Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 02:12:12 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: buying bitcoins with dwolla  (Read 3682 times)
jcdenton420 (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 06, 2012, 02:14:53 PM

SO apparently after going through all the BS of getting my dwolla account verified it turns out I have to wait 30 days to buy from any of the major bitcoin exchanges using dwolla. Are there any trustworthy sites that accepts dwolla without the 30 day waiting period. I was so pissed when btc dropped below $10 and I was unable to buy due to these draconian restrictions

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
chriswilmer
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
September 06, 2012, 04:55:18 PM

I use Dwolla & Mt. Gox. I had to get verified on both, but now it works very smoothly. I guess that's the price to pay to be in compliance with governments and banks.
stevegee58
Legendary

Activity: 916
Merit: 1003

View Profile
September 06, 2012, 04:57:15 PM

Or you can simply ask for a Paypal to BTC exchange from one of the trusted members of this board.

You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike.
BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

BCJ

View Profile
September 06, 2012, 05:06:29 PM

FYI, I've been told by other newbees that DWOLLA does not allow them to send money to ANYONE for 30 days not just the exchanges.  If you have a verified paypal account PM me and I'll see if I can help you out.

Thanks.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
September 06, 2012, 10:13:52 PM

FYI, I've been told by other newbees that DWOLLA does not allow them to send money to ANYONE for 30 days not just the exchanges.  If you have a verified paypal account PM me and I'll see if I can help you out.

Not really "ANYONE" but all those flagged as being "high risk".  Dwolla probably determines that an individual who transfers to or from an exchange also is a high risk, thus that limits the options for the new Dwolla accountholder that is still in the 30-day probationary period.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

BCJ

View Profile
September 06, 2012, 10:18:27 PM

Do you have documentation on that Stephen?  Someone said the same thing about paypal and when I checked with Paypal I was informed that the issue was not with the receiver's account (mine) but the senders account had no balance.

I've not check with dwolla yet but my experiences is that users in the 30 day "probation" period can not send to anyone.  Any Dwolla users still in the 30 day period able to send Dwollars to ANYONE?  Would be curious to hear from you.
dextryn

Activity: 198
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 06, 2012, 11:19:51 PM

You can always check out #bitcoin-otc if you want to get some bitcoins.  You'll end up paying a percentage for the conversion, but it's pretty instant.

As far as paypal goes, it's not the most trusted way of getting bitcoins as most people don't trust it.  It is very easy to reverse a transaction which has left a bad taste in other people's mouths.  I've found that buying a moneypak at walgreens/cvs/walmart and using those to trade with people on bitcoin-otc is the easiest way to go. 
Brian Puccio

Activity: 13

View Profile WWW
September 07, 2012, 04:11:03 AM

I ran into the same 30 day wait as you. I'm at day 25 and then I'll be able to move money around freely. Hoping I can nab some arbitrage opportunities since it's a small, slow market.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

View Profile
September 07, 2012, 08:07:30 AM

I've not check with dwolla yet but my experiences is that users in the 30 day "probation" period can not send to anyone.

I don't know their exact situations but I do know that in the past weeks a new user that could not send to Mt. Gox was able to send to another Dwolla user.  I didn't get the details, perhaps only certain combinations work.

I was just going to be the guinea pig and do a trial, but my Dwolla account required me to verify my ID, so I submitted it and it is now getting reviewed.  But when that completes, I'll accept a $1 transfer (which I'll then return) just to test if a new user (within the 30 day) can send to me (hopefully not a "high risk" account.)

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

watcher14

Activity: 1

View Profile
September 07, 2012, 01:21:56 PM

sigh...you are right on the money...

I have been trying for days to get this done and it is getting annoying as all H3ll...

Register this account on mgx (done), verify wait days, register this account on dwolla verify wait days (done).  Setup wire transfer, now wait 3-5 more days...

I just simply needed 30 bitcoins to make a purchase and wanted to do so in a timely fashion, not wait 15 days for verification and transfer, then another 15 days (30 total) from dwolla to buy the coins..

Here is what they sent me...
Additional requirements for sending to specific merchants

Last Updated: Apr 16, 2012 10:19AM CDT

A small minority of our merchants, along with Dwolla, require you to meet and maintain certain criteria in order to send funds to their account. This includes:

1. Establishing a 30 day transaction history. This means that you have to have at least one successful bank-funded deposit into your Dwolla account that is older than 30 days before sending funds to this merchant. This deposit does not need to stay in your Dwolla account for the entire 30 days, you can withdraw it back to a bank account or transfer it to another user within that time period.
2. Connect a social network to your Dwolla account. You can connect a social network to your Dwolla account by going to ‘Account Settings,’ and choosing ‘Social Networks.’ You do not need to have a social network attached to send and receive funds from all Dwolla users, just when you are sending to this merchant who requires that you have established a social network connection.
3. Get verified by providing and verifying your social security number.
4. Turn on the Hub Page on your Dwolla account. You can do this under ‘Enable/Disable Features’ and clicking enable next to the Hub Page option.

If anyone can help me out with a bitcoin purchase I would appreciate it.  I have a verified paypal account, can wire (send a pic of license lol) etc and am willing to pay a little extra just to get rid of this headache.

Stephen Gornick
Legendary

View Profile
September 08, 2012, 05:42:10 AM

If anyone can help me out with a bitcoin purchase I would appreciate it.  

While I'm not interested in a trade, I am curious to know if everyone who ever touched an exchange is guilty by association (i.e., also requires the counterparty to have passed the 30-day probation) or if those without much exchange activity can receive funds from accounts still on probation.

You can try sending to me.  If it barks about 30 day, then I'ld be surprised because I don't use Dwolla often and for smaller amounts.

- https://www.dwolla.com/hub/812-588-3659?amount=0.01

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

BCJ

View Profile
September 08, 2012, 06:47:05 PM

has any under 30 day Dwolla newbee tried this yet?  I've very curious about this too.

Thanks.
BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

BCJ

View Profile
September 08, 2012, 07:12:58 PM

So I just asked one of the Dwolla Newbees who was prevented from sending to me for 30 days  to send Stephen a buck (minimum payment) and it evidently went through.  (Stephen , I paid him back for his trouble!).  So I guess it is quilt by association.  hmmmmmm......
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

View Profile
September 08, 2012, 07:48:06 PM

to send Stephen a buck (minimum payment) and it evidently went through.  

Well, I never knew there was a minimum.  

- https://getsatisfaction.com/dwolla/topics/using_dwolla_to_sell_digital_goods#reply_8333823

And I did get two payments, each of $1.

(Stephen , I paid him back for his trouble!).

So one of these I should return to you then?  If so, PM me your Dwolla a/c number.  Once I know that then I'll know which one I can send a return (refund) payment to and which one would now get sent to you.

So I guess it is quilt by association.

There also could be another factor I just realized, my account with Dwolla is a business account, and I'm verified.  

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █