Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 05:09:19 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why do people play satoshidice?  (Read 2610 times)
organofcorti
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1007

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
September 07, 2012, 01:08:59 PM

Odds do not reflect "possibility".  While the probability is 98%, the possibility is incalculable.

Untrue. The variance is calculable.

Bitcoin network and pool analysis 12QxPHEuxDrs7mCyGSx1iVSozTwtquDB3r
follow @oocBlog for new post notifications

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
muyuu
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 07, 2012, 01:12:50 PM

Sorry, I don't get the "money laundering" concept applied to bitcoin.
It has negative connotations as in non-bitcoin contexts? Because
I don't care sending from a path and receiving from another. I was
thinking that's the usual way.

I don't give it any nuances but the fact is that some exchanges like MtGox (single biggest exchange) can just seize your shit indefinitely if they think you obtained the coins illegally, so it does make a difference in practice.

GPG ID: 7294199D - OTC ID: muyuu (470F97EB7294199D)
forum tea fund BTC 1Epv7KHbNjYzqYVhTCgXWYhGSkv7BuKGEU DOGE DF1eTJ2vsxjHpmmbKu9jpqsrg5uyQLWksM CAP F1MzvmmHwP2UhFq82NQT7qDU9NQ8oQbtkQ
DonShrents

Activity: 96
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 07, 2012, 01:24:43 PM

I don't give it any nuances but the fact is that some exchanges like MtGox (single biggest exchange) can just seize your shit indefinitely if they think you obtained the coins illegally, so it does make a difference in practice.

I think that 3would be a very slippery slope, if Mt.Gox were to officially make themselves the tainted bitcoin police. A few users might feel a certain bit of retribution, knowing that tainted coins were apprehanded, but most others would simply lose faith in Mt.Gox and become unsure of their services and not want to risk transfering funds to Mt.Gox, in fear of losing all or a portion of their Bitcoins.

I can't see it working out in anyone's favor if there were to be a tainted coin police force on the network. It essentially goes against everything that bitcoin intends or intended to be and that is a completely decentralized form of online currency. Police with the ability to size coins = not decentralized.

~DonShrents
muyuu
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
September 07, 2012, 01:36:31 PM

I think that 3would be a very slippery slope, if Mt.Gox were to officially make themselves the tainted bitcoin police. A few users might feel a certain bit of retribution, knowing that tainted coins were apprehanded, but most others would simply lose faith in Mt.Gox and become unsure of their services and not want to risk transfering funds to Mt.Gox, in fear of losing all or a portion of their Bitcoins.

I can't see it working out in anyone's favor if there were to be a tainted coin police force on the network. It essentially goes against everything that bitcoin intends or intended to be and that is a completely decentralized form of online currency. Police with the ability to size coins = not decentralized.

~DonShrents

I don't know why are you talking in conditional tense, this has already happened several times and it continues to happen. In their ToS they're fully covered about it.

forum tea fund BTC 1Epv7KHbNjYzqYVhTCgXWYhGSkv7BuKGEU DOGE DF1eTJ2vsxjHpmmbKu9jpqsrg5uyQLWksM CAP F1MzvmmHwP2UhFq82NQT7qDU9NQ8oQbtkQ
DonShrents

View Profile
September 07, 2012, 01:42:40 PM

I don't know why are you talking in conditional tense, this has already happened several times and it continues to happen. In their ToS they're fully covered about it.

I wasn't aware of coins actually being subject to this yet. My mistake.
Has there been a situation recently where a user at Mt.Gox has completely lost all of the tainted coins ? or were the coins simply frozen (or account frozen) for an investigation ?
If frozen, were coins ever returned back to rightful owners ? or returned to anyone ?

~DonShrents
muyuu
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
September 07, 2012, 02:10:39 PM

I wasn't aware of coins actually being subject to this yet. My mistake.
Has there been a situation recently where a user at Mt.Gox has completely lost all of the tainted coins ? or were the coins simply frozen (or account frozen) for an investigation ?
If frozen, were coins ever returned back to rightful owners ? or returned to anyone ?

~DonShrents

A few threads about it (there are many many more):

Mt Gox thinks it's the Fed. Freezes acc based on "tainted" coins.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=73385.0
(this only stopped because Bitcoinica decided not to pursue the case)

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=3712.0

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=105638.0

General discussion (about using stolen coins):
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=82592.0;all

DonShrents

View Profile
September 07, 2012, 02:14:45 PM

As the threads are extremely long, can you tell me WHO ended up getting the frozen coins in the end ? (if anyone) or did the exchange simply keep them all ?

~DonShrents
muyuu
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
September 07, 2012, 02:22:24 PM

As the threads are extremely long, can you tell me WHO ended up getting the frozen coins in the end ? (if anyone) or did the exchange simply keep them all ?

~DonShrents

There have been many cases, and I guess many more haven't been made public here. At least a couple accounts lost their funds to MtGox because of failing to provide information. Same with old Bitcoinica.

DonShrents

View Profile
September 07, 2012, 03:01:07 PM

Well, something tells me that there should be a sticky somewhere that lists "High Risk" Exchanges, in terms of getting coins back, if the Taint Police deem that a user has too much taint in their deposit.
This is very sad and doesn't do a whole lot for faith in the exchange, especially since there is no authority to help a user fight a decision such as this.

It seems that whomever holds the coins at any given time, is the one with the power. Not a good sign for the future of Bitcoin.

~DonShrents
munofar

Activity: 36
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
September 07, 2012, 03:45:34 PM

I agree. That sticky post would be valuable to unexperienced users like me who has to dig deep to find info.
munofar

Activity: 36

View Profile WWW
September 07, 2012, 03:53:52 PM

The best thing about SatoshiDice is the fact that it brings gambling to everyone. All one needs to be capable of is knowing how to send Bitcoins and SatoshiDice takes care of the rest. No special applications required (standard wallet app only), no advanced knowledge of Bitcoin required (only the basic fundamentals) and most of all - It's fun.

~DonShrents

Also -= SatómBTCola =- is noob-friendly. Even the amount to participate is noob-friendly. It can be earned in a couple of days with faucets and by paid clicking.

Anyone can participate for just 10 mBTC!
terabit (OP)

Activity: 39

View Profile
September 07, 2012, 10:13:09 PM

Some people try to game the system, using martingale method etc. Other than that some people just love to gamble!

any write ups on this? Itwould be fun to read .
SmokinCigs

Activity: 14

View Profile
September 08, 2012, 07:18:43 AM

what else are you gonna do withbitcoins
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
September 08, 2012, 08:00:46 AM

Huh BTC laundering? As a newbie, I need an example please.

Because they are such a large site you can deposit coins and get back different coins than you sent them which means you have effectively "laundered them".

But I was told that such a single traceable coin doesn't exists! They're only values linked to transactions. You can't get different coins because you din't send coins. You can track transactions, not coins.

The transaction trail is you-->satoshi dice-->you and anyone knows it because they know all the satoshi dice addresses.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
dree12
Legendary

Merit: 1077

View Profile
September 08, 2012, 01:19:24 PM

Because they are such a large site you can deposit coins and get back different coins than you sent them which means you have effectively "laundered them".

But I was told that such a single traceable coin doesn't exists! They're only values linked to transactions. You can't get different coins because you din't send coins. You can track transactions, not coins.

The transaction trail is you-->satoshi dice-->you and anyone knows it because they know all the satoshi dice addresses.
Exactly why it cannot be used for money laundering! It is equivalent to leaving the coins in the address, money-laundering wise, and equivalent to losing ~2% of your coins, expected value wise.
aurora

Activity: 158

View Profile WWW
September 08, 2012, 03:12:58 PM

lost some coins. very addictive. I'm off of it now

Dym.game
Double your money. Use Martingale/anti strategies. 1 to 1 odds
FreeMoney
Legendary

Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
September 08, 2012, 04:46:37 PM

Exactly why it cannot be used for money laundering! It is equivalent to leaving the coins in the address, money-laundering wise, and equivalent to losing ~2% of your coins, expected value wise.

Yeah, that's what I'm saying.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: