Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 12:33:30 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Difference between physical meetups and online exchanges  (Read 1589 times)
Fedoraeuphoria (OP)

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 14, 2015, 02:25:23 PM

What are the pros and cons of buying bitcoins in person in a physical meet up as opposed to using an exchange.
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1520

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2015, 02:34:43 PM

What are the pros and cons of buying bitcoins in person in a physical meet up as opposed to using an exchange.

Pro -> Anonymity. Well you have to show your face, but not your POR and bank account details.
Con -> Robbery risk. It happend in the past and it will happen again. If you meet with someone in person you might get lured into a trap, hit on the head and have your money and/or coins stolen.

An exchange might rob you as well, but at least you dont get hit on the head.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
jonnybravo0311
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1023

Mine at Jonny's Pool

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2015, 02:36:41 PM

You get to actually physically meet somebody who's interested in Bitcoin?  Maybe you sit down with them and have a coffee... discuss your experiences with BTC... share stories... maybe you negotiate a different price with them... heck, maybe your local seller is the man/woman of your dreams and when you two meet up sparks fly.

You gonna find the love of your life by posting an order on an exchange? Tongue

Jonny's Pool - Mine with us and help us grow!  Support a pool that supports Bitcoin, not a hardware manufacturer's pockets!  No SPV cheats.  No empty blocks.
Fedoraeuphoria (OP)

View Profile
May 14, 2015, 02:39:01 PM

Pro -> Anonymity. Well you have to show your face, but not your POR and bank account details.
Con -> Robbery risk. It happend in the past and it will happen again. If you meet with someone in person you might get lured into a trap, hit on the head and have your money and/or coins stolen.

This has always confused me. If you buy coins from an exchange, won't the exchange link your Bitcoin address with your ID and therefore track every transaction thereafter? In effect, can't exchanges completely de-anonymise transactions if it starts from them?
Studio60

Activity: 59

View Profile
May 14, 2015, 02:45:48 PM

This has always confused me. If you buy coins from an exchange, won't the exchange link your Bitcoin address with your ID and therefore track every transaction thereafter? In effect, can't exchanges completely de-anonymise transactions if it starts from them?

There are differences in exchanges. For example, if you use Coinbase which is very legal and legitimate they will ask for all your identity information. If they suspect any connection to anything illegal with your account you are at risk of account being disabled and your info turned over to authorities, even if you didn't do anything, maybe you were just curious and visited some sites that sold illegal goods.

Alternatively you can use an established exchange like BTC-e.com. They are one of the oldest Bitcoin exchanges, but since they operate anonymously (the govt doesn't really know who they are) they can relax rules about how much info they collect and what they by law must track or report.

If you buy in person of course that's a different story. You don't give any identification, but you should still be careful not to get robbed. Use a very public place and meet inside, like a Starbucks so if you yell Help the person can't easily escape. There was a guy that met in a public place, but it was outside so he got robbed and the thief just ran away.
Fedoraeuphoria (OP)

View Profile
May 14, 2015, 02:56:15 PM

So there appears to be a scale between anonymity and security. There is Coinbase on the one hand with high security and then physical meetups with high anonymity.
Studio60

View Profile
May 14, 2015, 04:27:48 PM

So there appears to be a scale between anonymity and security. There is Coinbase on the one hand with high security and then physical meetups with high anonymity.

Yes, a neat thing about Bitcoin is people can use it however they want.

For example, I have no interest in using or selling drugs, but that's one of the biggest markets for Bitcoin because people can actually do it in a much safer way than meeting in some dark alley. So even though I don't use Bitcoin for that I don't necessarily want to give Coinbase access to everything I do with my bitcoins, because it's none of their business, even if it's totally legal. I have a coinbase account, but it's just for buying bitcoin conveniently. If I then want to use bitcoins to gamble for example I probably would send those coins from coinbase to some other site, like an exchange, then withdraw those coins to another exchange then maybe one of my other wallets like with blockchain.info. That way Coinbase can't accurately track where I sent the coins I bought from them. Hope that makes sense.
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3014

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
May 14, 2015, 04:35:41 PM

Find an ATM with realistic fees. Best of both worlds. There are some out there that have less of a premium than localbitcoins.
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
May 14, 2015, 05:37:53 PM

you may also end to be arrested as it has happened with burst, if police caught you off guard, there are i think some spy searching for those guys doing trading in RL

anyway in the usa is more severe, in other country you should do face to face trade more easily with less worry
randy8777
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 14, 2015, 06:42:26 PM

Find an ATM with realistic fees. Best of both worlds. There are some out there that have less of a premium than localbitcoins.

some atm's require you walk through a very annoying verification process. and beside that, you don't know what or who is saving your data.
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2015, 07:52:38 PM

you may also end to be arrested as it has happened with burst, if police caught you off guard, there are i think some spy searching for those guys doing trading in RL

anyway in the usa is more severe, in other country you should do face to face trade more easily with less worry

Arrested? No, they would need to establish that I am a flight risk (which I am not). Besides the fact that I did not break any laws I find the idea hilarious that the police is waiting at a local McDonalds to catch some bitcoin traders.

bitllionaire
Legendary

Activity: 1120

View Profile
May 14, 2015, 08:07:21 PM

The main problem of online is that you move money in banks and that leaves a path but it is easy and you can do from your home
The point of doing it phisicaly is anonimity,but it is most difficult and less comfortable
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3014

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
May 14, 2015, 08:09:51 PM

some atm's require you walk through a very annoying verification process. and beside that, you don't know what or who is saving your data.

Yup. It's a lottery. Some require you to smear your glans across the screen, others don't give a shit who or what you are. That's what you need to research.
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456

View Profile
May 14, 2015, 08:58:56 PM

Arrested? No, they would need to establish that I am a flight risk (which I am not). Besides the fact that I did not break any laws I find the idea hilarious that the police is waiting at a local McDonalds to catch some bitcoin traders.

Technically if in US you could be seen as money launder.   But they don't seem to enforce this much on individuals.  They go for the exchanges it seems.

Biggest time was around silk road take down they did go after people on money laundering.  Look up Charlie Shrem, he did get some serious trouble for what they considered money laundering.
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2015, 09:18:28 PM

-snip-

Technically if in US you could be seen as money launder.   But they don't seem to enforce this much on individuals.  They go for the exchanges it seems.

Nope. If you tell me you got the bitcoin by hacking or selling drugs, Ill just get a coffee and head out. Deal is off. Besides 10k USD is a bit out of my range.

(a) Whoever, in any of the circumstances set forth in subsection (d), knowingly engages or attempts to engage in a monetary transaction in criminally derived property of a value greater than $10,000 and is derived from specified unlawful activity, shall be punished as provided in subsection

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/1957

Biggest time was around silk road take down they did go after people on money laundering.  Look up Charlie Shrem, he did get some serious trouble for what they considered money laundering.

One runs a big company and failed to report substantial transactions that knowingly came from drugs deals, the other is just two people meeting for a private exchange of a reasonable small amount. I would think that in person exchanges rarely involve over 10k USD or the regional equivalent.

Studio60

View Profile
May 14, 2015, 09:26:24 PM

Technically if in US you could be seen as money launder.   But they don't seem to enforce this much on individuals.  They go for the exchanges it seems.

It's perfectly legal for individuals to buy bitcoins from other individuals. Just like it's legal for me to meet you and sell some old newspapers, or jewelry, or whatever. The problem comes up when people start talking about anything illegal. If you meet somebody and they say anything illegal just say no thank you and call off the deal.

Also, if you're doing small amounts it's not a big deal. If you're doing high amounts, like over say $5-10K, especially if you do this repeatedly then yes that could be a concern.

Biggest time was around silk road take down they did go after people on money laundering.  Look up Charlie Shrem, he did get some serious trouble for what they considered money laundering.

Charlie Shrem ran a business that exchanged bitcoins for fiat currency without proper licenses, and also when knowing they were likely to be used on the Silk Road drug marketplace. That's a no no.
monbux
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1029

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2015, 11:18:53 PM

All current BTMs (as far as I can tell) require some sort of extended verification.  localbitcoins and current bitcoin ATMs all have pretty high fees and value bitcoin at a lower price when they buy, and at a higher price when they sell.  Physical meetups - other than what the other users mentioned, you also get to meet some pretty cool bitcoin people. 
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456

View Profile
May 15, 2015, 12:27:46 AM
Last edit: May 15, 2015, 12:53:51 AM by notlist3d

Technically if in US you could be seen as money launder.   But they don't seem to enforce this much on individuals.  They go for the exchanges it seems.

It's perfectly legal for individuals to buy bitcoins from other individuals. Just like it's legal for me to meet you and sell some old newspapers, or jewelry, or whatever. The problem comes up when people start talking about anything illegal. If you meet somebody and they say anything illegal just say no thank you and call off the deal.

Also, if you're doing small amounts it's not a big deal. If you're doing high amounts, like over say $5-10K, especially if you do this repeatedly then yes that could be a concern.

Biggest time was around silk road take down they did go after people on money laundering.  Look up Charlie Shrem, he did get some serious trouble for what they considered money laundering.

Charlie Shrem ran a business that exchanged bitcoins for fiat currency without proper licenses, and also when knowing they were likely to be used on the Silk Road drug marketplace. That's a no no.

Can you cite your source for small amounts are always ok?  Because I don't read it that way.  If you are in US and did a trade on localbitcoins from BTC to USD, technically you could be charged with laundering depending on location.  It depends on local and state laws aswell - http://www.coindesk.com/will-floridas-money-laundering-laws-apply-bitcoin/

Will you get charged?  No... chances are they are looking for the big fish such as Charlie Shrem was.
Fedoraeuphoria (OP)

View Profile
May 15, 2015, 07:06:50 AM

Can you guys explain to me a standard "protocol" for a physical meetup. As in, do you pay in cash? Do you offer the cash first and then undergo the Bitcoin transaction? Basically how do you actually go about the exchange?
Muhammed Zakir

Activity: 560
Merit: 506

I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2015, 07:15:37 AM

Can you guys explain to me a standard "protocol" for a physical meetup. As in, do you pay in cash? Do you offer the cash first and then undergo the Bitcoin transaction? Basically how do you actually go about the exchange?

You first post in Currency Exchange sub-forum or in LocalBitcoins (popular) and will meet up at a mutually agreed place.

Exchanging cash or Bitcoin first depends on the users. Some send Bitcoin first and some give cash first.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: