Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 03:36:12 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Whence cometh the giant killers?  (Read 919 times)
okbit (OP)

Activity: 259
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 14, 2015, 10:49:16 PM
Last edit: May 15, 2015, 12:01:24 AM by okbit

On many threads in this forum, I read that adoption is the key to longterm success.

Adoption happens when users outside this forum and the short-term altcoin exchange speculators are actively engaged in the community, using and spending the coins.

Our current best (only?) method of measuring adoption is Congecko's ranking by community size and engagement: Coingecko community ranking

The ranking may surprise you, and I believe point us in the direction of the coins worthy of longterm investment.
We would all expect these three to be on top, and they are.

#1 Bitcoin
#2 Dogecoin
#3 Litecoin

What about the rest, I will list just a few, the most recently perceived giants and two coins I believe can be giant killers in terms of adoption. You can see them all on Coingecko.

#5  AppleByte
#11 Dash
#12 NXT
#21 MaidSafe
#41 Hyper
#49 Unobtanium
#73 NEM
#169 Guldencoin ** a postive exception, see below

In terms of the only thing that counts longterm, I see two coins that I think are potential giant killers. I don't mean in total market cap, but in terms of real adoption, and therefore longterm price appreciation.

AppleByte, the crypto supporting the arts - which currently has a social media following of 68,000+, tipping apps that have already been used to support over 700 working artists (not just for posting "to da moon"), a music site that accepts payment in AppleByte, and most importantly has provided artists with a place to spend AppleBytes from day one, which can be seen on their forum.

Guldencoin - The coin used in the Netherlands, has 88 local merchants in the Netherlands accepting Gulden and the Nocks.nl website allowing any merchant that accepts bitcoin to accept pay in Guldencoin, which provides a place for real users to spend the coins. The social media will never be as large as other coins used around the world, but they are building real adoption.

I discount Dash & NXT, because I believe there is too much competition, and more coming for the supposed Bitcoin "replacements".

So that, gentlemen/ladies is where I am placing my longterm bets. Comments?
Fuserleer
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1016

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2015, 11:31:52 PM

"Adoption happens when users outside this forum and the short-term altcoin exchange speculators are actively engaged in the community, using and spending the coins."

Smartest thing I've read on here for a LONG time!

While tech is important, we spend probably the same amount of time looking at our adoption roadmap when we finally go live.  Adoption is a HUGE focus for us, and gets as much attention as the tech development.

You'd be wise to at least keep an eye on us when we unshackle, we have some very "unconventional" ideas to kill some giants Smiley

okbit (OP)

View Profile
May 15, 2015, 01:22:32 PM

I'll check it out. Any coin focused on real user adoption interests me.
AdamWhite

Activity: 605
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 15, 2015, 05:50:08 PM

I like all of your picks, especially Guldencoin.

The only exception is Dash. No one will support that instamine scam. 1.5 million coins instamined in the first 8 hours, all while blatantly advertising "no premine"

Once the instaminers had their fill they slashed the block emission from 500/block to 5/block, and lowered total supply from 80 million to 20 million  Roll Eyes

Embarrassing what greed does.

okbit (OP)

View Profile
May 15, 2015, 06:59:00 PM

maybe you should read the nem white paper. Smiley just released a few hours ago, written by PhD's and industry leaders.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7wAe2jt1MMzYVJhUUFnMHQxZ1U/view

I am afraid your post validates why I did not choose Nem. Normal everyday users (the man on the street) do not read technical white papers. This will do nothing for Nem's adoption by the public, and without public adoption it is doomed to fizzle out as the technogeeks and speculators move on to the newest "technically innovative" coin.
First.Bitcoins
Legendary

Activity: 1156
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
May 16, 2015, 02:24:14 PM

Thanks for your comments on AppleByte. Here are some links for those who want to research the details:

Announce Thread: Announce Thread
Facebook: AppleByteMe FB Page
Twitter: AppleByteMe Twitter

AppleByte (ABY) is traded on Poloniex and Bittrex

Founding Dev of ArtByte, the crypto supporting the arts, started in NYC - May 1, 2014 ArtByte.me
MicroGuy
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1030

Twitter @realmicroguy

View Profile WWW
May 16, 2015, 05:50:44 PM

One reason I love GLD more than ever is because our new java client will have the potential to support all of these coins in a single wallet. No one wants to carry around a dozen currency apps on their phone.

Thus, regardless of which of these coins finds adoption, Goldcoin will too. Investing in GLD is therefore investing in all. There need not be duality.

Ask any question of our developer here: https://www.gldtalk.org/index.php?board=56.0
Zer0Sum
Legendary

Activity: 1588

View Profile
May 16, 2015, 07:58:05 PM

maybe you should read the nem white paper. Smiley just released a few hours ago, written by PhD's and industry leaders.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7wAe2jt1MMzYVJhUUFnMHQxZ1U/view

I am afraid your post validates why I did not choose Nem. Normal everyday users (the man on the street) do not read technical white papers. This will do nothing for Nem's adoption by the public, and without public adoption it is doomed to fizzle out as the technogeeks and speculators move on to the newest "technically innovative" coin.

thats the first piece of technical documentation to be released so far, so im not sure how it validates why you didnt read nem.. there is an entire blog with user friendly guides and tutorials on how to use nem and gives many lay mans explanations of everything.

blog.nem.io

Unfortunately, there isn't...
For example, I have about 250,000 XEM "vested balance" = about $40.00

The BIGGEST NUMBER in the client says "Impotance of account to NEM cloud" = 1.07%

Based on reading the paper and everything else...
I don't have the foggiest idea what this means...
And THIS is the most exciting thing about NEM... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

NXT has failed to attract/build any businesses with meaningful revenue and is stuck in the mud...
The NEM crowd seems even less business aware than the NXT crowd... if that was even possible  Cheesy
Zer0Sum
Legendary

Activity: 1588

View Profile
May 16, 2015, 08:13:54 PM

Adoption happens when users outside this forum and the short-term altcoin exchange speculators are actively engaged in the community, using and spending the coins.

Adoption happens when mainstream consumers "demand" and "use" your coin...
Not when retailers "supply" and "process" your coin...
Retailers would happily use wooden nickels if that's what people wanted.

That's why adding 1,000,000 retailers has done nothing for Bitcoin.

Also, social media stats are very easily faked using Asian "click framers"...
1000 Twitter followers costs $12, 1000 Facebook likes cost $29.99, etc

Here's a Stellar forum post explaining how STR has been completely manufactured using "click farms"...
(This basically means the CoinGekko social media algo is worthless...
Not to even mention that Github Activity can mean incompetent Devs and endless problems like XMR):

https://stellartalk.org/topic/7125-the-bot-bubble-how-click-farms-have-inflated-social-media-currency/

And here's the original New Republic article:

http://www.newrepublic.com/article/121551/bot-bubble-click-farms-have-inflated-social-media-currency

Who would have thought that Stellar could be even sleazier than Ripple...
Basically, in Crypto Land everyone is lying to you. What fun  Cheesy

okbit (OP)

View Profile
May 16, 2015, 10:31:06 PM

Also, social media stats are very easily faked using Asian "click framers"...
1000 Twitter followers costs $12, 1000 Facebook likes cost $29.99, etc

Not to even mention that Github Activity can mean incompetent Devs and endless problems like XMR):

Just because social media can be faked, doesn't mean all coins fake them. Do your research look at the followers and activity, it is easy to tell if they are real or not.

Your second comment about Github, I agree with completely! More often than not the ones with the most changes were coded poorly the 1st time and the activity you see is a constant stream of bug fixes. Dark is the best example of that, imho.
TaunSew

Activity: 756
Merit: 506

View Profile
May 17, 2015, 08:48:08 AM

Bitcoin according to ECB, FRB and Jeffrey Robinson is under 250,000 unique human users and that's over 6 years.  Whatsapp, messaging like digital payments which has been used since 1990s, is newer than Bitcoin and yet has 300 million users!  If Bitcoin was a company they'ld have shut the doors long ago, as for a global marketplace nobody is using it.

I don't think any of these coins show any indication *yet* that they're usable by millions or will be adopted by millions.

I'm more inclined to think the eventual winner will be an indie project that will be "taken over" by some big tech companies (buying 10%+ of the coin and perhaps paying a salary to the developers) - Yahoo, Facebook and sometimes Google has done this with various startups in the past years and their usage increased after acquisition.

There ain't no Revolution like a NEMolution.  The only solution is Bitcoin's dissolution! NEM!
First.Bitcoins
Legendary

Activity: 1156

View Profile WWW
May 19, 2015, 01:25:17 PM

I'm more inclined to think the eventual winner will be an indie project that will be "taken over" by some big tech companies (buying 10%+ of the coin and perhaps paying a salary to the developers) - Yahoo, Facebook and sometimes Google has done this with various startups in the past years and their usage increased after acquisition.

I have thought that was a possibility for a long time. But I do think that individual coins can build adoption, perhaps even more than Bitcoin. I was at the Bitcoin conference in NY recently and the big topic of conversation was, "What is the compelling reason to use bitcoin? Why would an everyday user pay with Bitcoin vs credit cards, etc?"

That's why I think it takes a community based coin to have a compelling reason.

Founding Dev of ArtByte, the crypto supporting the arts, started in NYC - May 1, 2014 ArtByte.me
tokeweed
Legendary

Activity: 3962
Merit: 1419

Life, Love and Laughter...

View Profile
May 19, 2015, 01:39:07 PM

Bitcoin according to ECB, FRB and Jeffrey Robinson is under 250,000 unique human users and that's over 6 years.  Whatsapp, messaging like digital payments which has been used since 1990s, is newer than Bitcoin and yet has 300 million users!  If Bitcoin was a company they'ld have shut the doors long ago, as for a global marketplace nobody is using it.

I don't think any of these coins show any indication *yet* that they're usable by millions or will be adopted by millions.

I didn't look at it that way.  It makes me think that the door is still wide open for a crypto other than Bitcoin to be on top.  Other coins have tried and failed, but who knows...  One could make it sooner or later.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT|
4,000+ GAMES
███████████████████
██████████▀▄▀▀▀████
████████▀▄▀██░░░███
██████▀▄███▄▀█▄▄▄██
███▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀███
██░░░░░░░░█░░░░░░██
██▄░░░░░░░█░░░░░▄██
███▄░░░░▄█▄▄▄▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
▀████████
░░▀██████
░░░░▀████
░░░░░░███
▄░░░░░███
▀█▄▄▄████
░░▀▀█████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
░░░▀▀████
██▄▄▀░███
█░░█▄░░██
░████▀▀██
█░░█▀░░██
██▀▀▄░███
░░░▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
|
██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██
▀█▄░▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄░▄█▀
▄▄███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███▄▄
▀░▀▄▀▄░░░░░▄▄░░░░░▄▀▄▀░▀
▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▄▄▀▀▄▄▄▄▄
█░▄▄▄██████▄▄▄░█
█░▀▀████████▀▀░█
█░█▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██░█
█░█▀████████░█
█░█░██████░█
▀▄▀▄███▀▄▀
▄▀▄
▀▄▄▄▄▀▄▀▄
██▀░░░░░░░░▀██
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
░▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███▀▄▀█████████████████▀▄▀
█████▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄███░▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
███████▀▄▀██████░█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████▀▄▄░███▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███████████░███████▀▄▀
███████████░██▀▄▄▄▄▀
███████████░▀▄▀
████████████▄▀
███████████
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
▄███▀▄▄███████▄▄▀███▄
▄██▀▄█▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█▄▀██▄
▄██▄██████▀████░███▄██▄
███░████████▀██░████░███
███░████░█▄████▀░████░███
███░████░███▄████████░███
▀██▄▀███░█████▄█████▀▄██▀
▀██▄▀█▄▄▄██████▄██▀▄██▀
▀███▄▀▀███████▀▀▄███▀
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
OFFICIAL PARTNERSHIP
FAZE CLAN
SSC NAPOLI
|
thebenjamincode

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

37iGtdUJc2xXTDkw5TQZJQX1Wb98gSLYVP

View Profile
May 20, 2015, 12:50:21 AM

if i were you i would stick to bitcoin because it is more established that the other coins
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: