Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 07:51:22 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Quant computers in five years  (Read 2199 times)
gollum (OP)

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

In Hashrate We Trust!

View Profile
September 06, 2012, 11:39:20 AM

Biggest threat to bitcoin and any other financial service in the world: quant compuets are here in five years.

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/security/376693/q-a-silicon-success-brings-quantum-computers-closer/2#ixzz25ZkV6PsV

I guess NSA will have the prototypes a couple of years before the technology gets main stream.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
September 06, 2012, 11:43:43 AM

More likely they will be used to dominate the bitcoin mining.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
gollum (OP)

Activity: 434

In Hashrate We Trust!

View Profile
September 06, 2012, 11:49:37 AM

Im afraid NSA will use their quant computers to destroy the bitcoin network before we will be able to buy them for mining....
One quant processor is enough to compete with thousands of ASICs
tpantlik

Activity: 136
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 06, 2012, 11:51:59 AM

look here, interesting comments - http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/zb6qu/first_quantum_chip_announced/

Mining: CPU -> GPU -> FPGA -> ASIC -> QUANTUM  muhehehe  Grin

Gods sent us a powerful tool - cryptography - to fight with those who are trying to exploit us. USE IT!!
squid

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 06, 2012, 11:57:44 AM

This is the same guy who has been overhyping this for the last few days. I have seen no new data (silicon photonics have been used before to create qubits already in the past, before this guys jan 2012 in an obscure journal) or newly published papers. This is merely an advertising blitz probably trying to secure some funding for his research group/center. Take everything this guy is saying with a grain of salt.
Boussac
Legendary

Activity: 1220
Merit: 1015

e-ducat.fr

View Profile WWW
September 06, 2012, 12:04:23 PM

The problem with this kind of predictions is that it can only be formulated by people with a vested interest in their realization. Reading the article, left me with the question: where are the facts ?

sgravina

Activity: 451

View Profile
September 06, 2012, 12:04:43 PM

Biggest threat to bitcoin and any other financial service in the world: quant compuets are here in five years.

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/security/376693/q-a-silicon-success-brings-quantum-computers-closer/2#ixzz25ZkV6PsV

I guess NSA will have the prototypes a couple of years before the technology gets main stream.

That is a poor article.  It doesn't name the person making the predictions.  The basis of the predictions is an analogy to the development of transistors.  Something like, "Transistors make computers, our devices will make computers."  Nothing in that article about how to build a quantum computer.  If you are going to make one in 5 years you should be able to articulate why.

It is still not known what will become of quantum computing.
vuce

Activity: 476

View Profile
September 06, 2012, 12:05:10 PM

Even if, bitcoin will just switch to quantum resistant cryptography and everything will be fine.
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2349

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
September 06, 2012, 12:50:30 PM

Actually, if realised quantum computing can theoretically supply better digital money than bitcoin ...

http://arxiv.org/abs/1004.5127

Specifically, Public-key Quantum Money without secrets becomes theoretically possible.

http://mags.acm.org/communications/201208?pg=90#pg93

kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1025

View Profile
September 06, 2012, 01:07:46 PM

In 2001, the first (allegedly) quantum factoring was done, breaking 15 into 5 x 3.  Now, in 2012, a state of the art quantum computer has advanced to the point that it can factor 15 into 5 x 3, almost half of the time.  I think we have more than 5 years before QC starts threatening bitcoin.

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
September 06, 2012, 01:17:51 PM

In 2001, the first (allegedly) quantum factoring was done, breaking 15 into 5 x 3.  Now, in 2012, a state of the art quantum computer has advanced to the point that it can factor 15 into 5 x 3, almost half of the time.  I think we have more than 5 years before QC starts threatening bitcoin.

exactly ....

n8rwJeTt8TrrLKPa55eU

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 06, 2012, 01:36:51 PM

Actually, if realised quantum computing can theoretically supply better digital money than bitcoin ...

Specifically, Public-key Quantum Money without secrets becomes theoretically possible.

Remember that Bitcoin is not just the ledger/validation/anti-counterfeiting capabilities, but also a set of rules controlling and decentralizing the issuance.  If I read your links correctly, the researchers are essentially proposing a system of digital/quantum monetary units that can be independently verified as genuine, thus leaving the issuance of money still in control of governments and banks.  It's basically a drop-in replacement for the existing monetary system, but made fully digital and non-counterfeitable.  So I'd argue that for most individuals, Bitcoin would still be better "money" if you valued features such as predictable and decreasing inflation or full decentralization.

Possibly some really smart new Satoshi could merge this idea of independent quantum monetary units with self-verification (i.e. not needing a Blockchain), with some Bitcoin-like system to restrict and decentralize issuance.  In that case it could legitimately claim to be an improvement over the current Bitcoin.

mccorvic

Activity: 518

View Profile
September 06, 2012, 01:58:09 PM

There is a joke within many tech circles that anything that is stated to be out in "five years" is vaporware.

Seriously, for whatever reason everything is always just five years away.  It must be some magical time frame that is far enough in the future that no one expects you to have any actual evidence, but close enough for people to get excited about it.

Offering Video/Audio Editing Services since 2011 - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=77932.0
Draino

Activity: 168

View Profile
September 06, 2012, 02:54:45 PM

There is a joke within many tech circles that anything that is stated to be out in "five years" is vaporware.

Seriously, for whatever reason everything is always just five years away.  It must be some magical time frame that is far enough in the future that no one expects you to have any actual evidence, but close enough for people to get excited about it.

this

certain things are always 3-5 years away
kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1025

View Profile
September 06, 2012, 02:58:33 PM

this

Haha!  IPv6 is coming "tomorrow" and has been since the early 90s.

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
tpantlik

Activity: 136

View Profile
September 06, 2012, 03:00:40 PM

this

Haha!  IPv6 is coming "tomorrow" and has been since the early 90s.

But IPv6 is real working protocol, not a sci-fi HW :]

Gods sent us a powerful tool - cryptography - to fight with those who are trying to exploit us. USE IT!!
mobile4ever

Activity: 546

View Profile
September 06, 2012, 05:20:14 PM

exactly ....

Quantums will not be doing much in five years. But then bitcoin is not going to be finished until around 2140 or so.
flynn

Activity: 728
Merit: 540

View Profile
September 06, 2012, 05:43:21 PM

<sarcasm>
It looks like a rumor spread by BFL ...
</sarcasm>

intentionally left blank
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
September 06, 2012, 11:08:22 PM

Remember that Bitcoin is not just the ledger/validation/anti-counterfeiting capabilities, but also a set of rules controlling and decentralizing the issuance.  If I read your links correctly, the researchers are essentially proposing a system of digital/quantum monetary units that can be independently verified as genuine, thus leaving the issuance of money still in control of governments and banks.  It's basically a drop-in replacement for the existing monetary system, but made fully digital and non-counterfeitable.  So I'd argue that for most individuals, Bitcoin would still be better "money" if you valued features such as predictable and decreasing inflation or full decentralization.

Wow you must have read through those links quickly  Wink Actually the issuance of such money would be available to any entity in possession of the algorithm not just "still in the control of banks and government" ... big difference. There are other important differences that make the Public-Key Quantum Money much more like digital cash than the current blinded signature cash schemes out there, particularly there is no need to negotiate with the issuer to verify the validity of the coins. This is important since it makes the fully-anonymous coins easily transferable like cash without leaving a network trail of who's transacting with who and etc. Bitcoin cannot do this easily, and Bitcoin can't do fully anonymous at all, pseudo-anonymity will always be Bitcoins deficiency. The market values fungibility, that much is evidentially known with certainty, so I'd argue PKQM is theoretically 'better' money than Bitcoin on those grounds at least.

Possibly some really smart new Satoshi could merge this idea of independent quantum monetary units with self-verification (i.e. not needing a Blockchain), with some Bitcoin-like system to restrict and decentralize issuance.  In that case it could legitimately claim to be an improvement over the current Bitcoin.

We live in hope ... some of us may even be working on it, who knows? You are right that Satoshi has laid a groundwork for how it can be done and other technologies can incorporate whatever works best. The decentralised, restricted issuance, Open Source, network consensus part of Bitcoin technology is formidable to be sure.

n8rwJeTt8TrrLKPa55eU

Activity: 588

View Profile
September 07, 2012, 11:49:16 PM
Last edit: September 08, 2012, 12:02:11 AM by n8rwJeTt8TrrLKPa55eU

There are other important differences that make the Public-Key Quantum Money much more like digital cash than the current blinded signature cash schemes out there, particularly there is no need to negotiate with the issuer to verify the validity of the coins. This is important since it makes the fully-anonymous coins easily transferable like cash without leaving a network trail of who's transacting with who and etc. Bitcoin cannot do this easily, and Bitcoin can't do fully anonymous at all, pseudo-anonymity will always be Bitcoins deficiency. The market values fungibility, that much is evidentially known with certainty, so I'd argue PKQM is theoretically 'better' money than Bitcoin on those grounds at least.

Agreed, the potential full anonymity of the quantum system (which I failed to notice due to excessively quick skimming Wink), is a definite plus over Bitcoin.  In fact I consider the lack of automatic anonymity to be the single biggest long-term problem in Bitcoin, and I've always believed it will eventually need to be somehow solved at the protocol level, so that non-technical people can use Bitcoin via any client without inadvertently leaking personal financial metrics and relationships.  Undoubtedly, a blockchain/ledger system has definite pluses in some scenarios, but also noticeable unresolved minuses.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: