Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 05:58:07 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: why aren't we, the community, regularly paying the lead developers of bitcoin?  (Read 4973 times)
imsaguy
General failure and former
VIP

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

Don't send me a pm unless you gpg encrypt it.

View Profile WWW
September 06, 2012, 01:04:18 PM

That said... stay tuned, and I'll say more when I can.

Where have we heard that before?  Tongue

Coming Soon!™ © imsaguy 2011-2013, All rights reserved.

EIEIO:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=60117.0

Shades Minoco Collection Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=65989
Payment Address: http://btc.to/5r6

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
bg002h
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1463
Merit: 1047

I outlived my lifetime membership:)

View Profile WWW
September 06, 2012, 01:22:53 PM

Hopefully the devs have a stake in Bitcoin from being early adopters...thus, they work to increase the value of their own coin. Also, it's not just devs that make Bitcoin valuable. Perhaps we should pay magicaltux, Charlie at bitinstant, coinabul, Casascius, Matthew, etc.

Hardforks aren't that hard. It’s getting others to use them that's hard.
1GCDzqmX2Cf513E8NeThNHxiYEivU1Chhe
epetroel

Activity: 431
Merit: 251

View Profile
September 06, 2012, 01:28:07 PM

That said... stay tuned, and I'll say more when I can.

oh my god we just figured out the announcement!

My guess would be that the project is going to be picked up by some OSS foundation - Apache maybe?
istar

Activity: 523
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 06, 2012, 01:32:44 PM

The point I clearly didn't make is that it's no surprise that Starbucks accepts things like Square because those are just improved technologies propping up the status quo.

Bitcoin is helping to build an entirely new economic model from the ground up.

Square plans to disrupt the retail payments market.  Merchant acceptance is what will bring users onboard.  There's no expensive infrastructue so merchants can adopt it with little risk.  It's becoming a common strategy.

Bitcoin will only ever be a niche currency until it's user-friendly - no matter how sound it is.  It could be being used as a leap frog technology in developing nations right now if it wasn't so cumbersome.  More user-friendly systems requiring only a smartphone already exist - Bitcoin needs to lift its game if it wants to compete in the payments market and not just be a speculative commodity until something shinier comes along.

Bitcoin creditcards? Bitcoin wallets like Bitcoinspinner for Android, super easy to use webwallets like coinbase and mywallet at blockchain.info.
Sending Bitcoins, via twitter, email, facebook...

Bitcoins - Because we should not pay to use our money
paulie_w (OP)

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 06, 2012, 03:22:46 PM

I've said that I think the download-and-install-software-on-your-PC is a mostly-dead way of using software, and that the vast majority of people using Bitcoin in a year or three will be using it via a web application or on their smart phone. That's half of the reason why I don't think improving the UI is a high priority right now (the other half is because I think solving wallet security and backup issues is critical).

people have been saying that for years and years already. i hope it isn't true.
I think Gavin's essentially right about the future of software but has over-estimated the time-frame.  People want the same kind if usability on their smartphones and tablets that they have on their laptops and PCs but they want it now, not in 2 or 3 years.  People don't their computing to be tied down by location any more than they want their telephony to require physical proximity.  There may be congestion issues with mobile computing at the moment, but people are still abandoning fixed internet connections in favour of mobile broadband and phone and tablet computing in droves. All many people need to make the switch total is some killer apps, and that will happen sooner rather than later.

i don't know. if what we're talking about is download-and-run vs download-and-run-in-browser, apple, google AND microsoft have shifted the game back to the latter, and it's probably going to stay that way for a good while.

(although frankly given the increasing restrictions you can almost count the app stores as 'browsers')
paulie_w (OP)

View Profile
September 06, 2012, 03:25:51 PM

The point I clearly didn't make is that it's no surprise that Starbucks accepts things like Square because those are just improved technologies propping up the status quo.

Bitcoin is helping to build an entirely new economic model from the ground up.

Square plans to disrupt the retail payments market.  Merchant acceptance is what will bring users onboard.  There's no expensive infrastructue so merchants can adopt it with little risk.  It's becoming a common strategy.

Bitcoin will only ever be a niche currency until it's user-friendly - no matter how sound it is.  It could be being used as a leap frog technology in developing nations right now if it wasn't so cumbersome.  More user-friendly systems requiring only a smartphone already exist - Bitcoin needs to lift its game if it wants to compete in the payments market and not just be a speculative commodity until something shinier comes along.

Bitcoin creditcards? Bitcoin wallets like Bitcoinspinner for Android, super easy to use webwallets like coinbase and mywallet at blockchain.info.
Sending Bitcoins, via twitter, email, facebook...

i shouldn't speak for him/her so much, i don't think that is what was meant exactly.

we're just talking about the very first experience here. you download, you run, and what happens? how many people assume that it is broken or not working because of a simple thing like the app not explaining that the blockchain has to download first?
Severian

Activity: 476

View Profile
September 06, 2012, 03:58:13 PM

Perhaps we should pay magicaltux, Charlie at bitinstant, coinabul, Casascius, Matthew, etc.

You pay them by using their services or buying their products. For instance, everyone has bought some physical bitcoins from Casascius, yes?
paulie_w (OP)

View Profile
September 06, 2012, 04:16:30 PM

yes i think the distinction needs to be made between already operating-for-profit companies and core bitcoin TEAM or related projects.
Fluttershy

View Profile
September 06, 2012, 04:23:22 PM

If the developers wanted to and were able to get Mt Gox and some of the larger mining pools on board, they could roll back the block chain to zero, claiming that since bitcoin was out of beta, they'd need to restart the whole thing. You should be polite to the devs so they don't do this.

Mike Hearn
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1129

View Profile
September 06, 2012, 04:37:10 PM

I agree with Steve that the right way to do this is to post assurance contracts (they don't have to be dominant) for concrete, well planned out and achievable goals.

"Assurance contract" is just a fancy term for what Kickstarter does. People make pledges. The money doesn't leave your wallet unless enough money is pledged collectively. With Bitcoin it can be done middleman-free.

The reasons this hasn't happened yet are:

• Most core developers are either already able to devote a lot of time to Bitcoin, or have stable jobs that they want to keep for now.
  • The infrastructure for doing Bitcoin assurance contracts doesn't exist.

I suspect in future somebody will set up a company that implements highly desired features using ACs as a funding mechanism.
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
September 06, 2012, 06:04:27 PM

Who is "we" and what are the requirements to be part of "the community"?

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
MatthewLM
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1004

View Profile
September 06, 2012, 06:53:37 PM

I'm putting a lot of time into cbitcoin at the moment. The motivation is not only to support bitcoin but because it leads onto some business ideas I have. Business sponsorship of bitcoin development would be one way forward.
paulie_w (OP)

View Profile
September 06, 2012, 07:10:24 PM

why do we need business sponsorship of bitcoin when we are literally making money?
paulie_w (OP)

View Profile
September 06, 2012, 07:12:04 PM

another idea: paying translators.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=106233
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
September 06, 2012, 07:29:56 PM

I'd rather see people on the dev team that do that awesome work because they believe in bitcoin and are crypto-geeks at heart rather than people who code for money.

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
MatthewLM
Legendary

View Profile
September 06, 2012, 07:32:18 PM

why do we need business sponsorship of bitcoin when we are literally making money?

What do you mean? Who's making money for what?
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
September 06, 2012, 09:07:16 PM

What do you mean? Who's making money for what?

he means we are mining it

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
paulie_w (OP)

View Profile
September 06, 2012, 09:56:36 PM

yep
MatthewLM
Legendary

View Profile
September 06, 2012, 10:14:51 PM

Since when were miners sponsoring bitcoin development?
paulie_w (OP)

View Profile
September 07, 2012, 04:42:19 AM

i'm not saying miners have to support developers, i'm saying we are literally manufacturing money with this platform, so we don't really have a problem figuring out where to get it, and we don't have to go to "businesses".
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: