Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 03:07:46 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Starbucks HongKong accepting Bitcoin and giving 20% discount  (Read 1587 times)
Denker (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1014

View Profile
May 14, 2015, 09:49:12 AM

In a way, I have a problem with this kind of adoption of Bitcoin by merchants.

They do not want a direct association with Bitcoin, and want to work via 3rd parties to accept it as a payment method.

Is this true adoption, if you have no 1-on-1 transfer of coins? The use of Gift card and vouchers is not true adoption.

These companies are only invested in the currency for the fiat value they can get from the direct conversion from Bitcoin to fiat. {Even though this makes business sense, it's not true adoption}

We should have more true adopters {Bitcoin Only} type businesses, that invest in the "growing" of the currency, not just to gain fiat from it... {Overstock being a leader in that field}

Yeah I know what you mean and you're absolutely right. But I see it as a step by step process moving forward. Companies and merchants are very conservative and doing a lot of trial balloons right now I guess. Many small steps in addition will make the big step to mainstream as the end result.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
byt411

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 14, 2015, 04:42:25 PM

Never drank coffee or visit StarBucks in my life time. If they do accept Bitcoin in my country, I might try them. It is good to see another notable company accepting Bitcoin as payment. They already helped Bitcoin community so much yet they still promote Bitcoin by giving 20 percent discount. What a good company.

Again, for clarification, Starbucks is not accepting Bitcoin directly. It is a third party service that is offering this opportunity.
StevenS

Activity: 206
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 25, 2015, 05:21:29 PM

I just used this service Saturday and yesterday, here in California. I was pleased by how well it worked:

On my Android, I browsed to coffee.foldapp.com and touched the "Load Bitcoin" button.
I chose $5, because my wife's grande half-shot, soy, peppermint, iced, decaf mocha, with personal cup costs about $4.65.
I then touched the "Pay using your bitcoin wallet." link, which brought up Mycellium, with a payment of 16.628 mBTC (about $4).
I sent the payment, and within seconds, as soon as my payment hit the network, the Fold page showed a bar code, which I scanned at the register. (Obviously, Fold doesn't wait for the payment to be confirmed in a block.)
After the barista acknowledged my payment, I touched the "Refund" button to collect the $0.35 change. I used Mycellium's "copy to clipboard" function to get my refund address to the Fold app. The refund was sent instantly.

Summary: Quick, simple, and painless way to get a 20% discount at Starbucks by using Bitcoin.

Starbucks is not accepting bitcoin directly, they are using a bitcoin-to-giftcard service called Fold. Not the best method I would have hoped, but the more merchant accepting bitcoin the better.

That is true, Starbucks may not even be aware of this program. Some may ask: "Then who's giving the 20% discount?" As near as I can figure out, people sell their unwanted gift cards at a discount. Googling, I found http://www.cardpool.com/sell/offers, where I got an offer to buy my hypothetical $20 Starbucks gift card for $14. This is a 30% discount, which allows sellers like Fold to offer a lower 20% discount and still make money. Fold does not say where they get their gift cards. At some point, the gift cards are stored electronically, which is how these apps get them to the buyer.
Submotion

Activity: 23
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 25, 2015, 05:24:24 PM

Can't say I agree with Starbucks' business practices but more companies to spend your bitcoins at is a plus, though you can get a better than 20% discount by buying Starbucks giftcards on the Marketplace here  Grin,
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: