like minereu.com and technobit.eu, it was almost impossible to get Gridseed dual miners in Europe. In fact: units were being resold on eBay for twice the price they were selling for in the USA. This was a lost revenue source for Gridseed's dual miners, but should SFARD's get the supply to the European market correct, it will be extra sales for very minimal work.

4) Ensuring the voltage resistors on the PCB are of a bigger size. Most of forums will be awash with resistor modifications, either to increase hash output or decrease electricity consumption. These resistors mods, will reduce SFARD's warranty liabilities for the after sale period.  Making them easier to do through using bigger voltage resistors for modders will be reducing wastage from replacing units under warranty. Modding invalidates warrantees. In fact: on ebay and forums people were selling modded Gridseeds and resistor swapping services.

Dogecoin DLDw4sAbHsU7iYU14yzUeoWMgqGL4xZ9ym
Litecoins Lfu4HT25x5CShVnj2cJgEKYY6Y8qHnNm3A
erre
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1205

View Profile
May 16, 2015, 08:35:18 AM
Last edit: May 16, 2015, 03:24:47 PM by erre

Put an insurance on delivery time.

It could be optional, but when activated it have to cover all the losses due to an eventual delaying, and we all know that that's the biggest risk. I think that such an insurance would skyrockets the sells.

BTC: 1SoGC63df4ueo1Zum21c9DwUuft5mkyyi

Roll a dice FOR FREE every hour, and win up to $200 in btc ---> CLICK HERE

Tip me using the LIGHTING NETWORK! -->https://tippin.me/@Erre96344121
erre
Legendary

View Profile
May 16, 2015, 08:50:11 AM
Last edit: May 16, 2015, 03:24:27 PM by erre

There is no need for impractical controversal toaster, I think re-use of wasted electric energy is the key. Big datacenters will have always cheaper electricity than home miners.

Why not use peltier coolers to generate electricity from heat? They can cool our miners and produce some energy.

Doge: DGsXhaQDQtAC7tbL11SnZdYsaJDXGZR3Sy
LTC: LV64EXaKVgoUyuyo7xxPK1s6WcgfFQCusf

I don't know because everyone nominate peliter coolers, as far as I know they are costly and they have a very little efficiency.

I think that a better choice for recycle the heat energy would be using a stirling motor, after conversion u can use the mechanical energy i.e. to run a big fan

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/02/29/msi_stirling_cooling/

BurgerKill

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 16, 2015, 09:40:30 AM

Speaking IMHO, The best miner is like a good horse. Fast, energy efficient, good looking and stable;) short words SFARDS. BEST means more than good, BEST means that are wiling to hug your warm miner(horse) during cold winter nights with gratefulness for all that free heat and free monies. Best miner is your buddy:)
Dogecoin: DK14CUsgaskmmrkpN8kLUVUena3nNKvM6z
Litecoin: LeMamWf97R7fXX2sR9sguTbK9itT2Cy38U

i think your idea is too general , make it more specific like what should you do to make the energy more efficient.
what should you do to make the miner running fast like a good horse as you said.

ltc : LeyCYiP51FF81HsVMWf19dtcJtxX1jnrds
doge : D9t9nwaeoWfCqiPxqAeU6Nxzp8KpsyiUau
starsoccer9
Legendary

Activity: 1630

View Profile
May 16, 2015, 01:10:09 PM

BTC : 1HcoqQ4kYYrc6J2vNxnwaCLg82ErcTAa7X
LTC : LUr6nLj8Vues2NajTbqF3N1vFvVxwH9RbE
Doge : D5ndyZkgHRC4cypAwfiAJL58kjozrj856E

I would like to see a modular miner where it can start at say 500GH and then you can buy cards and just keep adding cards and increasing the hashrate.
SFMiner

Activity: 170
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 16, 2015, 03:13:56 PM
Last edit: May 16, 2015, 07:57:56 PM by SFMiner

First off, I can't wait to get my hands on whatever design you end up going with.  This isn't incredibly inventive, just a collection of things I wish I could have had in previous miners.  Just FYI I transitioned from HD7950S->Jalapeno->Chili->Jupiter->S1->S2->S3->S5 so I have some experience.  Not as much as some of the veterans around here, but enough to have some recommendations.

I would love to see a sturdy, stackable miner with near-silent fans, and mounting options for wheels on the bottom.  The wheels would allow me to run it most of the time in my office/guest room, but be able to easily move it to the living room if someone is staying the guest room.  The silent fans would allow me to run it in the living room without my GF killing me!  I would love the design to have a compartment for 2 X 750W or 850W PSUs so I can use existing PSUs, to minimize cords, make it simple to move, and maintain a minimalist appearance.  The design would need to be sturdy enough that I could have 2 or 3 of them stacked to reduce clutter.  Ideally, it would end up looking like a compact space heater, in a similar form factor to an S2/S4.  During the winter, I would invest in another one or two to keep in the living room for heat.

I would like to see a miner optimized for a 15A breaker - approx. 1440W in North America if you are running at 80% load.  This would also allow me to use 2 of my existing 750/850W PSUs per miner, and in my office/guest bedroom I have 2 breakers.  Efficiency needs to be at least 0.245W/GH for SHA256 and 2W/MH for Scrypt.  I wouldn't dedicate any more than about 15% of total power to Scrypt mining. Ideally it would mine at approx. 5TH/S SHA256 and  110MH/S Scrypt for a price of $1200 USD each, which should allow ROI in about 90 days assuming a steadily increasing difficulty.

I would also like to be able to under/overclock the miner via software interface.  This would allow me to push it up about 10% while difficulty is lower, and underclock it to achieve better efficiency when difficulty rises.

On a board level, I would love to see 8 boards per miner, so each would consume about 153W, comfortably allowing a single PCIE connector per board.  This would work out to about 5-6 chips/board depending on efficiency. I would prefer air cooling, since it's cheaper and takes up less total space than water cooling.  As others suggested, it would be great to make individual boards replaceable, so they can be upgraded when the time comes.  Wifi is key, to eliminate the need for ethernet cables running to it, and maintain the minimalist space heater design - I know a few people already mentioned that.

Good luck!  If your final numbers end up close to these, I'll definitely be one of your first customers.

BTC: 12AFEc29uTdDQeGdMPF3pQ2sjydHMBMnLE
LTC: LbUGHN8DCAcXRnUZiJBCfMoKs4X4obVgfS
DOGE: DM6DifcgtvKZZF3Fqf6jpDrnVfGqVp5S5N

diodio1

View Profile WWW
May 16, 2015, 05:14:53 PM

anybody get paid for "critics award" per day from comments ??  Smiley

BurHan Alassad
Lucax

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 16, 2015, 11:19:24 PM
Last edit: May 17, 2015, 10:44:49 AM by Lucax

For me, I see three possible markets. The average users, like most of us. Professionals or a farm for cloud mining

For the average user of an ASIC, it should be compact, do not exceed a certain level of db. An all in one would be best. Raspberry Pi integrated with all necessary connectors accessible on the side of the case, the ASIC would be connected to the near Pi with an already configured SD card, just enough to put a power outlet on the housing and connected to the start miner. Wireless Doggle on Pi would not have to use RJ45 cable. In terms of cooling I think to the fans would be nice but do not go too high in the db, left the choice to the user with an alternative watercooling can prove to be a good idea. This ASIC is designed for apartments or persons not having a special room to put his equipment for example.
Another example I have in mind for a while would be to copy the computer industry and allow up his miner in the manner of a PC, proposed while mounted cases with an opportunity to upgrade. And detached parts: the boxes, the mother of a map while RaspberryPi kind in larger, with CPU, RAM, PCI or PCI Express slots, USB ports, a Hdmi port, the internal memory with a special OS mining. The cooling would with fans in the case. So we would insert PCI or PCI Express cards on which are 28 nm chips. So you could put multiple cards per box, possibility to add risers over USB, or buy evening access to the radiator type PCI card, radiator or in the case of water cooling equipment to cool the system. This system would allow for an ASIC that can be easily updated, if a problem arises with a card ASIC is therefore not entirely dead durability over time. Personalization gives more and can afford to undermine the melt into the background, with designs cases.

After we could sell accessories that may have utility other than the principal activity of the ASIC or enabling to save energy, for example heat storage in a box and release it in a terrarium. My example is not very useful ... I grant you Imagined a small solar panel module or mini wind that could connect to undermine it would save energy and we could even store energy too. Let the community developed the kind of media center software installable on the OS of the ASIC to find a second use. From there one can find a lot of ideas but I think I do not have in enormously Cheesy

For professionals all in one system to be put into pre server rack level connectivity to Ethernet, power and USB port. added LEDs to see if the ASIC is running if he has a problem and an LED networks. In the machine, a card with integrated memory which is the OS, processors, RAM etc. mini-cards with the chips. Simple and effective for professionals with always a way to upgrade its equipment and to the duration in time with a sale of used spare parts.

Open a farm might be a good idea too, would require a well-ventilated area where the sun but can not directly enter the rooms where are exposed ASIC for not directly heat the room. Power level could see a solar panel system (you start with 5 panels for example. For the beginning a little solar energy the rest taken to the Central and then adds some panels), and one can even imagine wind turbines in a datacenter or in the mountains where the wind blows in continuous. and fresh mountain air will not be bad for cooling. Having ASIC boxes that stack to save space can not be a bad idea as the idea of making ASIC that upgrad perhaps profitable again, indeed farms often have equipment failures then would limit breakage.

& For all ASIC, various setting modes are available on the case (see below photo). or to the operating system must be easy to use software. Pre-installed and ready for use when plugged. A web interface seems to me the simplest with ssh access for the more experienced. Some ideas for the OS, idea of an API it gives the value of the currency undermined with graph. Simple pool setting with some easily configurable options: Distribution of hashrate several pools. Possible use of 10% or 50% of the miner. Changing the supply mode for ASIC: power saving, low, normal, boost and max power. A smart OS that understands what it mine and switch on the most cost pool added in the options. A diagnostic system of complete ASIC: heat level, state of PCI cards or chips, level of energy consumption ...

h t t p : / / heberger-image.fr/images/21661_exemple.png.html

BTC : 15YZV5dy9HHtxgK4EqjxefF49EsrTWCPr3
LTC : LWuMWB2Gefomwr5a6k4KFsTxrsJiZrSSd7
DOGE : DDSr8qyGCudqXZx6mRGDUZYFEQKrLtNAd2
erre
Legendary

View Profile
May 17, 2015, 05:28:42 PM

...Or you can just make a steampunk-looking wood and brass miner  Wink

OgNasty
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 4746
Merit: 4284

Leading Crypto Sports Betting & Casino Platform

View Profile WWW
May 17, 2015, 07:18:02 PM

What about a stick miner that is pre-configurable and self running?  Meaning, a stickminer that you can just plug into a PC and it will mine using built in software to an address that you already programmed into it.  All it needs is a computer with an internet connection.  Perfect for people who want to hide them in their work computers, or perhaps behind a library computer without having to install any software.

..Stake.com..   ▄████████████████████████████████████▄
   ██ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄            ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██  ▄████▄
   ██ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ██████████ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ██  ██████
   ██ ██████████ ██      ██ ██████████ ██   ▀██▀
   ██ ██      ██ ██████  ██ ██      ██ ██    ██
   ██ ██████  ██ █████  ███ ██████  ██ ████▄ ██
   ██ █████  ███ ████  ████ █████  ███ ████████
   ██ ████  ████ ██████████ ████  ████ ████▀
   ██ ██████████ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██████████ ██
   ██            ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀            ██ 
   ▀█████████▀ ▄████████████▄ ▀█████████▀
  ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███  ██  ██  ███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
 ██████████████████████████████████████████
▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
█  ▄▀▄             █▀▀█▀▄▄
█  █▀█             █  ▐  ▐▌
█       ▄██▄       █  ▌  █
█     ▄██████▄     █  ▌ ▐▌
█    ██████████    █ ▐  █
█   ▐██████████▌   █ ▐ ▐▌
█    ▀▀██████▀▀    █ ▌ █
█     ▄▄▄██▄▄▄     █ ▌▐▌
█                  █▐ █
█                  █▐▐▌
█                  █▐█
▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀█
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄██▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀▀██▄
▄█▀       ▐█▌       ▀█▄
██         ▐█▌         ██
████▄     ▄█████▄     ▄████
████████▄███████████▄████████
███▀    █████████████    ▀███
██       ███████████       ██
▀█▄       █████████       ▄█▀
▀█▄    ▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄  ▄▄▄█▀
▀███████         ███████▀
▀█████▄       ▄█████▀
▀▀▀███▄▄▄███▀▀▀
..PLAY NOW..
erre
Legendary

View Profile
May 17, 2015, 08:34:39 PM

Fish tank heater?  Would need wifi, but would be a cool little device nonetheless.

I would love this idea.  I have a small tank.  If my fish would swim around a miner that would be amazing.  Instead of star trek characters i would have to start naming them after bitcoin items Smiley

Don't overclock too much or you cook the fish  Grin

Yes that would kill any fish in a tank. But it could be a good idea if you need hot water, also if you put it in a river you can have a very cheap and extremely effective cooling system  Smiley

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: