Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 04:11:55 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Using the Bitcoin Color Coin Protocol to issue Gift Cards for a Business  (Read 617 times)
box0214 (OP)

Activity: 350
Merit: 251

View Profile
May 11, 2015, 11:52:27 PM

I was wondering if this was ever discussed.

I run a small repair shop and wanted to issue color coins as a way to manage store credit or technically gift cards. What are some pros/cons of using blockchain technology to do this? From my research the only viable options right now seem to be : coinprism / counterparty / nxt

coinprism - Sits on top of BTC blockchain. Has android wallet and site is mobile friendly for ios users. No built in exchange.

counterparty - Sits on top of BTC blockchain. no mobile app and only accessible via website. Has built in exchange.

nxt - Doesnt sit on top of BTC blockchain. Mobile app friendly for android and ios. Has built in exchange.

One issue i noticed with any of the 3 options above is: Even if you sent the colored coins to the users wallet, they have no way of sending it back or to someone else unless their wallet contains the native currency.

Thoughts?
doof

Activity: 765
Merit: 503

View Profile WWW
May 12, 2015, 05:50:25 AM

I run a small repair shop and wanted to issue color coins as a way to manage store credit or technically gift cards. What are some pros/cons of using blockchain technology to do this? From my research the only viable options right now seem to be : coinprism / counterparty / nxt

coinprism - Sits on top of BTC blockchain. Has android wallet and site is mobile friendly for ios users. No built in exchange.

counterparty - Sits on top of BTC blockchain. no mobile app and only accessible via website. Has built in exchange.

nxt - Doesnt sit on top of BTC blockchain. Mobile app friendly for android and ios. Has built in exchange.

One issue i noticed with any of the 3 options above is: Even if you sent the colored coins to the users wallet, they have no way of sending it back or to someone else unless their wallet contains the native currency.

Thoughts?

Yes you can use coloured coins.  Yes you are right regarding "sending back".  You need the token of the underlying protocol (BTC) to send.

Good comparison, albeit on the coin prism site http://blog.coinprism.com/comparison-coinprism-counterparty-mastercoin/
box0214 (OP)

Activity: 350
Merit: 251

View Profile
May 12, 2015, 03:17:16 PM

one other solution was to also send a few .0001 btc's to the user so they can send back out when needed. it would be good if there was a service that monitored a btc wallet to make sure there is at least .0001 at all times and if there wasnt it would fill that wallet. im not sure if u can even send btc to a colored coin address.
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
May 12, 2015, 10:16:37 PM

Thoughts?

Gyft is a leader at managing gift cards in the Bitcoin space. You might want to contact them to see if they can help you: https://www.gyft.com/blog/gyft-cloud-the-first-mobile-gift-card-solution-for-small-to-mid-sized-businesses/

If you use their service you will also be helping Ashton Kutcher get even more wealthy. Which is also nice. lol

MicroGuy
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1030

Twitter @realmicroguy

View Profile WWW
May 13, 2015, 02:32:18 AM

Thoughts?

This thread belongs in the Megageek subforum.  Cheesy
louise123

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 13, 2015, 06:22:09 AM

one other solution was to also send a few .0001 btc's to the user so they can send back out when needed. it would be good if there was a service that monitored a btc wallet to make sure there is at least .0001 at all times and if there wasnt it would fill that wallet. im not sure if u can even send btc to a colored coin address.

OK, and who will be replenishing those addresses?
Oh, and I think one should be able to send coins to a colored coin address.

██████
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
                ▄███
             ▄███▌ █
            ▀▀▀██▄  █
          ▄███▄▄ ▀▀▀█
         █ █████▀▀▀▄▄
        ▄██ ███▄    █
       ▐███▀   ▀█   █
       ████     █   █
      ▄██▀▄█▄▄▄█▀   █
      ▀▄▄███▌      █
  ▄▄▄▀▀▀████       █
▄▀    ██ ██       █
▐▌     ██▌▐▌      ▀▄
█      ██ █         ▀▄
█      █▀▄▌          █
█   ▄▀█▄██           █
█ ▄▀      ▀▀▄▄▀▄     █
▀▀             █    █
              █  ▄▀
              ▀▄█
     ▀█████████████▄▄
 ▀ ▀▀▀███████████████▌
  ▀ ▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀▀▀▀██████         ▄███████▄      ▄▄███████▄    ▄███▄    ▄███▄ ▄███▄      ▄███▄
▀ ▀▀▀▀█████▄▄▄▄▄▄█████▌       ▄████▀▀▀████▄   ▐████▀▀█████   ▀████▄ ▄████▀ █████▄    ▄█████
   ▀▀███████████████▀       █████     ████▌          ████▌    ▀████████▀    █████▄  ▄█████▌
  ▀ ▀████████████████▀ ▀    ██████████████▌   ▄▄██████████     ▄██████▄      █████▄▄█████▌
    ██████      ██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ▀ █████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀    █████▀▀▀█████    ▄████████▄      ██████████▌
    ██████▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▄ ▄    ████▄▄   ▄▄█▄   ████▄  ▄█████ ▄█████▀▀█████▄     ████████▌
    █████████████████▀        ▀███████████   ▀████████████  ████▀    ▀████      ██████▌
    ██████████████▀▀             ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀       ▀▀▀▀▀▀ ▀▀▀    ▀▀        ▀▀        █████
                                                                               ▄█████
                                                                           ▄███████▀
                                                                           ▀████▀▀
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
██████
|█████████████████
███████████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
  WHITEPAPER 
 LIGHTPAPER
|Instant Deposit
✓ 24/7 Support
Referral Program
bitpop
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060

View Profile WWW
May 13, 2015, 07:21:19 AM

Have you looked into omniwallet? It might just be counter party, I'm not sure.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: