Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 08:49:23 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Incubating Funds  (Read 2000 times)
kiba (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
September 18, 2010, 09:46:03 PM

How about a ycombinator type program for bitcoin businesses? Say, you fill out an application and VC fundie check the application to see if the business proposal have value and approve/disapprove. Once you got approved, you basically get X amount of funds from the pool and in return 10% of the revenues.

This will be more useful for services that need more than just a web host and coding chops.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
chaord

Activity: 218
Merit: 101

View Profile
September 18, 2010, 10:11:52 PM

I like it!  I assume you mean funds denominated in the national currency in exchange for a percent of revenues, denominated in bitcoins?  I think this would be ideal as it would give national funds required to aggregate talent and other inputs. 

Perhaps we can get a "show of hands" for who would be interested in doing this? Ideally if we could raise a pot of $100-200K, I think that could go a long way towards starting numerous prospective companies in a timely manner.
Anonymous

September 19, 2010, 03:14:28 AM

Mizerydearia wanted to build a kickstarter clone for bitcoin which I guess is similar to ycombinator. Maybe this could be a community project that everyone can get behind and also review proposals before they go to the vcaps?

Many hands make light work.  Grin
kiba (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 19, 2010, 04:57:22 AM

Mizerydearia wanted to build a kickstarter clone for bitcoin which I guess is similar to ycombinator. Maybe this could be a community project that everyone can get behind and also review proposals before they go to the vcaps?

Many hands make light work.  Grin

Ycombinator is an actual VC firm that incubate startups but kickstarter is a platform for projects to raise funds.

chaord

View Profile
September 19, 2010, 05:45:53 AM

I would prefer trying to start our own internal VC like ycombinator over kickstarter, but that's mostly because my video editing skills are piss-poor (nonexistent).  No reason we couldn't do both if we have enough funding though.
kiba (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 19, 2010, 06:16:33 AM

Ideas:

open source video game console.: cheap 200 dollars linux machine with cheap game controller and ethernet port to connect to the internet. I call it bitman 200. Starting capital is 400 USD.

robotic toy company: make lego clones using makerbots and engineer an open source robotic platform using lego clones. Extra bonus points for constructing a makerbot using said lego clones to manufacture even more lego clones. Starting capital is probably 1,200 USD.

But we should establish an economy based on web services first as they are non-capital intensive. Once there are a bunch of bitcoin entrepeneurs making some money, than we can consider funding VC effort.

BioMike
Legendary

Activity: 1658
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 19, 2010, 07:02:23 AM

Ideas:

open source video game console.: cheap 200 dollars linux machine with cheap game controller and ethernet port to connect to the internet. I call it bitman 200. Starting capital is 400 USD.

Like https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Pandora_%28console%29 ?
kiba (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 19, 2010, 02:32:48 PM

Ideas:

Like https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Pandora_%28console%29 ?

I was thinking of a traditional console that you plug into your TV.

Anonymous

September 26, 2010, 06:26:48 AM
Last edit: September 26, 2010, 06:38:14 AM by noagendamarket

The Idea Pyramid

You have a piece of original content.
You can sell shares in this content to people who subscribe to it or for live streaming the shares would be analogous to "seats".
Those people are eligible to also sell shares in your content.
The shares value would rise and fall as the content became viral or not.
The originator of the content would get a percentage of every trade and so would the site to cover hosting and profits to help keep it ad free.

Imagine if you had shares in one of the popular viral videos on youtube.... Grin

The idea here is to support and reward originators rather than taking advantage of them as well as supporting ad free content.  Think of digg or stumbleupon but you would get rewarded for submitting (with bitcoins of course!)

Could the multi level marketing model be adopted to support content gaining viral adoption ie with downlines and paid memberships where a percentage goes to those who refer members?

kiba (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 26, 2010, 06:35:48 AM

The idea here is to support and reward originators rather than taking advantage of them as well as supporting ad free content. 

I don't know why but I think I'll stick to ad-infested contents while using ads-blocker. N0body is going to pay to listen to you if they got thousands of other things that they can read, unless you're freakishly good.

chaord

View Profile
September 26, 2010, 08:32:39 AM

unless you're freakishly good.

I think this is the crucial point.  There is so much noise in information these days that it's high time people be rewarded for conciseness and accuracy.  I can't think of a better way to do that then a pricing system for unique information.  It may not be used for the typical "my baby just took her first poop," but it might be used for a quick analysis of a current event, some new scientific discovery, or trading.
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
September 26, 2010, 09:06:48 AM

You can sell shares in this content to people who subscribe to it or for live streaming the shares would be analogous to "seats".
The originator of the content would get a percentage of every trade and so would the site to cover hosting and profits to help keep it ad free.

I had a similar idea that would work with bitcoin modified torrent. Say I'm a comic writter, every week I put out a new edition and put it up for download, but set it only to go out to people who send a 1000BTC payment. Once they get the content it is completely theirs and they can try to resell it for whatever they want 900, 100, 2, .01 whatever. I'd guess that prices would fall pretty quickly, but really popular stuff could probably command a very high starting price with people expecting to be able to sell many copies at a moderate price.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
Anonymous

September 26, 2010, 11:51:38 AM

I had a similar idea that would work with bitcoin modified torrent. Say I'm a comic writter, every week I put out a new edition and put it up for download, but set it only to go out to people who send a 1000BTC payment. Once they get the content it is completely theirs and they can try to resell it for whatever they want 900, 100, 2, .01 whatever. I'd guess that prices would fall pretty quickly, but really popular stuff could probably command a very high starting price with people expecting to be able to sell many copies at a moderate price.

Yes it would be better to use a decentralized method of distribution. Perhaps combined with the bittorrent currency discussed in another thread ?

A quality torrent file is no different than a quality ebook and worth paying for guaranteed quality and speed of access.

Im not particularly against ads either they keep a lot of things cheaper or free.  Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: