Bitcoin Forum
June 26, 2024, 06:09:35 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What is Bitcoin Fork?  (Read 1140 times)
MicroGuy
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1030

Twitter @realmicroguy

View Profile WWW
May 12, 2015, 04:28:54 PM

They hate the fact that he has the power to make changes to the code that has affect on them or they hate the fact that they don't matter in the Bitcoin universe or any other universe for that matter.

I think it's not that. It's maybe that they want people to understand that bitcoin is a "centrally controlled currency". And even more so than USD or EUR.

Centrally controlled currencies are not inherently bad. And living in an illusion is a choice.
DarkHyudrA
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1000

English <-> Portuguese translations

View Profile
May 12, 2015, 05:34:33 PM

They hate the fact that he has the power to make changes to the code that has affect on them or they hate the fact that they don't matter in the Bitcoin universe or any other universe for that matter.

I think it's not that. It's maybe that they want people to understand that bitcoin is a "centrally controlled currency". And even more so than USD or EUR.

Centrally controlled currencies are not inherently bad. And living in an illusion is a choice.

Its not centralized.
It's a bit closed to the main contributors of the protocol just to avoid griefing ofc
But its open source, and anyone can make a BIP.

English <-> Brazilian Portuguese translations
spazzdla
Legendary

Activity: 1722

View Profile
May 12, 2015, 06:23:53 PM

The creation of Gavincoin hoping everyone will ditch Bitcoin for gavincoin..

It will be interesting.
Again, why in planet hell are you supporting 1MB over 20MB? Do you literally want Bitcoin to remain a small niche for nerds that will collapse soon as it goes mainstream? whats the catch?

I for see this as the kinfe that kills BTC and allows another coin to rise as champion.  IF we are willing to change BTC then it's "hard" cap does not exist.

As I have said before, BTC should be use as a store of wealth NOT a spending currency.

Something like peercoin should be used for that.  I only forsee bad things hard forking bitcoin.
redsn0w
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1042

#Free market

View Profile
May 12, 2015, 06:27:03 PM

The fork will cause more problem than the current block size limite of 1 MB, what do you think? I a one of the users that is supporting the decentralization, and if this improvement will be make by the core dev I will not update bitcoin core (this is why I love decentralization).
spazzdla
Legendary

Activity: 1722

View Profile
May 12, 2015, 06:30:24 PM

The fork will cause more problem than the current block size limite of 1 MB, what do you think? I a one of the users that is supporting the decentralization, and if this improvement will be make by the core dev I will not update bitcoin core (this is why I love decentralization).
This could be the death of bitcoin.  Half the exchanges adopt it... half don't.. most people in BTC have no clue what's going on and panic sell.. THE BIG ONE.. the gov steps in because peoples coins are rejected on the other network..they claim it as some scheme and start a world regulation program to take over control.. Arrested for mining non approved block chains.. oh the future is not bright.
redsn0w
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1042

#Free market

View Profile
May 12, 2015, 06:35:13 PM

This could be the death of bitcoin.  Half the exchanges adopt it... half don't.. most people in BTC have no clue what's going on and panic sell.. THE BIG ONE.. the gov steps in because peoples coins are rejected on the other network..they claim it as some scheme and start a world regulation program to take over control.. Arrested for mining non approved block chains.. oh the future is not bright.

Hmm , yes but this is the game of 'decentralization'. The unique rule is choose which way follow Wink. If you do not agree with the new code (if it will be released) simple don't update your bitcoin core version and you will be fine. You should only hope that the majority will choose the 'right' thing, but there is not a thing right or wrong in bitcoin (not at all).
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4354
Merit: 3274

View Profile
May 12, 2015, 06:55:16 PM

This could be the death of bitcoin.  Half the exchanges adopt it... half don't.. most people in BTC have no clue what's going on...

The maximum block size has nothing to do with exchanges. It makes no difference if an exchange accepts it or not, except that it will be out of business if miners switch to the bigger size and it doesn't.

On the broader topic:

Nobody is required to use Core in order to use Bitcoin. It is sad that so many people in the Bitcoin world who profess to be free-thinkers are ready and eager to submit to authority. It is even worse when these sheep insist that everyone must submit.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
DarkHyudrA
Legendary

Activity: 1386

English <-> Portuguese translations

View Profile
May 12, 2015, 08:20:28 PM

This could be the death of bitcoin.  Half the exchanges adopt it... half don't.. most people in BTC have no clue what's going on...
-snip-
It is even worse when these sheep insist that everyone must submit.

Unless 100% of the miners goes to the version you aren't using.
Then, depending of the change made, using an old version would be useless.
In this case, the size of the block, it's affected by only full nodes and miners right?

English <-> Brazilian Portuguese translations
StevenS

Activity: 206
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 12, 2015, 09:40:27 PM

IIUC, if this 20MB change is adopted by most miners, then the actual fork won't happen until one of these miners happens to mine a block that is more than 1MB. At that point the "new" miners will accept this block, and add to it, and the "old" minors will reject it as invalid and continue to add to the previous block.

If less than 50% of the mining power switch to the "new" (20MB) code, then the "old" (<1MB) blockchain will remain longer, and even the "new" miners will accept the "old" blockchain as the longest, and thus the "official" blockchain.

As for non-mining nodes (clients), they have nothing to lose by adopting the "new" software, because it will still accept the "old" blockchain.

tl;dr: The fork only happens when 51% of the mining power switches to the "new" (Gavin) code.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: