Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 01:00:22 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What features would you want in an Exchange?  (Read 1482 times)
photoa6155 (OP)

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 05, 2012, 03:36:04 PM

With all the recent hacks and poor service of the exchanges, I am looking into starting an exchange. I would like input from the community on what some features would make you switch from mtgox or other exchanges. Here are a few thoughts I have.

#1 Security, Security and more Security
ACH withdrawals
Deposits through a major bank Branch
Built in Real time trading platform with charts, depth of market and time and sales built for real traders. Take a look at Lightspeed.com thats what I would aiming for eventually-Not sure if that would be cost effective at the beginning.

Any suggestions or ideas either negative or positive would be greatly appreciated.

I have been trading stocks and futures for quite some time and have connections with hedge funds, Investment advisors and others in the financial industry.

If there are any programers out there who would be interested to build or contribute to building such an exchange feel free to PM me.

Thanks

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
thezerg
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1010

View Profile
September 05, 2012, 03:51:20 PM

Who are you and why will you succeed where others have failed?
photoa6155 (OP)

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 05, 2012, 04:04:24 PM

I am no one of any importance. Why will I succeed will others have failed. Did not say I could, I was just looking for suggestions on what people need and want from an exchange. I am just gauging what the community needs and wants.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
September 05, 2012, 07:34:55 PM

If there are any programers out there who would be interested to build or contribute to building such an exchange feel free to PM me.

BitFloor's operator has tossed out the idea of open sourcing his code for BitFloor. 

Intersango has open sourced an old version of their exchange (before it was rewritten).

Bitcoin-Central (Paymium) operates their exchange using exchange software they've open sourced.

Open Transactions (OT) is likely to be a good starting point for building an exchange today:

- http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=96391.0
 - http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=95745.0

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Wat

View Profile WWW
September 07, 2012, 11:09:42 AM

Offer interest to people who keep their coins there providing liquidity and make sure you use a cold wallet.

ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
September 07, 2012, 12:48:11 PM

Just a sound security concept.
DonShrents

Activity: 96
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 07, 2012, 03:12:03 PM

All Exchanges, being either old or new, should specify their level of willingness to assume the role of "Bitcoin Police" in reference to tainted coins, or coin origin tracking in general. Users or Depositors should know well in advance that there is a possibility that their bitcoins will be subject to seizure if the level of taint is greater than what is acceptable by that particular exchange. Bitcoin deposit seizures by Exchanges, with virtually no avenue of recourse or protection for regular users should be a concern for everyone.

~DonShrents
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4616

View Profile
September 08, 2012, 02:13:59 PM

Audited business and security process.
Insurance.
Sufficient capital to weather small losses and costs of growth
Anonymity when converting fiat to BTC
Competitively low fees
Gaff

Activity: 924
Merit: 502

View Profile
September 08, 2012, 03:37:10 PM

Can't believe nobody has said this already:

Two Factor Authentication

Also make sure you're immune to social engineering, I don't want someone ringing up on my behalf claiming I've lost my token in order to get the security downgraded.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4616

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 01:36:47 AM

Can't believe nobody has said this already:

Two Factor Authentication

Also make sure you're immune to social engineering, I don't want someone ringing up on my behalf claiming I've lost my token in order to get the security downgraded.
I'd expect both the Two Factor Authentication and social engineering issues to be identified during the audit and before any insurance company would present any affordable insurance, so while I didn't specify either of those I figure I've got them covered.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2012, 06:24:19 AM

Now I know gdw that there was a similar thread, and for the life of me I can't figure out how Roman missed it, for it too listed SECURITY.
Deafboy

Activity: 482
Merit: 502

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2012, 07:51:09 AM

Public source code of actual running instance so anyone can check. (unlike all except intersango for a while)
Not hosted on VPS (unlike bitcoinica)
All partitions encrypted (unlike bitfloor)
Two factor auth (yubi key / google auth / oath)
Clear terms and conditions, so the account is not frozen AFTER the money arrives. (unlike Mt.Gox)
Possibility to lock withdraw info. So potential hacker cannot do the worst.
Prefer security over comfort (larger offline wallet even if it means longer waiting time)
burnside
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1004

Lead Blockchain Developer

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2012, 08:26:43 AM

All partitions encrypted (unlike bitfloor)

Not sure how this helps an operating exchange?  If the encrypted partition is mounted and the running daemon can access the wallet, then so can the attacker.  Unless I'm missing something, encrypted disk only helps secure cold storage.  (backups & stolen drives)

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: