Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 10:08:00 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: is bitcoin getting rebranded as the blockchain?  (Read 3012 times)
Adrian-x
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 14, 2015, 06:29:05 PM

Whenever you hear the corporate media talking about the "blockchain," that is not about re-branding bitcoin. Quite the contrary it's about displacing bitcoin and indroducing their own corporate blockchains. The banks and corporations are all investing in "blockchain research," it's about co-opting blockchain technology for their own centralized purposes. Once they've set up their own blockchains that's when they'll order their lackey governments to start moving against bitcoins and criminalizing it just like they did with drugs. Then shit will get real  Grin

The blockchain is expensive.  It is expensive to store, expensive to process, and expensive to secure.   That cost is the cost of decentralization.   It is the cost of a payment system with no trusted authority.  The 100x the annual bitcoin transaction volume could be processed by a single server with central authority.  There is absolutely no point to a centralized, decentralized currency.   You take all of the cost of decentralization and pile it on top of all the problems of a centralized currency.  

in reflection of the idea above, lets say transaction fees where set to 0.1%, then the cost to secure Bitcoin as Block rewards diminished and the network grew, would equalize at about 0.1% of GDP to maintain the decentralized system. at the moment as a % of GDP the cost of managing money is greater than the the cost of global manufacturing, who knows what the correct ratio is, but i sure know that the guy that makes stuff is more valuable than the middle man i use to pay him, and i can see how Bitcoin can can reduce the cost of the middleman to the minimum needed to transact in a global way.

but a better solution is to offset all incentives so that everyone is incentivized to be as efficient as necessary and to operate in a competitive environment, this is the Bitcoin we have today, all costs will evolve to the marginal profit on the basic cost of utility, provided we are able to scale with out eroding the current incentive sachems reflected in the Bitcoin protocol.

Thank me in Bits 12MwnzxtprG2mHm3rKdgi7NmJKCypsMMQw
WhatTheGox
Legendary

Activity: 812

View Profile
May 14, 2015, 06:32:34 PM

Lately I've been noticing that people love the blockchain but not bitcoin. Nasdaq wants to use the bitcoin blockchain but not bitcoin... will the term bitcoin get left behind? Will the new term for unspent outputs on the blockchain be renamed to bllockchain shares or blockchain packets? If so domain speculators should get. Buyblockchains.com or similar

Hey, let them called it what they like, blockchain technology does sound kinda cool and doesnt have the "oh no everyone is going to lose their money @ mtgox" attachment.  You could rename bitcoin the currency and nothing changes... circle not mentioning bitcoin in a transfer etc.
Q7

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2015, 01:18:55 PM

I was hoping it would be synonymous when you say blockchain and people would automatically relate it to bitcoin but looks like the trend is decoupling. People seems to be more interested to develop something new based on the blockchain and right now people have been putting forward new ideas on what they can do with it. Blockchain is the technology but bitcoin is just branding and what we can do is to continue promoting bitcoin and hoping they continue to link it together

Mikestang
Legendary

Activity: 1274

View Profile
May 15, 2015, 03:55:13 PM

Bitcoin is the Blockchain,

My exact thought when I read the OP, but you summed it up way better than I could have.
Fabrizio89

Activity: 924

View Profile
May 15, 2015, 06:13:46 PM

Yes that seems the trend, maybe it's just a way to ease the way to more investments without looking at this bubble complete burst and maybe focussing on the market after that when a recovery and a rise will be evident.
not altcoin hitler

Activity: 212
Merit: 22

Amazix

View Profile
May 15, 2015, 10:16:15 PM

Lately I've been noticing that people love the blockchain but not bitcoin. Nasdaq wants to use the bitcoin blockchain but not bitcoin... will the term bitcoin get left behind? Will the new term for unspent outputs on the blockchain be renamed to bllockchain shares or blockchain packets? If so domain speculators should get. Buyblockchains.com or similar

This only tells you ONE thing: They are all AMBIVALENT towards crypto

Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
May 16, 2015, 07:11:39 AM

Bitcoin is the Blockchain,

My exact thought when I read the OP, but you summed it up way better than I could have.

i would say better, by saying that bitcoin is the instrument of the blockchain, and they don't like that instrument, they are rebranding it in something that suits more their needs

for they i mean those who are against bitcoin
coinableS (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1180

View Profile WWW
May 16, 2015, 03:12:32 PM

It tells me that they actually like bitcoin, but when they want to tell the public they are using it they would rather say blockchain technology.

Bagatell

Activity: 722
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 16, 2015, 03:59:18 PM

It tells me that they actually like bitcoin, but when they want to tell the public they are using it they would rather say blockchain technology.

This. Some doubled goxxed scam or this shiny new blockchain?
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: