Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 01:39:35 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: SSDs lose data if left without power for just 7 days  (Read 609 times)
TheIrishman (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1049
Merit: 1006

View Profile
May 13, 2015, 04:07:59 AM

SSDs lose data if left without power for just 7 days

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/ssds-lose-data-if-left-without-power-for-just-7-days.html

<< The standards body for the microelectronics industry has found that Solid State Drives (SSD) can start to lose their data and become corrupted if they are left without power for as little as a week, according to a recent presentation by Seagate's Alvin Cox, who is also chairman of the Joint Electron Device Engineering Council (JEDEC).

The period of time that data will be retained on an SSD is halved for every 5 degrees Celsius (9 degrees Fahrenheit) rise in temperature in the area where the SSD is stored. Consumer class SSDs can store data for up to two years before the standard drops, but when it comes to SSDs used by enterprises, the drives are only expected to retain data for a period of three months – a fact confirmed by Samsung, Seagate and Intel's own ratings on their products.

Security firm KoreLogic is concerned that far too many people are now using SSDs in both consumer and enterprise applications, which is clearly not a great idea if the data is important and might be needed for a longer period that three months. The firm advises that users make sure to regularly back up their data and create drive images, or they will risk losing their data, which can have disastrous consequences, for example if the data was part of evidence gather by a law firm for a deposition. >>
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Rmcdermott927
Legendary

Activity: 2254
Merit: 1140

View Profile
May 13, 2015, 04:25:39 AM

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/ssds-lose-data-if-left-without-power-for-just-7-days.html

<< The standards body for the microelectronics industry has found that Solid State Drives (SSD) can start to lose their data and become corrupted if they are left without power for as little as a week, according to a recent presentation by Seagate's Alvin Cox, who is also chairman of the Joint Electron Device Engineering Council (JEDEC).

The period of time that data will be retained on an SSD is halved for every 5 degrees Celsius (9 degrees Fahrenheit) rise in temperature in the area where the SSD is stored. Consumer class SSDs can store data for up to two years before the standard drops, but when it comes to SSDs used by enterprises, the drives are only expected to retain data for a period of three months – a fact confirmed by Samsung, Seagate and Intel's own ratings on their products.

Security firm KoreLogic is concerned that far too many people are now using SSDs in both consumer and enterprise applications, which is clearly not a great idea if the data is important and might be needed for a longer period that three months. The firm advises that users make sure to regularly back up their data and create drive images, or they will risk losing their data, which can have disastrous consequences, for example if the data was part of evidence gather by a law firm for a deposition. >>

I guess a solution could be to have a small cmos type battery for these enterprise grade drives.

vm1990
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 13, 2015, 10:00:00 PM

I guess a solution could be to have a small cmos type battery for these enterprise grade drives.

at there prices you think they already would. hell even the Ram disks have cmos batteries now

Buffer Overflow
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1015

View Profile
May 14, 2015, 07:27:46 AM

I still prefer and use the traditional mechanical drives.

photon_coin

Activity: 310
Merit: 256

Photon --- The First Child Of Blake Coin --Merged

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2015, 07:57:15 AM

good info

Assad

Activity: 135
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 14, 2015, 08:42:47 AM

then no SSD for cold storage and backup? nice to know
Lethn
Legendary

Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2015, 08:53:08 AM

As somebody who still uses HDD I'm feeling incredibly smug about this because everybody including on this very forum was trying to convince me that SSD's were worth it, the technology isn't ready guys, not yet, wait until it's cheaper.
planetroving
Legendary

Activity: 2170

View Profile
May 14, 2015, 09:35:37 AM

Phew... when  I was in the planning stages for my PC, I was going to go for a ~1TB SSD. Luckily, I ran over budget, so I resorted to a 2TB SSHD, which is pretty much a Hard Drive, but with a small part of it a Solid State Drive. It's much cheaper than an SSD, and only a tad more than an HDD. I was just going for it for its speed.

I agree with Lethn on the fact that SSD technology is not ready. Although I like to be close to the frontline for new technology, I force myself to only buy the ones that have been on the market for a while and does not have too many cons.
Balthazar
Legendary

Activity: 3108
Merit: 1358

View Profile
May 14, 2015, 10:57:39 AM

Meanwhile... Not using HDDs since 2008 and have no problem with that. Well, I have some 2.5" HDDs used for video archive and other forgotten stuff but these drives are in sleep mode for 99.9% of uptime.

DarkHyudrA
Legendary

Activity: 1386

English <-> Portuguese translations

View Profile
May 14, 2015, 11:24:58 AM

This and other reasons(like small lifetime of rewrites on each block) is why a hybrid drive (SSHD) is the best way to go.

English <-> Brazilian Portuguese translations
Lethn
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2015, 02:03:19 PM

I agree with Lethn on the fact that SSD technology is not ready. Although I like to be close to the frontline for new technology, I force myself to only buy the ones that have been on the market for a while and does not have too many cons.

I'm an early adopter of Bitcoin for fucks sake and I'm going all in, but cryptocurrencies are a whole new technology no one has ever seen before, SSD's are just a small improvement on something that works very well already so I don't consider the price difference to be worth it, it's just simple maths really, It's good to take a look at early technology and support it but if you're using it for something very important ( Like for instance storing work on it ) you damn well better be sure you understand how it works first.
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2015, 03:01:51 PM

Please don't talk if you have no idea what you're talking about. SSDs are ready, they just aren't cheap as HDDs are and they can't be because people are refusing to upgrade.
What the article describes is just a possibility and it happens to the unluckiest people.
https://www.backblaze.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/blog-fail-drives-manufacture.jpg
I have a WD 1TB drive for 5 years now. According to the news it should have failed already, or at least a one of my neighbours HDD should have failed.
None did.

I'm an early adopter of Bitcoin for fucks sake and I'm going all in, but cryptocurrencies are a whole new technology no one has ever seen before, SSD's are just a small improvement on something that works very well already so I don't consider the price difference to be worth it, it's just simple maths really, It's good to take a look at early technology and support it but if you're using it for something very important ( Like for instance storing work on it ) you damn well better be sure you understand how it works first.
Small improvement?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kwCgUzCL4w
That's 2.9 times faster on a mac and it gets even better on windows. Booting on my HDD took around 2:30 (with all programs included). My Samsung 850 Pro boots all the same in 30 seconds. That's 5 times faster. This is not something that you call a "small improvement". HDDs and SSDs don't work well. This is still too slow and unreliable. Hopefully one day PCI-E SSDs will be reliable and fast enough.
Currently the best SSD is Samsung 850 Pro. I don't even want to mention what it does in rapid mode (in some cases). Just take a look:
http://www.extremetech.com/computing/189003-samsung-850-pro-review-3d-nand-and-ram-caching-result-in-the-fastest-most-durable-ssd-money-can-buy/2
This is not a "small improvement".

For comparison look at HDD speeds: http://techreport.com/review/27464/samsung-850-evo-solid-state-drive-reviewed
HDDs only win at price and capacity which are both connected and should count as the same point. The transition from HDDs to SSDs will result in lower prices and the SSDs will show total dominance.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: