Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 11:36:17 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Romney's tax returns - first Bitcoin extortion?  (Read 33913 times)
ZodiacDragon84

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

The king and the pawn go in the same box @ endgame

View Profile
September 06, 2012, 12:10:27 AM

I'm sure they will just keep using them for nuclear weapons simulations and other sciency stuff.

Looking for a quick easy mining solution? Check out
www.bitminter.com

See my trader rep at Bitcoinfeedback.com
!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Fluttershy

Activity: 420

View Profile
September 06, 2012, 12:17:39 AM

This looks like a job for John Goodman and Jeff Bridges.

ZodiacDragon84

Activity: 266

The king and the pawn go in the same box @ endgame

View Profile
September 06, 2012, 12:20:00 AM

This looks like a job for John Goodman and Jeff Bridges.

LMAO. Jeff bridges is the name I give the cops when they stop me on my nightly jog and ask for ID.

Looking for a quick easy mining solution? Check out
www.bitminter.com

See my trader rep at Bitcoinfeedback.com
!
sadpandatech

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 06, 2012, 01:05:37 AM

By the time they setup a mt gox account to buy the bitcoins and went through AML to withdraw them the date would be long past  Cheesy

I wonder if Magical Tux would expedite things if the secret service showed up at his house and demanded 1 million dollars worth of bitcoin  Grin

hehe

I could imagine that if the president needed his people to get $1M to Gox's bank then a phone call from them would likely be enough to avoid the whole AMl process, beyond a fax or 2 between the banks involved.

Like others have said, they could likely buy up $500-750k BTC and have the acquired BTC be worth well over $1M when they were done. =)

If you're not excited by the idea of being an early adopter 'now', then you should come back in three or four years and either tell us "Told you it'd never work!" or join what should, by then, be a much more stable and easier-to-use system.
- GA

It is being worked on by smart people.  -DamienBlack
Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686

Wat

View Profile WWW
September 06, 2012, 01:20:24 AM

By the time they setup a mt gox account to buy the bitcoins and went through AML to withdraw them the date would be long past  Cheesy

I wonder if Magical Tux would expedite things if the secret service showed up at his house and demanded 1 million dollars worth of bitcoin  Grin

hehe

I could imagine that if the president needed his people to get $1M to Gox's bank then a phone call from them would likely be enough to avoid the whole AMl process, beyond a fax or 2 between the banks involved.

Like others have said, they could likely buy up $500-750k BTC and have the acquired BTC be worth well over $1M when they were done. =)

I wonder if they would stick the excess in fort knox on a thumb drive  Cheesy

sadpandatech

View Profile
September 06, 2012, 01:22:41 AM

Hey, atleast then there would be something in there to secure.  du dun da CHING.  Tongue

hmm, maybe he would stash it in the secret compartment in the resolute desk......

If you're not excited by the idea of being an early adopter 'now', then you should come back in three or four years and either tell us "Told you it'd never work!" or join what should, by then, be a much more stable and easier-to-use system.
- GA

paulie_w

Activity: 420

View Profile
September 06, 2012, 01:26:05 AM

i'm paulie_w and i support this message.
Bitcoin Oz

Wat

View Profile WWW
September 06, 2012, 01:26:46 AM

Hey, atleast then there would be something in there to secure.  du dun da CHING.  Tongue

hmm, maybe he would stash it in the secret compartment in the resolute desk......

They just need to paint it gold like the other stuff they have stored there.

Portnoy
Legendary

Activity: 2030
Merit: 1000

My money; Our Bitcoin.

View Profile
September 06, 2012, 01:34:01 AM

I wonder if they would stick the excess in fort knox on a thumb drive  Cheesy

Hey, atleast then there would be something in there to secure.  du dun da CHING.  Tongue

You missed the point. They don't have any other gold stuff there.  

And, sadpandatech, a rim shot sounds like...
Bitcoin Oz

Wat

View Profile WWW
September 06, 2012, 01:37:06 AM

You missed the point. They don't have any other gold stuff there.   

And, sadpandatech a rim shot sounds like...

I was referencing this -
http://www.prospectingjournal.com/fake-gold-detected-the-tungsten-gold-bar032612/

Frankie

Activity: 206
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 06, 2012, 02:03:33 AM

I wouldn't get so overconfident. They control the banking system. If they shut off funds transfers to Mt. Gox, which would be trivially easy to do, your bitcoin holdings will become worthless overnight.

There are exchanges in other parts of the world that would pick up the slack, using alternative means of funding. It would drive up the cost of acquiring and trading btc, which would probably drive up the value.

Governments banning commodities in demand have a history of increasing value.

80% of BTC exchanges are for USD. Source.

Bitcoin is still in its infancy. It would not survive a shutdown of USD-facing exchanges. It's too vulnerable.

How many Americans still play online poker? It can be done using VPNs, a foreign bank account and foreign mailing address, but nobody bothers because of the hassle.

This is right.  Bitcoin doesn't have to be technically destroyed, it just has to lose enough commercial mass to make it uninteresting as a payment system, and if the U.S. government makes it very difficult for money to reach exchanges, that's feasible.
Severian

Activity: 476

View Profile
September 06, 2012, 03:02:00 AM

This is right.  Bitcoin doesn't have to be technically destroyed, it just has to lose enough commercial mass to make it uninteresting as a payment system, and if the U.S. government makes it very difficult for money to reach exchanges, that's feasible.

There are other ways to sell besides exchanges. I suspect that if someone can make a dime off of it, they'll always figure out a way to sell.

Last year's crash should have killed bitcoin. I don't think it's going anywhere for awhile.
BC Systems

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 06, 2012, 03:07:51 AM

http://imgur.com/a/zOJK6#0

Take a look at the building the records were stolen from. This isn't Fort Knox, that is for certain.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
September 06, 2012, 03:42:07 AM

I agree on the hoax aspect.  It doesn't seem like whoever did this really thought through the mechanics of what getting "$1 million USD" of Bitcoins would entail, or more likely, didn't care, because they were never intending on getting it.

I just hope for the pranksters' sake they covered their tracks better than it looks like they did.  Even without the tax returns, demanding money in return for silence is generally going to be considered extortion, and for a change, they've picked on someone politically connected enough to demand the feds "do something."  

I have a feeling that the SS is going to be knocking on some Texan's door, and this time the guy who answers it won't be able to get away with, "My account was compromised, officers. Do I look like I'm in the process of committing suicide?"

SS1: Just the same, we'll be taking all the computers in this home to make sure.
SS2: And what's the deal with that democratic-blue light in the upstairs bedroom?
SS1: Did you just try to bribe us?
SS3: Matt, take a look inside this box marked Woolong Device. Looks to me like this guy was set to do a mass mailing.

~Bruno~
repentance (OP)

Activity: 868

View Profile
September 06, 2012, 04:06:05 AM

http://imgur.com/a/zOJK6#0

Take a look at the building the records were stolen from. This isn't Fort Knox, that is for certain.

I once worked for a financial services company - the physical security was incredible.  Even once you were in the building - which required your fingerprint and a security pass for entry - you had to swipe your pass and enter a security code to open doors (and there were multiple doors between sections) and enter lifts.  Your pass determined which doors you could open and what floors the lift would take you to - the security system pretty much knew where you were to within 10 feet whenever you were in the building and that was before you even got near the computers.  Getting someone's financial records from their accountant's computer system would be child's play by comparison, I would imagine.

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
Bitcoin Oz

Wat

View Profile WWW
September 06, 2012, 04:14:29 AM

There are other ways to sell besides exchanges. I suspect that if someone can make a dime off of it, they'll always figure out a way to sell.

Last year's crash should have killed bitcoin. I don't think it's going anywhere for awhile.

I just browsed silk road and there's  numerous ways to buy bitcoins there.

repentance (OP)

Activity: 868

View Profile
September 06, 2012, 04:16:27 AM

The story has apparently hit the Fox News ticker  Don't know if Bitcoins are mentioned though.

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
sadpandatech

View Profile
September 06, 2012, 04:48:05 AM
Last edit: September 06, 2012, 05:16:48 AM by sadpandatech

The story has apparently hit the Fox News ticker  Don't know if Bitcoins are mentioned though.

You just know that the psycho, Romney lovin' news outlets will be sure to spin it as some undeserved attack against such an upstanding American..

- GA

Bitcoin Oz

Wat

View Profile WWW
September 06, 2012, 04:51:32 AM

I can just see someone reporting their bitcoins stolen and a cop mistakenly arresting them for blackmailing Romney (or terrorism)

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
September 06, 2012, 01:47:00 PM

I can just see someone reporting their bitcoins stolen and a cop mistakenly arresting them for blackmailing Romney (or terrorism)

Interesting! I think the SS should look into every major hack involving Bitcoin to make sure that the hackers are not planning on spending their loot as payola to release said documents. In case the SS reads this board, here's my short list: Tom Williams/MyBitCoin/Bruce Wagner; All those involved with Bitcoinica; The Intersango Crew; The hacker who broke into Bitfloor. And, for good measure, make sure the Woolong Device isn't being used to store said documents.

That should keep the SS busy for awhile, while us Bitcoiners continue developing Bitcoin to disrupt the global financial empire.

~Bruno~ (Newbie Bitcoiner who reclaims barn wood in Sandwich, IL)
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: