Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 07:37:46 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: OneVillain.com Heads-Up Poker  (Read 9634 times)
sinner

Activity: 615
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 06, 2012, 11:34:27 PM

start a thread here imo: http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/58/heads-up-nl/

problem with getting regs to start having matches on OVP is they're gonna want to use a HUD.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
OneVillain (OP)

Activity: 83
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2012, 04:48:03 AM
Last edit: November 07, 2012, 04:11:13 PM by OneVillain

problem with getting regs to start having matches on OVP is they're gonna want to use a HUD.
They're very sensitive about posting in a way that promotes a website you own, so I won't start it, but anyone else should feel free.  Posting a hand that mentions it is probably good too.

Ya, some people will want to use a HUD, but hopefully it's an advantage to other people who don't like using them.

We're gonna try something soon, basically selling rakeback memberships. You can pay a one time fee to have a 100% rakeback account. Like, just as a temporary thing but good for life, to encourage some game building.  The fee will be really tiny at first and then probably raise when games are spreading more, details soon.  Sound interesting?  The point is basically to give the early players a good deal and build some momentum.

♠ Heads-Up Bitcoin poker [we're closed, thanks for giving us a shot]: OneVillain.com ♦♣ Follow us on Twitter
TTBit
Legendary

Activity: 1136
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 10:33:25 PM

They're very sensitive about posting in a way that promotes a website you own, so I won't start it, but anyone else should feel free.  Posting a hand that mentions it is probably good too.

Ya, some people will want to use a HUD, but hopefully it's an advantage to other people who don't like using them.

We're gonna try something soon, basically selling rakeback memberships. You can pay a one time fee to have a 100% rakeback account. Like, just as a temporary thing but good for life, to encourage some game building.  The fee will be really tiny at first and then probably raise when games are spreading more, details soon.  Sound interesting?  The point is basically to give the early players a good deal and build some momentum.

Suggestion: Have the rakeback memberships transferable. This would give some extra equity to early users.

good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment
OneVillain (OP)

View Profile WWW
November 09, 2012, 11:46:01 PM
Last edit: November 10, 2012, 12:03:10 AM by OneVillain

We're gonna try something soon, basically selling rakeback memberships. You can pay a one time fee to have a 100% rakeback account. Like, just as a temporary thing but good for life, to encourage some game building.  The fee will be really tiny at first and then probably raise when games are spreading more, details soon.  Sound interesting?  The point is basically to give the early players a good deal and build some momentum.

Suggestion: Have the rakeback memberships transferable. This would give some extra equity to early users.

By 'transferable' you mean you can sell it to anyone else?

Actually I screwed up that info.  Shocked  The accounts are gonna be a monthly thing, not for life. So we're just talking really small amounts.  And then they couldn't be sold for much since they expire in a month.  Maybe the transferable thing would still be fun, will have to think about it more.. would make more sense though if it was lifetime memberships. Mostly we want to give the rakeback accounts to people who like getting rakeback, and make the fee small enough that it's worth it.  

♠ Heads-Up Bitcoin poker [we're closed, thanks for giving us a shot]: OneVillain.com ♦♣ Follow us on Twitter
jjustinn

Activity: 34
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 11, 2012, 01:22:28 PM

OVP stopped paying cashouts?
No?  Sorry, I'm just seeing the thread bump now.  When did you request a cashout and what amount?  Still unpaid or all set?

It's all good now. There were rumors flying around and it took awhile, but the payouts have been steady again.
jjustinn

View Profile
November 11, 2012, 01:27:48 PM

You need something steady to keep people interested.

The every half hour 10 chips freeroll was interesting. Maybe even excessive.

Just steal from Seals with Clubs. 50 Chip Freeroll every hour, 45 +5 Half-hour with a small bonus...

Do something and stick with it....
OneVillain (OP)

View Profile WWW
November 13, 2012, 05:44:47 AM
Last edit: November 13, 2012, 07:14:19 AM by OneVillain

OVP stopped paying cashouts?
No?  Sorry, I'm just seeing the thread bump now.  When did you request a cashout and what amount?  Still unpaid or all set?

It's all good now. There were rumors flying around and it took awhile, but the payouts have been steady again.

Ya, turns out our system had a little hiccup while I happened to be AFKish, so didn't realize, sorry for the scare. Shocked

You need something steady to keep people interested.

The every half hour 10 chips freeroll was interesting. Maybe even excessive.

Just steal from Seals with Clubs. 50 Chip Freeroll every hour, 45 +5 Half-hour with a small bonus...

Do something and stick with it....

Ya, we do, we're always trying to think of ways.  It's hard to say how much the freerolls were helping grow the site, so we did cut back a little to the two 100 chip freerolls daily.  That seems better than the same amount of chips divided half hourly or even hourly.. maybe I'm wrong though of course.  Do you think a half-hourly for 5 chips would be fun, or too little to be worth it?  Hourly for 10 chips?  

If we grow I really would like to stick with something.. not trying to make you dizzy Smiley.. just kind of a guessing game right now and trying to figure out the best way to balance expenses.

jjustinn

View Profile
November 13, 2012, 11:16:05 AM

The biggest frustration is signing on and not being able to play something.

Something hourly would be nice. A freeroll from 10-20 would be fine, then do a buy in for 10-20 on the halfhour.

I mentioned Seals method because it's a good way to get people playing AND paying. Win a freeroll and you can hop right into another tourney for even more. It's a nice fit. Odds are you'd be getting most of the freeroll chips right back.

darkmule
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1005

View Profile
November 13, 2012, 07:13:23 PM

One problem with trying to compete with Seals, which also has HU, is that there are a number of regularly scheduled tournaments on Seals and often the start times on OVP conflict with them.  Especially without a two monitor setup (like I used to have before Black Friday), it is virtually impossible to play both sites at the same time. 

It might attract more people to schedule events both before and after major Seals tournaments, or at the very least avoid conflicting times.  For instance, a 10 or 50 chip freeroll for something to do on the half hour instead of the hour might get more Seals players (who are most of the BTC poker players at present).

When I've been there in a freeroll that attracted a number of people, a couple HU ring games usually tended to start up.  Lately, though, I've just showed up to see two or three people and no games, while Seals is active.

Not sure how to advertise it.  I've been very pleased with the site being snappy (perhaps because of few players) and cashouts being fast.  If I'd had better luck recently, I'd have kept at least a couple BTC there at all times.
jjustinn

View Profile
November 15, 2012, 02:55:33 AM

The biggest way to attract people is with prizes.
OneVillain (OP)

View Profile WWW
November 16, 2012, 09:26:23 PM
Last edit: November 17, 2012, 06:50:44 AM by OneVillain

One problem with trying to compete with Seals, which also has HU, is that there are a number of regularly scheduled tournaments on Seals and often the start times on OVP conflict with them.  Especially without a two monitor setup (like I used to have before Black Friday), it is virtually impossible to play both sites at the same time.  

It might attract more people to schedule events both before and after major Seals tournaments, or at the very least avoid conflicting times.  For instance, a 10 or 50 chip freeroll for something to do on the half hour instead of the hour might get more Seals players (who are most of the BTC poker players at present).

When I've been there in a freeroll that attracted a number of people, a couple HU ring games usually tended to start up.  Lately, though, I've just showed up to see two or three people and no games, while Seals is active.

Not sure how to advertise it.  I've been very pleased with the site being snappy (perhaps because of few players) and cashouts being fast.  If I'd had better luck recently, I'd have kept at least a couple BTC there at all times.
Thanks for your suggestions.  One thing we hope is that our site would appeal to a lot of players on Seals, without competing with them per se.  Well, obviously we'd be competing, but in a sense that helps both. (Since it's so easy to transfer BTC back and forth, and our cashouts are usually right away.)

You're right that playing both sites at the same time can be tough.  Remember you can shrink the size of tables. (I'm sure you know this, but just speaking in general to everyone reading.)  Shrinking tables and shrinking your web browser around them is the best way. If you have multitables on both sites, or a lot of tables on one site, definitely can be cumbersome.

Advertising is tricky, it's really expensive on a mainstream poker site like 2p2.  If you want to help, you can mention us whenever it's appropriate on any forums you post on.  We were (and are) hoping word of mouth would build up over time. The tough thing about HU is the games don't stick.  So even when we had decent action brewing, games could quickly die. We definitely need a decent mass of players to make sure there's always action.

OneVillain (OP)

View Profile WWW
November 27, 2012, 11:23:05 PM
Last edit: November 28, 2012, 12:14:36 AM by OneVillain

We're taking our games offline, guys.  Sorry it didn't work out, was fun while it lasted.  The website will stay up to accommodate withdraws for anyone with a balance.  

Junko
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 27, 2012, 11:38:24 PM
Last edit: November 27, 2012, 11:54:19 PM by Junko

Thanks for the games. It was fun. Good Luck in your future endeavors. GG
OneVillain (OP)

View Profile WWW
November 28, 2012, 12:13:43 AM

Thanks for the games. It was fun. Good Luck in your future endeavors. GG
Ty ty.  And to you as well, thanks for playing.

jjustinn

View Profile
November 30, 2012, 04:48:37 AM

I don't know how many chips I have in my two accounts. I can't log in to find out and withdraw.

jjustinn
justinringer
OneVillain (OP)

View Profile WWW
November 30, 2012, 06:28:21 AM

I don't know how many chips I have in my two accounts. I can't log in to find out and withdraw.

jjustinn
justinringer
Request a cashout for an amount higher than you have in there, and the error message will tell you the balance. 

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]  All
  Print  

Jump to: