Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 11:03:20 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Romney and bitcoins  (Read 1731 times)
the founder (OP)

Activity: 448
Merit: 251

Bitcoin

View Profile WWW
September 06, 2012, 02:52:23 PM

I find the whole thing craptastic.

It's not that someone is finally forcing Romney to release his tax returns (it's something he should have done a year ago) ... but demanding payment in bitcoins makes everyone look like a bunch of shady shisters....     look it's how you guys look at it... 

Bitcoin RSS App / Bitcoin Android App / Bitcoin Webapp http://www.ounce.me  Say thank you here:  1HByHZQ44LUCxxpnqtXDuJVmrSdrGK6Q2f
FlipPro
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1015

View Profile
September 06, 2012, 03:21:03 PM

It's not that someone is finally forcing Romney to release his tax returns (it's something he should have done a year ago) ... but demanding payment in bitcoins makes everyone look like a bunch of shady shisters....     look it's how you guys look at it...  

Romney is a borderline criminal, just like the clowns asking him for the BTC.
the founder (OP)

Bitcoin

View Profile WWW
September 06, 2012, 03:23:16 PM

oh I agree 10000000%  ...  but I don't believe extortion is the right way to go about it...  the tard should have released them on his own without having someone hack in there to get them.

Bitcoin RSS App / Bitcoin Android App / Bitcoin Webapp http://www.ounce.me  Say thank you here:  1HByHZQ44LUCxxpnqtXDuJVmrSdrGK6Q2f
the founder (OP)

Bitcoin

View Profile WWW
September 06, 2012, 03:26:11 PM

again I agree with you...  I just don't think that extortion is the right way to do it.

molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
September 06, 2012, 04:43:51 PM

meanwhile Romney calls his buddies trying to find out which central bank issues these damn bitcoins.

I first figured it's impossible for him to pay because it'd probably be politically very harmful. However: he can deny it was him who payed up, right?

I doubt he'll do it and I'm guessing it's not fake.

*whips out popcorn*

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
istar

Activity: 523
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 06, 2012, 05:03:56 PM

meanwhile Romney calls his buddies trying to find out which central bank issues these damn bitcoins.

I first figured it's impossible for him to pay because it'd probably be politically very harmful. However: he can deny it was him who payed up, right?

I doubt he'll do it and I'm guessing it's not fake.

*whips out popcorn*

It would just look silly if he payed and denied it.
Think about this.
What if they said. a million dollars to be paid in diamonds.
Would people think diamonds are bad?

Bitcoins - Because we should not pay to use our money
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
September 06, 2012, 05:31:14 PM

Yeah, I wish they had demanded dollars, then everyone would be like "oh, I'm so butthurt that he demanded dollars because now everyone is going to hate dollars oh oh oh no".

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
September 06, 2012, 06:13:11 PM

Yeah, I wish they had demanded dollars, then everyone would be like "oh, I'm so butthurt that he demanded dollars because now everyone is going to hate dollars oh oh oh no".
lol

what's annoying me is the news isn't talking about bitcoin when they cover this story.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJIhNLdbBww
http://youtu.be/3_yQ_Um5ZH8?t=1m25s

sunnankar
Legendary

Activity: 1031
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
September 06, 2012, 06:17:19 PM

oh I agree 10000000%  ...  but I don't believe extortion is the right way to go about it...  the tard should have released them on his own without having someone hack in there to get them.

Jon Matonis wrote an article about why blackmail is victimless and therefore not morally wrong and could be socially useful.

But I think you should look at this little PR stunt in a different light. bitcoins are the blood, like USD, EUR, YEN, etc., Bitcoin is the veins, like Visa, Paypal, Mastercard, Cirrus, etc. and the Bitcoin economy is the muscular system. This little PR stunt has started discussions among all kinds of people about Bitcoin or, in other words, the now open Pandora's box.

Plus, any publicity is, for the most part, good publicity. People will Google "bitcoin" watch the What Is Bitcoin? video and be on their way to joining the Bitcoin economy.

How much would this publicity cost for Visa or Mastercard? How much did this publicity cost? 2 USB drives, postage, two sheets of paper and some ink from a magic marker. How many resources are being spent 'investigating', tracking down the leak, etc.?

So for $25 there are hundreds of thousands of people learning about Bitcoin (it was on Yahoo's homepage, etc.) and probably millions of dollars being spent by Romney, SS, PWC, etc.

Talk about a force multiplier!

istar

Activity: 523

View Profile
September 06, 2012, 06:20:12 PM

If he get elected now, the first thing he will do will be to try and shut down that Bitcoin thing.

Bitcoins - Because we should not pay to use our money
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
September 06, 2012, 06:22:30 PM

If he get elected now, the first thing he will do will be to try and shut down that Bitcoin thing.

That'd be entertaining.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
dissipate

Activity: 288
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 06, 2012, 06:26:47 PM

Jon Matonis wrote an article about why blackmail is victimless and therefore not morally wrong and could be socially useful.

But I think you should look at this little PR stunt in a different light. bitcoins are the blood, like USD, EUR, YEN, etc., Bitcoin is the veins, like Visa, Paypal, Mastercard, Cirrus, etc. and the Bitcoin economy is the muscular system. This little PR stunt has started discussions among all kinds of people about Bitcoin or, in other words, the now open Pandora's box.

Plus, any publicity is, for the most part, good publicity. People will Google "bitcoin" watch the What Is Bitcoin? video and be on their way to joining the Bitcoin economy.

How much would this publicity cost for Visa or Mastercard? How much did this publicity cost? 2 USB drives, postage, two sheets of paper and some ink from a magic marker. How many resources are being spent 'investigating', tracking down the leak, etc.?

So for $25 there are hundreds of thousands of people learning about Bitcoin (it was on Yahoo's homepage, etc.) and probably millions of dollars being spent by Romney, SS, PWC, etc.

Talk about a force multiplier!

Sounds like Bitcoin is the ultimate tool for asymmetric warfare. For every $1 in resources you spend, your enemy must spend hundreds, thousands or millions.
HorseRider
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 07, 2012, 10:23:54 AM

we should pray that the hacker really has something and this is a serious threat. I don't wanna the bitcoin looks like a joke.

16SvwJtQET7mkHZFFbJpgPaDA1Pxtmbm5P
benjamindees
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 07, 2012, 10:54:06 AM

Personally I think it's brilliant.  And it ties in with Bitcoin perfectly.

Mitt Romney believes that, were he to become President, he should have access to my financial information, and should be able to extort money from me.

Why should I be concerned if someone forces him to publish his financial information, or extorts money from him?  Fuck him.

This is a common-law country.  Those who live by the sword, die by the arrow.

Civil Liberty Through Complex Mathematics
BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1128

View Profile WWW
September 07, 2012, 12:01:29 PM

It's not that someone is finally forcing Romney to release his tax returns (it's something he should have done a year ago) ... but demanding payment in bitcoins makes everyone look like a bunch of shady shisters....     look it's how you guys look at it... 

What about all the blackmail/ransom demands in cash? Make people who use cash look like shysters?

1Kz25jm6pjNTaz8bFezEYUeBYfEtpjuKRG | PGP: B5797C4F

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686

Wat

View Profile WWW
September 07, 2012, 12:48:27 PM

Pastebin is the new wikileaks.

Imagine if someone got info about where banks were accepting money from and blackmailed them into buying bitcoins not to release it.

This has all sorts of possibilities.

bg002h
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1464
Merit: 1047

I outlived my lifetime membership:)

View Profile WWW
September 07, 2012, 01:18:40 PM

Isn't the whole Romney extortion thing a joke? I mean, it's not real, correct?

Hardforks aren't that hard. It’s getting others to use them that's hard.
1GCDzqmX2Cf513E8NeThNHxiYEivU1Chhe
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
September 07, 2012, 01:55:01 PM

Isn't the whole Romney extortion thing a joke? I mean, it's not real, correct?

how would we know? Because PriceWaterhouseCoopers cannot find evidence of a break-in? I'm not saying it's real, I'm just saying: I don't know.

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: