Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 02:00:28 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Three Pools Have Near-total Control Over the Bitcoin Network  (Read 3347 times)
BC Systems (OP)

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 05, 2012, 03:44:01 AM

http://blockchain.info/pools

All it would take is the collaboration of these Big 3 to turn the network to their will, whether it be in secret or otherwise. How do we turn them into tiny networks like on the other side of the graph?
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Etlase2

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 05, 2012, 03:47:30 AM

inform and promote p2pool

Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
September 05, 2012, 03:56:03 AM

All it would take is the collaboration of these Big 3 to turn the network to their will, whether it be in secret or otherwise. How do we turn them into tiny networks like on the other side of the graph?
This is about as diversified as I have seen the pool chart.   A year ago deepbit had half, now it takes 3 pools to get there.   

BC Systems (OP)

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 05, 2012, 03:59:41 AM

This is about as diversified as I have seen the pool chart.   A year ago deepbit had half, now it takes 3 pools to get there.  
We went from a benevolent dictatorship to a benevolent oligarchy.

Let's make it a decentralized confederation.
LightRider
Legendary

Activity: 1500
Merit: 1021

I advocate the Zeitgeist Movement & Venus Project.

View Profile WWW
September 05, 2012, 04:06:35 AM

All monetary systems tend towards corruption.

Bitcoin combines money, the wrongest thing in the world, with software, the easiest thing in the world to get wrong.
Visit www.thevenusproject.com and www.theZeitgeistMovement.com.
ralree

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

Manateeeeeeees

View Profile
September 05, 2012, 05:23:04 AM

inform and promote p2pool

Tried it - rejects like crazy, much lower revenue in my 1-day trial.

1MANaTeEZoH4YkgMYz61E5y4s9BYhAuUjG
kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1025

View Profile
September 05, 2012, 05:27:46 AM

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
jwzguy

Activity: 868
Merit: 1002

View Profile
September 05, 2012, 05:38:40 AM

Anyone remember the good ole days when it was Deepbit with 49% and people were absolutely losing their shit?
Shadow383

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 05, 2012, 05:40:27 AM

Bear in mind that deepbit also makes up a big chunk of "unknown". Their API shows 3858Ghash/s currently.
Boussac
Legendary

Activity: 1220
Merit: 1015

e-ducat.fr

View Profile WWW
September 05, 2012, 06:27:06 AM

All
centralized
monetary systems tend towards corruption.

LightRider
Legendary

Activity: 1500

I advocate the Zeitgeist Movement & Venus Project.

View Profile WWW
September 05, 2012, 06:32:41 AM

All
centralized

Bitcoin is the central protocol.

Bitcoin combines money, the wrongest thing in the world, with software, the easiest thing in the world to get wrong.
Visit www.thevenusproject.com and www.theZeitgeistMovement.com.
FuzzyBear
Legendary

Activity: 1420
Merit: 1010

View Profile WWW
September 05, 2012, 08:15:21 AM

Come join me on my pool then??? .... we most certainly don't have even 10% of the total Hashrate Tongue but we still going strong!!

http://fuzzy.triplemining.com

All donations greatly appreciated:

BTC: 18R5YiVKqtEsru8y4wCANQPJ81AJCk5Esi
LTC: LbMPUzwPRkWa5hCJGrEiRCeoYExY6Ujt1D
LQC: vbJVpeF82Ezd3Dx8ubWeiFeEguFwPctzJL
I0C: jU8MuSJcw7XmauyddGFSoo5HzEAPgjxfsz
IXC: xhUfkeNiVGaWFkEcuv8tTUGHX6PLt9dZ94
PPC: PDtcFPhMa9Hc9zTfoRG7zcURCRpcpRdMym

***** Earn DEV at http://devtome.com *****
JMAHH

Activity: 280

View Profile
September 05, 2012, 10:19:01 AM

You sound like one of these regulation-loving bureaucrats who have no clue about economics and break up corporations because they supposedly 'hurt' competition.
JMAHH

View Profile
September 05, 2012, 12:02:33 PM

You sound like one of these regulation-loving bureaucrats who have no clue about economics and break up corporations because they supposedly 'hurt' competition.

Corporations themselves are a construct of the regulation-loving bureaucrats. Corporations lobby for regulations which their small business competitors can't afford. Corporations are limited liability so when they screw up, the owners won't be held accountable.

If you aren't a fan of the state, you shouldn't be a fan of corporations either.

Are you kidding? You don't have your economic/business theory in check.

How can you even try to imply that corporations, which are simply a legal construct and a synonym to "big businesses" are, per definition, entities that lobby the state?
Shouldn't you ask yourself WHY it is that they lobby the state? Because the state allows it... Because politicians like money. If that weren't the case, we wouldn't know lobbyism. But still the corporations are to blame?

And just to clarify the fundamentals: a "big business" was once a small business, too.
JMAHH

View Profile
September 05, 2012, 12:20:15 PM

Corporations themselves are a construct of the regulation-loving bureaucrats. Corporations lobby for regulations which their small business competitors can't afford. Corporations are limited liability so when they screw up, the owners won't be held accountable.

If you aren't a fan of the state, you shouldn't be a fan of corporations either.

Are you kidding? You don't have your economic/business theory in check.

How can you even try to imply that corporations, which are simply a legal construct and a synonym to "big businesses" are, per definition, entities that lobby the state?
Shouldn't you ask yourself WHY it is that they lobby the state? Because the state allows it... Because politicians like money. If that weren't the case, we wouldn't know lobbyism. But still the corporations are to blame?

And just to clarify the fundamentals: a "big business" was once a small business, too.

Well, there is quite clearly a difference between "sole proprietorship" and "corporation".

Are the corporations to blame? No, the public is to blame for allowing it to happen. Just as they are to blame for over reaching bureaucrats.

At this point, the two (corporations and government) are so entwined that the baby and the bath water must be thrown out if we are to expect any kind of change.

Okayed
herzmeister
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
September 05, 2012, 01:45:52 PM

Bitcoin is the central protocol.

As above, so below.

Some things we can't decentralize (for now), like the Internet, the Earth and the Sun.  Cool

https://localbitcoins.com/?ch=80k | BTC: 1LJvmd1iLi199eY7EVKtNQRW3LqZi8ZmmB
rjk

Activity: 448

1ngldh

View Profile
September 05, 2012, 02:33:23 PM

Atlas making Atlas threads again?

meh

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
hazek
Legendary

Activity: 1078

View Profile
September 05, 2012, 04:35:18 PM

This is about as diversified as I have seen the pool chart.   A year ago deepbit had half, now it takes 3 pools to get there.  
We went from a benevolent dictatorship to a benevolent oligarchy.

Let's make it a decentralized confederation.

You do realize that participation in a pool is voluntary and comprised of many many individual miners, right? If it were really an oligarchy their participation wouldn't be voluntary.

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

If however you enjoyed my post: 15j781DjuJeVsZgYbDVt2NZsGrWKRWFHpp
hazek
Legendary

Activity: 1078

View Profile
September 05, 2012, 04:36:28 PM

All
centralized

BitcoinGold is the central protocol.

When are you going to give it a rest?

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

If however you enjoyed my post: 15j781DjuJeVsZgYbDVt2NZsGrWKRWFHpp
evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
September 05, 2012, 06:05:40 PM

This is about as diversified as I have seen the pool chart.   A year ago deepbit had half, now it takes 3 pools to get there.   

+1

Last year, the mining distribution was far more centralized. The problem has been fixing itself over time, and we should expect this, for free markets do not easily permit monopolies to occur (contrary to popular opinion).
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: