Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 08:04:30 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: quick noob question  (Read 1015 times)
drakedog (OP)

Activity: 223
Merit: 101

View Profile
September 05, 2012, 05:57:28 PM

hello.. quick question

can i transfer my bitcoins from my cavirtex account to my silk road wallet? because i dont want to download the blockchain for my personal wallet

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
drakedog (OP)

Activity: 223
Merit: 101

View Profile
September 05, 2012, 06:29:14 PM

yea this was probably a stupid question idk why I even asked

it worked btw if anybody was wondering
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
September 06, 2012, 02:06:52 AM

can i transfer my bitcoins from my cavirtex account to

There are instances where you want to use your own wallet before sending funds out.

One reason is if there is a chance the party you are sending bitcoins to also uses CAVirtEx.  In that case, they might treat it as an internal transfer, and thus your transaction will never show up on the blockchain.  If you needed to prove that a payment was sent, you'ld need the assistance of the shared EWallet provider (CAVirtEx, in this instance).   Mt. Gox has a checkbox when withdrawing called Open Transaction, where if you mark that checkbox the transaction will always hit the blockchain, even if it is to the Bitcoin address for another Mt. Gox account.

Another reason is to not withdraw from an exchange directly to the party you are sending funds to is for privacy reasons.  By sending to an address in your own wallet and then from there sending a payment, there is then not a direct connection between where you withdrew from (CAVirtEx) and where you sent funds to.

If you are sending from CAVirtEx, they probably have your identity or a link to it (e.g., from a bank account transfer to them).  If that exchange were given a subpoena they might have to provide whatever identifying information they have collected.  There are EWallet services which don't collect any identifying information at all, such as InstaWallet.org       That might be an option which provides better privacy for your transaction than does withdrawing directly to the party you are sending funds to.  

By the way, in the future there's no need to specifically mention where you are sending funds to.  In fact, it it probably in your best interest that you don't.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █