Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 03:09:20 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: NEM Technical Reference (White paper) Released!!!!!!  (Read 2604 times)
kodtycoon (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1568
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 15, 2015, 05:22:36 PM
Last edit: May 21, 2015, 06:15:46 AM by kodtycoon

NEM technical reference: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7wAe2jt1MMzYVJhUUFnMHQxZ1U/view

edit:

paper on node rewards released

Announcement

The general plan for NEM node rewards has been drafted and is now ready for public comment. If you have any queries, comments or suggestions you would like to make to improve this program, please post them at the forum or at the blog.  You can download the draft here

▄▄██████▄
         ▄▄████████████
   ▄▄█████████▀▀   ▀████
 ▄███████████▄      ████
████▀   ▀▀██████▄▄▄████
████      ▄███████████▄
▀████▄▄▄████████▀▀▀████▄
 ▀███████████▀      ████
 ████▀▀▀██████▄▄   ▄███▀
████      ▀███████████▀
████▄   ▄▄█████████▀▀
 ████████████▀▀
  ▀██████▀▀
█████████████████

███

██████████

██████

███████████

███████████████

███████████████████
█████████████████

███   

██████████

██████   

███████████

███████████████   

███████████████████
▄█████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████
██████▀███████▀   ▀▀▀▄█████
█████▌  ▀▀███▌       ▄█████

████▀               █████
█████▄              ███████
██████▄            ████████
███████▄▄        ▄█████████
█████▄▄       ▄████████████
▀█████████████████████████▀
██████████████████▀▀███████
█████████████▀▀▀    ███████

███████▀▀▀   ▄▀   ███████
█████▄     ▄█▀     ████████
████████▄ █▀      █████████
█████████▌▐       █████████
██████████ ▄██▄  ██████████
████████████████▄██████████
███████▀           ▀███████
██████  ▄██▀▀▀▀▀█▀▄  ██████

█████  █▀  ▄▄▄  ▀█  █████
██████  █  █████  █  ██████
██████  █▄  ▀▀▀  ▄█  ██████
██████  ▀██▄▄▄▄▄██▀  ██████
███████▄           ▄███████
██████████▀█████▀██████████
███████▀  ▀     ▀  ▀███████

█████▌             ▐█████
██████    ██   ██    ██████
█████▌    ▀▀   ▀▀    ▐█████
██████▄  ▄▄▄   ▄▄▄  ▄██████
████████▄▄███████▄▄████████
aleix
Legendary

Activity: 1779
Merit: 1100

View Profile
May 15, 2015, 05:45:46 PM

thanks for this!! It looks really nice.

Now I need some time to read it and understand it Roll Eyes
aleix
Legendary

Activity: 1779
Merit: 1100

View Profile
May 15, 2015, 05:54:21 PM

thanks for this!! It looks really nice.

Now I need some time to read it and understand it Roll Eyes

if you can understand that math, i take my hat off to you sir... lol

i'll take my time to try  Smiley
NoirSuccubus

Activity: 353
Merit: 108

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2015, 08:47:22 PM

NEM will be big, mark my words.   
jabo38
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1001

mining is so 2012-2013

View Profile WWW
May 16, 2015, 02:11:35 AM

I've read a lot of white papers before and none were that in depth, and none were that revolutionary since Bitcoin.  

This thing explains 3 new technologies to cryptocurrencies. PoI, P2P time synchronization among nodes, and Eigentrust++ among nodes.  

And don't forget new twists on old tech like now having blockchain based notifications for multisig, or a new kind of localized spam protection; both being firsts in crypto.  

I am the guy

Activity: 237
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 16, 2015, 11:44:01 PM

Wow this white paper is pretty technical. In all my research NEM is the most interesting. I mean POI + talented dev team. It seems like though your community is sort of dead idk. Great paper and I look forward to the new economy's future. 

patmast3r

Activity: 980
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 17, 2015, 07:08:44 AM

Wow this white paper is pretty technical. In all my research NEM is the most interesting. I mean POI + talented dev team. It seems like though your community is sort of dead idk. Great paper and I look forward to the new economy's future. 

That because it mostly lives on telegram. The majority has abandoned the toxic pit that is btt.

kelsey
Legendary

Activity: 1876
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 18, 2015, 01:09:22 AM

so POS encourages hoarding, and those who have the most get the most.

to get around this NEM powers to be have created a equation so network activity adjusts the amount a user can earn (awards an importance score) so its not just a simple larger hoarder with the biggest holding wins.

yes? no?
americanpegasus

Activity: 770
Merit: 502

View Profile
May 18, 2015, 03:04:57 AM

to get around this NEM powers to be have created a equation so network activity adjusts the amount a user can earn (awards an importance score) so its not just a simple larger hoarder with the biggest holding wins.

yes? no?

I don't know, but I'm surprised he didn't draw butterflies and hearts on the damn thing. 

Satoshi's original white paper was simple, elegant, and the beauty lie in the information and proposed solution.  This arts-and-crafts project borders between advertising mailer and actual mathematics.

Account is back under control of the real AmericanPegasus.
Troonetpt

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 18, 2015, 04:23:25 AM

I don't see anything new in the NEM coins, it's just a copy altcoins, just ignore it.
kelsey
Legendary

View Profile
May 18, 2015, 01:33:56 PM

I don't see anything new in the NEM coins, it's just a copy altcoins, just ignore it.

the logic of posting this in the very thread that proves your post invalid is astounding.. astoundingly bad! Cheesy

yet ironically you responded to this rather then a genuine question i posed  Undecided
americanpegasus

View Profile
May 18, 2015, 02:53:33 PM

What's to stop someone from simply owning many NEM addresses and passing coins around within those addresses to fake importance?   

If that's possible, what's stopping someone from automating this process?

JohnnyBTCSeed

Activity: 882

View Profile
May 18, 2015, 03:37:53 PM

the logic of posting this in the very thread that proves your post invalid is astounding.. astoundingly bad! Cheesy

yet ironically you responded to this rather then a genuine question i posed  Undecided

i didnt see your comment.

yes? no?

yes thats how it is supposed to work.. so effectively someone who is active in the network that does transactions on a regular basis ends up with a higher importance, and thus reward, than someone who simply hoards their coins. its not just rewards that gets better distributed either. a users importance is the users level of control over the network, so those who use the network the most will inherently have a higher level of control the network than someone with an equal amount of coins that doesnt ever transact.

So is it fair to say that not all holders are created equal then? In fact some holders are more important then others and should be given preferential treatment?
americanpegasus

View Profile
May 18, 2015, 05:47:26 PM

Wait...  "when everyone got their coins in the genesis"... is NEM a premine? 

americanpegasus

View Profile
May 18, 2015, 06:27:58 PM

Wait...  "when everyone got their coins in the genesis"... is NEM a premine? 

if you mean there is no mining in nem by "premine" then yes.

there were >1500 users in nems genesis most of which are unique users and most of which only got 1/2 stakes, and the proof is in the current distribution. 3/4 rounds of stake holder analysis removed pretty much all sock masters, resulting in brilliant distribution.

ps: http://cointelegraph.com/news/114289/nem-technical-reference-introduces-reputation-enhanced-proof-of-importance

So coins were sold prior to launch. 

I see.   

I think we both know that a coin that had pre-sales can never be one of the final and long term cryptos of the world, but I do wish you the best of luck with your NEM, and may you successfully convince other users to buy in. 

It's obvious a lot of work went into it, despite the crippling economic flaws it incorporates.   

Long live NEM.

JohnnyBTCSeed

View Profile
May 18, 2015, 06:32:55 PM

Can you please explain vested vs unvested concept? Thanks
JohnnyBTCSeed

View Profile
May 18, 2015, 07:18:39 PM

Can you please explain vested vs unvested concept? Thanks

Whenever an account receives XEM, the new XEM are added to the account’s unvested balance. When an account sends XEM, XEMs are taken from both the vested and the unvested balance, to retain the vested to unvested ratio. Additionally, every 1440 blocks, 1/10 of the unvested balance is moved to the vested part. - SEC 2.1

I read that page and didnt understand those terms hence the question
kelsey
Legendary

View Profile
May 19, 2015, 01:26:22 AM

yes? no?

yes thats how it is supposed to work.. so effectively someone who is active in the network that does transactions on a regular basis ends up with a higher importance, and thus reward, than someone who simply hoards their coins. its not just rewards that gets better distributed either. a users importance is the users level of control over the network, so those who use the network the most will inherently have a higher level of control the network than someone with an equal amount of coins that doesnt ever transact.

so a huge advantage to the exchanges.

we can interact and boast out importance but all along the way getting fees for doing so, (and with my tests i'm easily paying more fees then getting mined).

exchanges well they use the users coins to stake, get plenty of artificial network participation, yet their uses pay their fees, so exchanges have the edge and in any such system any player who has an edge has potential to own the system.

exchanges WIN WIN, users some WIN LOSE others LOSE LOSE .
spartacusrex

Activity: 718
Merit: 545

View Profile
May 19, 2015, 11:47:05 AM

Thanks kodtycoon. Always answering our POS queries..  Tongue

That's a big paper.. lot of work.. took a while to skim it, let alone digest it. A feat like that always deserves .. congratulations!

Here is the EigenTrust++ pdf , which I thought explained a few bits clearer.

http://www.cc.gatech.edu/~lingliu/papers/2012/XinxinFan-EigenTrust++.pdf

1) So with PoI a lower stake can have more importance, how does this affect the 51% attack ? How much stake and importance can you 'theoretically' get away with to have 51% power ?

2) If all the participants in the PoI scheme behaved similarly, this would mean a straight POS system ?

3) NEM's architecture vs NEUCoin's vs NXT ? (These seem the big POS boys) . I was just wondering whether we will ever get a 'definitive' POS algo that works better than all the rest.. ?

Life is Code.
kelsey
Legendary

View Profile
May 19, 2015, 12:29:41 PM

yet ironically you responded to this rather then a genuine question i posed  Undecided

yes? no?

so a huge advantage to the exchanges.

we can interact and boast out importance but all along the way getting fees for doing so, (and with my tests i'm easily paying more fees then getting mined).

exchanges well they use the users coins to stake, get plenty of artificial network participation, yet their uses pay their fees, so exchanges have the edge and in any such system any player who has an edge has potential to own the system.

exchanges WIN WIN, users some WIN LOSE others LOSE LOSE .

this guy has 80m: http://nembex.nem.ninja/#/search/NA5PXB3KOIEQR3XLS6QHPNXZZ5LMLCJTGZJMBKTQ

this is poloniex's wallet  with 104m: http://nembex.nem.ninja/#/search/NBZMQO7ZPBYNBDUR7F75MAKA2S3DHDCIFG775N3D

polo(who has 104m) importance: 71%oo

guy with 80m XEM's importance: 84%oo ->    >20% less coins. nearly 20% higher importance.

in a proof of stake system, poloniex would have the higher stake and thus control and reward in the network. in proof of importance, that is not the case.

User: WIN
Exchange: LOSE

WIN for Proof of importance.

one piece anecdotal evidence is next to ZERO proof against the exploit possible by exchanges.

just saying one particular exchange at this point in time isn't fully exploiting its potential position doesn't say at all that exchanges can't exploit this, and sooner or later they will.

(and even in this case pol has any outstanding level of importance considering its its users coins its using to obtain such a level.)
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: