Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 09:37:41 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: MTGox verification  (Read 12039 times)
greenmandk (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 06, 2012, 05:53:00 AM

Hello

I have set up a MTGox account, and I want to have it verified.
I am puzzled by the requirements for verification.

I have a passport (Danish citizenship) and a utility bill in Danish.
But what minimum steps must I  do to have the documents recognized as valid identification?

Kind regards

Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
September 06, 2012, 09:04:35 AM

I have set up a MTGox account, and I want to have it verified.
I am puzzled by the requirements for verification.

I have a passport (Danish citizenship) and a utility bill in Danish.
But what minimum steps must I  do to have the documents recognized as valid identification?

Looks like you have sufficient requirements:

- https://support.mtgox.com/entries/20919111-aml-account-statuses

Next just take a color scan / photo and upload it when you get to that part.

- https://mtgox.com/forms/verification

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

greenmandk (OP)

Activity: 3

View Profile
September 06, 2012, 10:20:15 AM

Looks like you have sufficient requirements:

Next just take a color scan / photo and upload it when you get to that part.

- https://mtgox.com/forms/verification
Thank you Stephen, but according to the info on the site, non-English documents must be translated into English, and the info is vague on how this must be done in order to pass verification.

Paying an attorney US$ 100+ for translating the document is overkill, but if this is the only way I can pass verification I want to be sure that I am doing the right thing before hiring someone to do the work.
data

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 06, 2012, 10:38:55 AM

I have just done this with my german national ID, which has the english words written onto it, and a letter showing that I had moved to that address from an official state registry, but those are easily fakeable anyway.
picobit

Activity: 547
Merit: 500

Decor in numeris

View Profile
September 06, 2012, 11:39:17 AM

Thank you Stephen, but according to the info on the site, non-English documents must be translated into English, and the info is vague on how this must be done in order to pass verification.

Paying an attorney US$ 100+ for translating the document is overkill, but if this is the only way I can pass verification I want to be sure that I am doing the right thing before hiring someone to do the work.

No, as I remember they say that documents in non-roman letters must be notarized, i.e. if you were Russian, Greek or Chinese they would not be able to read your name.  Probably your docs are OK.  Try submitting them before wasting money on a lawyer.

But do you really want to do this?  Personally, I am a little wary of sending such documents to a company far away.  It seems that these documents would be very handy for someone wanting to steal my identity.

Since you are situated in the EU, why don't you use Bitstamp or Intersango?  Both handle transfers in EU very well.  Right now Intersango is in a bit of turbulence, so I would probably use Bitstamp instead.

data

Activity: 84

View Profile
September 06, 2012, 11:44:52 AM

Picobit has a point, especially as their bank takes a 10PLN (about 2.40 Euros) off of your wiretransfer to them. Discovered that only after sending them my documents.
mickeyfinn

Activity: 22

View Profile
September 15, 2012, 11:18:15 AM

I got stung after opening an MT.GOX account. I transferred £100 from my bank account to my MT.GOX account and bought BTC. When I tried to withdraw it it stated that I had to verify my account even though it was only a small amount and I had complied with all the requirements. I am very wary about uploading personal details over the internet...especially passports, driving licence etc. In fact I wasn't just wary I was furious...it's like blackmail...unless I give them certain details I can't access my funds. To say it is disingenuous is an understatement...how do I know my personal details are in safe hands? I don't! Angry
will7am
Legendary

Activity: 973
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 15, 2012, 11:29:15 AM

I got stung after opening an MT.GOX account. I transferred £100 from my bank account to my MT.GOX account and bought BTC. When I tried to withdraw it it stated that I had to verify my account even though it was only a small amount and I had complied with all the requirements. I am very wary about uploading personal details over the internet...especially passports, driving licence etc. In fact I wasn't just wary I was furious...it's like blackmail...unless I give them certain details I can't access my funds. To say it is disingenuous is an understatement...how do I know my personal details are in safe hands? I don't! Angry

Ahh sh*t, I'm planning on transferring £50 from bank > mt gox.  I emailed them last night and they said you don't need to provide AML scanned documents for such a small amount.  Now I'm worried if I transfer funds they'll do the same to me.  The only reason I don't want to send scanned docus is the fact I don't have a scanner..

Would try bitinstant.com but their UK bank has been frozen..  FFS Tongue

mickeyfinn

Activity: 22

View Profile
September 15, 2012, 11:42:39 AM

Ahh sh*t, I'm planning on transferring £50 from bank > mt gox.  I emailed them last night and they said you don't need to provide AML scanned documents for such a small amount.  Now I'm worried if I transfer funds they'll do the same to me.  The only reason I don't want to send scanned docus is the fact I don't have a scanner..

Would try bitinstant.com but their UK bank has been frozen..  FFS Tongue
I registered with Intersango as well but it looks like they are not doing GBP bank transfers at the moment. Sad
picobit

Activity: 547
Merit: 500

Decor in numeris

View Profile
September 16, 2012, 07:35:46 PM

Intersango are in trouble with their british bank.  bitstamp.net seems to be the big, European exchange right now.  They only work in USD, but reportedly convert your euros at a very reasonable rate.

Stephen Gornick
Legendary

View Profile
September 17, 2012, 08:53:53 AM

The only reason I don't want to send scanned docus is the fact I don't have a scanner..

A photo from a mobile phone works too.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

umop3plsdn

Activity: 11

View Profile
October 03, 2012, 07:19:05 PM

Can you use a drivers license and a car insurance card?
Bitznbitz

Activity: 42

View Profile
October 07, 2012, 07:55:29 PM

how good a quality do these things need to be?
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

View Profile
October 08, 2012, 12:00:01 PM

Probably.   If not, they will let you know.  But once you start AML, you might not be able to do any trading or withdraws until successfully verified.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

Stephen Gornick
Legendary

View Profile
October 08, 2012, 12:03:09 PM
Last edit: December 11, 2012, 07:07:34 PM by Stephen Gornick

how good a quality do these things need to be?

They probably use software that can tell a photoshop job regardless of the quality so as long as it is readable you are probably ok.  I had a problem with a cheap phone that wouldn't focus well, so the only way it was readable was if I held the phone far enough away so that it would focus but then the ID wasn't even large enough to fill a quarter of the pic.  It passed anyway.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

getrichquack

Activity: 162

Need money

View Profile
December 11, 2012, 03:05:30 PM

NOT HAPPY !!!

MtGOX are forcing me to submit to this AML verification process and I'm only a basic user. (level 0)
I tried to access my account from work a few times ( from behind a proxy server) and this was apparently enough to deem me a risk !!
Next thing I know,  they locked my account and I cant get anything out !!

I'm so pissed off...No amount of reasoning will appease them ..They are effectively trying to bully me into verifying...and i just don't want to.
I don't trust their security . Not after that incident a year or so ago. And that was just user accounts and passwords!!!..
It would be just Great to have my actual name and address and bank details plastered all over an internet forum!!!

I'm not shonky in any way, I just want to enjoy the freedom of anonymity.
For me one of the most attractive features of trading  BITCOIN "was" the lack of a centralized control.

Well that didn't last long did it !!! Sad

salfter

Activity: 651
Merit: 501

My PGP Key: 92C7689C

View Profile WWW
December 11, 2012, 03:45:05 PM

The only reason I don't want to send scanned docus is the fact I don't have a scanner..

A photo from a mobile phone works too.

This...ended up sending them pix from my iPhone because my scanner was on the fritz.  Everything went through in a few days without issue.  The only problem I've run into with MtGox was when I had them send their free Yubikey...they then set my account to require its use before it had arrived, so I was unable to use the account for the week or so it took the Yubikey to get here (they sent it by EMS, but it was stuck in customs for a few days).

Tipjars: BTC 1TipsGocnz2N5qgAm9f7JLrsMqkb3oXe2 LTC LTipsVC7XaFy9M6Zaf1aGGe8w8xVUeWFvR | My Bitcoin Note Generator | Pool Auto-Switchers: zpool MiningPoolHub NiceHash
Bitgem Resources: Pool Explorer Paper Wallet
xcsler

Activity: 227
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 11, 2012, 06:24:55 PM

I've been waiting weeks for my free Yubikey! I'm in Northeastern US. Anyone else have this issue?
nobbynobbynoob

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

Annuit cœptis humanae libertas

View Profile WWW
December 11, 2012, 06:32:18 PM

I've been waiting weeks for my free Yubikey! I'm in Northeastern US. Anyone else have this issue?

It took a bit of time (two weeks or so?) but I received by Mt Gox Yubikey no trouble, in a neat little Japanese package. It did take some time for the site to update to the new security level, however: it took several days before the Yubikey recognition (long press) for withdrawals started working.

Earn Free Bitcoins!   Earn bitcoin via BitcoinGet
BTC tip: 1PKkvuwC24Vqjv9odigXs1QVzE66jEJqmb (if <200 µBTC, please donate to charity)
LTC tip: LRqXaNdF79QHvhPpS5AZdEJZnLiNnAkJvq (if <Ł0,05, please donate to charity)
xcsler

Activity: 227
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 12, 2012, 02:05:05 AM

Thanks.
I've been waiting more than 3 weeks. Hope they didn't forget. Roll Eyes
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: