Bitcoin Forum
June 14, 2024, 06:01:07 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Double spending's legal party  (Read 445 times)
Redones (OP)

Activity: 320
Merit: 261

Web developper

View Profile
May 14, 2015, 03:46:45 AM
Last edit: May 14, 2015, 04:12:53 AM by Redones

in reality of bitcoin transactions "we canno't cancel transaction made even its not yet confirmed"
i don't know if its possible or not that why i'm asking about cancel bitcoin transaction using double spending
imagine that you put wrong address's receiver and wanna cancel transaction if what i said is possible so you can send same amunt to another addres (one of yours) and like that you have 1/2 chance to cancel your transaction.
Finnaly if that all is true and possible can we consider it legal or no. ?
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 4658

View Profile
May 14, 2015, 04:15:10 AM

in reality of bitcoin transactions that we canno't cancel transaction made even its not yet confirmed

It depends on the exact circumstances of transaction.  In most normal situations, it is very difficult and unlikely that you will be able to stop a transaction once you send it.

i don't know if its possible or not that why i'm asking about cancel bitcoin transaction using double spending
imagine that you put wrong address's receiver and wanna cancel transaction if what i said is possible so you can send same amunt to another addres (one of yours) and like that you have 1/2 chance to cancel your transaction.

In most cases that is not possible.  Most peer nodes will reject and ignore the second transaction since they will already have seen the first transaction.  There are a few special circumstances where miners may not have seen the first transaction yet, and other special circumstances where miners may have forgotten about the first transaction after some time has elapsed.

That depends.  If you are doing it for the purpose of fraud (to gain something of value from someone while failing to deliver bitcoins that you agreed to deliver), then in most jurisdictions it would be illegal.

If you are not attempting fraud, then in most jurisdictions it would most likely be legal.
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1520

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2015, 11:52:13 AM

in reality of bitcoin transactions "we canno't cancel transaction made even its not yet confirmed"

Additional to what Danny said Id like the emphasise that the two transactions do not have an equal chance to get confirmed. The chance greatly depends on the details of each transaction, but lets consider a "normal" transaction with appropriate fee and all inputs are confirmed. You send your first TX (A), modify your client to forget about it and send your second TX (B). Now most of the nodes in the network will know about A within a couple of seconds. By the time you have modified your client to create B almost no other node would accept B, because they already know about A. Thus your chances to get B confirmed instead of A are infinitesimal.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: