Merit: 501

View Profile
May 16, 2015, 08:42:29 AM

Wondering what sha256 coin is worth mining right now.   Huh

tspacepilot
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1078

I may write code in exchange for bitcoins.

View Profile
June 17, 2015, 03:38:47 PM

Gonna bump this because I was wondering the same thing.  I don't think it's worth it to mine bitcoin on my sha256 miner at this moment, so what's a coin I can mine which I can easily convert into bitcoin on poloniex?
Lorenzo

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 17, 2015, 04:27:15 PM

Gonna bump this because I was wondering the same thing.  I don't think it's worth it to mine bitcoin on my sha256 miner at this moment, so what's a coin I can mine which I can easily convert into bitcoin on poloniex?

You could always try CoinWarz to find the most profitable coin for your hardware:

http://www.coinwarz.com/

Right now, it seems that Digitalcoin Mazacoin Peercoin might be the most profitable SHA-256 coin to mine. Keep in mind however that the most profitable coin can change at any given moment since mining difficulties and exchange rates are constantly changing. A coin that might be the most profitable to mine right now could drop to 10th place or so in a matter of minutes.

Personally, I'd just stick with Bitcoin. If you mine Bitcoin then you can also choose to merge mine with Namecoin (or Ixcoin, or I0coin, or Devcoin...) if you want and if your pool supports it. Then you can convert these into BTC. Most exchanges support NMC. The extra amount you'd get compared with mining BTC only is pretty small but hey, it's free.

If you want to go through the speculative route then you could try finding a coin that is still fairly new and hasn't been listed on an exchange yet. Mining would be the only way to obtain these coins and you'd be hoping for their value to shoot up once they hit an exchange. Those who mined Dogecoin back when it was new made enormous profits, for example. New SHA-256 coins are rare these days but there are still a few new ones being launched every month. According to Altcoincalendar.info, new SHA-256 coins launched this month include the likes of Coronaz, Cryptotarget, and GoodLuckCoin. Jetcoin is another SHA-256 coin that will be launched later this month.
tspacepilot
Legendary

View Profile
June 17, 2015, 08:32:22 PM

Thanks Lorenzo, I didn't know about coinwarz.  Also, I hadn't thought about merge mining at all.  I will check that out.  Cheers!
photon_coin

Activity: 310
Merit: 256

Photon --- The First Child Of Blake Coin --Merged

View Profile WWW
June 28, 2015, 02:53:00 AM

bitcoin unless you want to chance selling your sha 2 hash at nicehash

Katerich

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 28, 2015, 03:08:45 AM

if you use SHA256 to start mining bitcoin should you think about it first ... it would be better if you mine altcoin. You can find a great altcoin in here  https://www.cryptonator.com/winners-losers andion on bitcointalk you can looks specification on bitcointalk site  Wink
djm34
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1050

View Profile WWW
June 28, 2015, 11:07:45 AM

220euros... for one of them at least

djm34 facebook page
BTC: 1NENYmxwZGHsKFmyjTc5WferTn5VTFb7Ze
Pledge for neoscrypt ccminer to that address: 16UoC4DmTz2pvhFvcfTQrzkPTrXkWijzXw
tspacepilot
Legendary

View Profile
June 28, 2015, 08:44:21 PM

bitcoin unless you want to chance selling your sha 2 hash at nicehash

220euros... for one of them at least

Obviously bitcoin is the only sha256 coin that matters.  FWIW, I sorta think it's the only coin that matters period. But the deal for me is that I have an old antminer u2 and mining bitcoin on it returns about 0.01BTC every 3 months.  Not really that exciting.

Sure, I could be wasting my electricity if I choose a stoopid altcoin that goes nowhere, but since altcoins are a circus, I guess I was just thinking there's always the gamble that I mine a sha256 altcoin that skyrockets in price for a week or two and I trade it for more btc than I would have made all year by mining bitcoin directly.  It's a kind of gamble, sure.   But with just a single usb miner to play with it's a low-stakes gamble.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: