Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 05:08:37 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Sent bitcoins, closed buggy client, coins never sent / unconfirmed  (Read 1009 times)
JohnnyCashout (OP)

Activity: 35
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 06, 2012, 05:18:26 PM

So I had some BTC on an older Windows computer with an old version of the BTC client, 0.3.x.    It was crashing on me after a minute or so of being open, and I kept restarting it and finally sent all my BTC to an address of a wallet I had stored on another computer

I closed the bitcoin client that was buggy/crashing on me right after sending the coins.   I backed up the wallet.dat and moved it to a computer with a working (latest) version of the bitcoin client.  It was fully synced up with the blockchain before overwriting the wallet.dat.  When I launched the client it showed my transaction in the tx list but it was 0/confirmed, and still is (this is about a week after sending the coins).  The balance is 0 so the coins are out there 'in limbo' and blockchain.info doensn't have any record of the transaction and they never arrived at the destination

what do?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
JohnnyCashout (OP)

Activity: 35
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 06, 2012, 05:19:46 PM

nevermind, it looks like it is now starting to get confirmations.   Smiley
so I guess you shouldn't send BTC and immediately close the client or it might never start getting confirmed..?
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
September 06, 2012, 09:55:23 PM

nevermind, it looks like it is now starting to get confirmations.   Smiley
so I guess you shouldn't send BTC and immediately close the client or it might never start getting confirmed..?

The client will notice that it isn't getting confirmed and will eventually (e.g., in a half hour or less) rebroadcast  the transaction.   It will keep doing this (checking and sending about every half hour) until it does eventually get confirmed.    Obviously, if the program isn't running it can't perform this check.  But you'll never lose this transaction ...  with the exception where from another copy of the same wallet you might end up doing a double spend of the coins that this poorly transmitted transaction was also using.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █