Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 10:40:56 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: question for designers  (Read 339 times)
pokerowned (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1279
Merit: 1051

View Profile WWW
May 12, 2015, 05:23:23 AM

I just had a quick question for all web page designers. if youre hired for a job you say you can do(creating a new homepage), and all designs are rejected for being poorly designed, should you be paid in full? or even at all?

and another question if you say you can do a job but you need someone to make you a gif isnt that the designers responsibility?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
MaliceRed

Activity: 311
Merit: 250

Graphics Design Guru

View Profile WWW
May 12, 2015, 05:35:05 AM

I just had a quick question for all web page designers. if youre hired for a job you say you can do(creating a new homepage), and all designs are rejected for being poorly designed, should you be paid in full? or even at all?

and another question if you say you can do a job but you need someone to make you a gif isnt that the designers responsibility?
Well, you should always pay the security deposit. Any designer worth their salt will charge you one, rates depend, but it's usually 50%.

Also, a good designer, will always be willing to keep trying. Making changes until something is liked. However, those changes may fall under revision fees.

So when you say poorly designed, do you say that because you know what good design is, or because you simply don't like the way the composition looks like?

But to answer your first question, you should be expecting to pay at least half upfront. If you don't like the designer or his work, you can let him know this and more than likely he will understand.

Malice Red Designs

Logos // Branding // U.Is // Banners
MRKLYE
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1003

Designer - Developer

View Profile WWW
May 12, 2015, 05:39:13 AM

Well, you should always pay the security deposit. Any designer worth their salt will charge you one, rates depend, but it's usually 50%.

Also, a good designer, will always be willing to keep trying. Making changes until something is liked. However, those changes may fall under revision fees.

So when you say poorly designed, do you say that because you know what good design is, or because you simply don't like the way the composition looks like?

But to answer your first question, you should be expecting to pay at least half upfront. If you don't like the designer or his work, you can let him know this and more than likely he will understand.

+1 to this. As a designer I do not want to sink my time and effort into a project only to have no compensation or have my design stolen.
Its unfortunate that people looking for developers don't realize that alot of us do this as a means to feed ourselves.
Asking us to put countless hours of work into a project only to have it rejected with no pay form what so ever is bollocks.

▄▄███████████▄▄
▄████▀▀`````````▀▀████▄
███▀```````````````````▀███
███`````````````````````````███
██```````````██``██````````````██
██````````▄▄▄▄██▄▄██▄▄▄▄`````````██
██`````````▀██████████████▄````````██
██`````````````███`````▀████`````````██
▐█▌`````````````███`````▄███▀`````````▐█▌
▐█▌`````````````███████████▄``````````▐█▌
▐█▌`````````````███▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄````````▐█▌
▐█▌`````````````███```````████````````▐█▌
██`````````````███`````▄▄████````````██
██`````````▄██████████████▀````````██
██````````▀▀▀▀██▀▀██▀▀▀▀`````````██
██```````````██``██````````````██
███`````````````````````````███
███▄```````````````````▄███
▀████▄▄`````````▄▄████▀
▀▀███████████▀▀
FREE
BITCOINS.com

`````````▄
````````▄█▄
``````▄█████▄
`````█████████
```▄███████████▄
``███████████████
`█████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████████
██▌▀███████████████
`██``▀████████████
``██▄```▀████████
```▀███▄▄`█████▀
``````▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

FAUCET
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

``````````````````▄▄▄▄▄▄
``````````````````██████
``````````````````██████
``````````````````██████
``````````██████``██████
``````````██████``██████
``██████``██████``██████
``██████``██████``██████
``██████``██████``██████
``██████``██████``██████
``██████``██████``██████

██████████████████████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

XCHANGE
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

```````````▄
`````````▄██
```````▄████
`````▄██████████▄
`````▀███████████▄
```````▀████``▀████
█``````▄`▀██````▀██
██▄````██▄`▀``````█
████▄``████▄
`▀███████████▄
``▀██████████▀
```````████▀
```````██▀
```````▀

SWAP
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
pokerowned (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 12, 2015, 05:41:47 AM

i can agree and the guy was compensated partially for his work. wasnt 50% but it was close to 25-30%. but if hes asking to find find someone to make him a gif n he can redesign i dont think hes worth his salt. seems to me all that is his job, not mine to shell out more dough correct?
ashour

Activity: 490

View Profile
May 12, 2015, 05:46:02 AM

i can agree and the guy was compensated partially for his work. wasnt 50% but it was close to 25-30%. but if hes asking to find find someone to make him a gif n he can redesign i dont think hes worth his salt. seems to me all that is his job, not mine to shell out more dough correct?
So you think that making a gif is the designers task ? Do you even know what a gif is and how it is made ? Gifs are made from videos and not designed. So next time you tell a designer to make you gif learn that there is a difference between designer and animator.
MaliceRed

Activity: 311

Graphics Design Guru

View Profile WWW
May 12, 2015, 05:56:29 AM

Well, seems to me that there is a bit of a communication error. This is what causes designer/client troubles at least 75% of the time.

Did you communicate to him that you would be requiring a .gif (I'm guessing this would be an animated gif)?

If he did know you would be requiring this, as in, you specifically told him you'd need it, then it's totally understandable to be upset and want to terminate his services.

However, if this is something you did not bring up or discuss, then the table is flipped. As a client, it's your job to have listed all possible graphics you would require.

On his side however, he should have asked all questions needed to determine what the webpage required. Know what I mean?

Additionally, depending on what you want, an animated gif, may not even be in the domain of graphics design. That's more Animation. And that's expensive. Exactly what did you want animated?

Quote from: MRKYLE
+1 to this. As a designer I do not want to sink my time and effort into a project only to have no compensation or have my design stolen.
Its unfortunate that people looking for developers don't realize that alot of us do this as a means to feed ourselves.
Asking us to put countless hours of work into a project only to have it rejected with no pay form what so ever is bollocks.

I'd have to whole heatedly agree with this statement. Alot of people think, because it's digital, it doesn't cost as much as something physical. That it shouldn't take a while, so why should it cost so much? Well, it's very simple. Digital art should not be considered digital art, it's a investment to your brand or business. Much like a suit. You want potential customers, employers to have a good impression, well, you need to look presentable. And that's what graphics design on the business level really is. An investment of a suit, and suits are not cheap.

Additionally, the amount of knowledge, experience, education and talent needs to be accounted for, as well as Electricity, Cable and internet, Minimum wage, and software costs. Like MRKYLE said, some of us need to eat. And we don't eat selling 5$ logos. Know what I mean?

Malice Red Designs

Logos // Branding // U.Is // Banners
ajareselde
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1000

Satoshi is rolling in his grave. #bitcoin

View Profile
May 12, 2015, 06:21:21 AM

You need to state all conditions/terms for which you are paying clearly before you go ahead and hire someone.
If you are referring to that design from girbtc comment section here :  http://girlbtc.com/comment/ i wouldnt pay 1 $ for that, its terrible, but like i said, if you didnt previously define pay schredule in terms, its a gray area, and the best option is to find portion of reward that would work for both you and the designer.

cheers
pokerowned (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 12, 2015, 06:37:50 AM

iappreciate the opinions and ill close this now. just wanted to see if i was correct or the designer was correct on some issues. ill lock this now
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: