Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 04:26:26 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Regulator assholes!!!  (Read 1094 times)
NyeFe

Activity: 699
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 15, 2015, 11:02:20 AM

That wiki leaks guy refuses to go to Switzerland because the US government might have him extradited to the USA from there. If the US wants to prosecute Xapo it could extradite the owners from Switzerland and probably shut down the operation through some legal means. Xapo should choose a country where there is no chance of extradition to the USA.

What wiki leaks guy?
I haven't heard of this before.
What happened exactly?
Got a link to that?

WikiLeaks achieved particular prominence in 2010 when it published U.S. military and diplomatic documents leaked by Chelsea Manning. Assange has been under investigation in the United States since that time. In the same year, the Swedish Director of Public Prosecution opened an investigation into sexual offences that Assange is alleged to have committed.[1] In 2012, facing extradition to Sweden, he sought refuge at the Embassy of Ecuador in London and was granted political asylum by Ecuador.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julian_Assange

Assange says if he gets extraditied from the UK to Sweden, then the US might extradite him from Sweden to the US.

I got Switzerland and Sweden muddled up earlier, but I guess if you can get extradited from Sweden to the US, then you can also get extradited from Switzerland to the US.

Hmm, I wouldn't be very sure about that.

Aren't Swiss bank accounts a tax evaders and basically every criminals haven?

It was. Things have changed http://www.out-law.com/en/topics/tax/tax-litigation--disputes-/the-ukswiss-agreement-over-taxation-of-undeclared-swiss-bank-accounts/

Hmm, I didn't know that.
The link you have posted says UK/Switzerland agreement though.
Doesn't mention U.S.
Not that it really matters because U.S & U.K work together right?

Well, as HI-TEC99 and NUFCrichard said, the U.S. And EU are also taking similar approaches regarding Swiss banking and taxations

MicroDApp.com—Smart Contract developers. Lets build a decentralized future!
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
louise123

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 15, 2015, 11:23:32 AM

That wiki leaks guy refuses to go to Switzerland because the US government might have him extradited to the USA from there. If the US wants to prosecute Xapo it could extradite the owners from Switzerland and probably shut down the operation through some legal means. Xapo should choose a country where there is no chance of extradition to the USA.

What wiki leaks guy?
What happened exactly?
Got a link to that?

WikiLeaks achieved particular prominence in 2010 when it published U.S. military and diplomatic documents leaked by Chelsea Manning. Assange has been under investigation in the United States since that time. In the same year, the Swedish Director of Public Prosecution opened an investigation into sexual offences that Assange is alleged to have committed.[1] In 2012, facing extradition to Sweden, he sought refuge at the Embassy of Ecuador in London and was granted political asylum by Ecuador.

Assange says if he gets extraditied from the UK to Sweden, then the US might extradite him from Sweden to the US.

I got Switzerland and Sweden muddled up earlier, but I guess if you can get extradited from Sweden to the US, then you can also get extradited from Switzerland to the US.

It was. Things have changed http://www.out-law.com/en/topics/tax/tax-litigation--disputes-/the-ukswiss-agreement-over-taxation-of-undeclared-swiss-bank-accounts/

Hmm, I didn't know that.
Doesn't mention U.S.

Well, as HI-TEC99 and NUFCrichard said, the U.S. And EU are also taking similar approaches regarding Swiss banking and taxations

This however, could prove to be a good thing for Bitcoin.
If all these millionaires cannot hide their money in Swiss bank accounts, they will resolve to Bitcoin and crypto in general.
Innit?

██████
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
                ▄███
             ▄███▌ █
            ▀▀▀██▄  █
          ▄███▄▄ ▀▀▀█
         █ █████▀▀▀▄▄
        ▄██ ███▄    █
       ▐███▀   ▀█   █
       ████     █   █
      ▄██▀▄█▄▄▄█▀   █
      ▀▄▄███▌      █
  ▄▄▄▀▀▀████       █
▄▀    ██ ██       █
▐▌     ██▌▐▌      ▀▄
█      ██ █         ▀▄
█      █▀▄▌          █
█   ▄▀█▄██           █
█ ▄▀      ▀▀▄▄▀▄     █
▀▀             █    █
              █  ▄▀
              ▀▄█
     ▀█████████████▄▄
 ▀ ▀▀▀███████████████▌
  ▀ ▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀▀▀▀██████         ▄███████▄      ▄▄███████▄    ▄███▄    ▄███▄ ▄███▄      ▄███▄
▀ ▀▀▀▀█████▄▄▄▄▄▄█████▌       ▄████▀▀▀████▄   ▐████▀▀█████   ▀████▄ ▄████▀ █████▄    ▄█████
   ▀▀███████████████▀       █████     ████▌          ████▌    ▀████████▀    █████▄  ▄█████▌
  ▀ ▀████████████████▀ ▀    ██████████████▌   ▄▄██████████     ▄██████▄      █████▄▄█████▌
    ██████      ██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ▀ █████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀    █████▀▀▀█████    ▄████████▄      ██████████▌
    ██████▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▄ ▄    ████▄▄   ▄▄█▄   ████▄  ▄█████ ▄█████▀▀█████▄     ████████▌
    █████████████████▀        ▀███████████   ▀████████████  ████▀    ▀████      ██████▌
    ██████████████▀▀             ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀       ▀▀▀▀▀▀ ▀▀▀    ▀▀        ▀▀        █████
                                                                               ▄█████
                                                                           ▄███████▀
                                                                           ▀████▀▀
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
██████
|█████████████████
███████████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
  WHITEPAPER 
 LIGHTPAPER
|Instant Deposit
✓ 24/7 Support
Referral Program
NyeFe

Activity: 699
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 15, 2015, 11:34:49 AM
Last edit: May 15, 2015, 11:45:51 AM by NyeFe

What wiki leaks guy?
What happened exactly?
Got a link to that?

Hmm, I didn't know that.
Doesn't mention U.S.

This however, could prove to be a good thing for Bitcoin.
If all these millionaires cannot hide their money in Swiss bank accounts, they will resolve to Bitcoin and crypto in general.
Innit?

You're right, that could be the case. But it could possibly lead to tougher regulations and higher taxes for bitcoin businesses [..]

Strategically I don't think it would be very beneficial if Bitcoin is portrayed as a tax avoidance tool, perhaps someone else could bring further insight to this?

MicroDApp.com—Smart Contract developers. Lets build a decentralized future!
Jeremycoin
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1003

𝓗𝓞𝓓𝓛

View Profile
May 15, 2015, 03:49:52 PM

Xapo leaves California for Switzerland - due to dumb cops.
http://www.coindesk.com/xapo-switzerland-privacy-concerns/

Well, I think the Finance police (Calvery, Lawsky and their buddies) have given every reason for Bitcoin enterprises to pack it up and leave the US.  They couldn't wait for need to arise, instead they decided to stick their heads up everyone's ass before trouble begins.  No more effective way to get people to say 'Adios!'  Stupid fucking cops.  

Way to put out the fire!!!  London is trying to do the opposite.  In 20 years, everyone will be talking about how the US let bitcoin technology go offshore.

Well, personally I think it's a good thing.
Why do I say that?

Well, now everybody will realize that the U.S. is no place to be because you will always be depressed.
So, they all leave, go where they can actually operate and be (more) free.
Oh, and the good part: The U.S. government wont be able to do jack shit because it's out of their jurisdiction.

Lesson we have learned?
Bitcoin will continue to operate within or without the U.S. because Bitcoin is universal  Wink

I agree with you, Bitcoin is universal so people would not stop using Bitcoin just because 1 country. Because  Bitcoin is not run by any country, it's in the internet Smiley

faucet used to be profitable
jertsy

Activity: 341
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 15, 2015, 06:04:19 PM

Xapo leaves California for Switzerland - due to dumb cops.
http://www.coindesk.com/xapo-switzerland-privacy-concerns/

Well, I think the Finance police (Calvery, Lawsky and their buddies) have given every reason for Bitcoin enterprises to pack it up and leave the US.  They couldn't wait for need to arise, instead they decided to stick their heads up everyone's ass before trouble begins.  No more effective way to get people to say 'Adios!'  Stupid fucking cops.  

Way to put out the fire!!!  London is trying to do the opposite.  In 20 years, everyone will be talking about how the US let bitcoin technology go offshore.

Well, personally I think it's a good thing.
Why do I say that?

Well, now everybody will realize that the U.S. is no place to be because you will always be depressed.
So, they all leave, go where they can actually operate and be (more) free.
Oh, and the good part: The U.S. government wont be able to do jack shit because it's out of their jurisdiction.

Lesson we have learned?
Bitcoin will continue to operate within or without the U.S. because Bitcoin is universal  Wink

I agree with you, Bitcoin is universal so people would not stop using Bitcoin just because 1 country. Because  Bitcoin is not run by any country, it's in the internet Smiley

It would continue to operate without the U.S, but a U.S. ban would severely damage it. Other developed countries often follow the United State's lead and would probably also ban it. Right now the U.S. has chosen to regulate it rather than ban it, and other developed countries are also following the regulation path. Beginning in September 2015, France will start monitoring all cash transfers, which will probably mean tighter cryptocurrency regulations involving cash transfers to exchanges.
jdebunt
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1010

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2015, 07:46:44 PM

the US simply is too "up in the air" regarding regulations for companies to keep their HQ there. We might see Xapo return in the future though.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: