Bitcoin Forum
June 14, 2024, 10:36:52 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Varoufakis was advisor of a Bitcoin Startup  (Read 709 times)
chek2fire (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1142

Intergalactic Conciliator

View Profile
May 17, 2015, 10:59:58 AM

Today a fron page of a yellow newspaper here in Greece claims that Varoufakis is working until today as an advisor of the bitcoin startup Tembusu

http://www.tembusu.sg/

Yannis Varoufakis in an interview says that he work like an advisor in this startup in 2013 because he believe that the digital currencies is the future of the world

Google Translate
"A bit of seriousness does not hurt. I never recommend "employer" My, how even the small, newly built company Tembusu, as a consultant of our government. Anyone who visited my website will find several articles, radio interviews, and video from my speeches on electronic payment systems. This research field with which I deal (in collaboration with universities and technology companies abroad), before fall in the arena of politics.

This company got in touch with me in 2013 asking my advice as the founders of (young, talented technologists room) read (randomly as I was told) on my articles were substantially. Because particularly interested in this field, as it will shape the future of international trade, drafted and promoted, from the US, where I worked, a thorough advisory report. In this proposers and outlined a comprehensive framework of electronic payment systems - which indeed I called TRUST.

Delivery of that report, in December 2014, offered no advice nor I had with them no professional cooperation. As for the mention of my name as their counselor so far, I guess that reflects the value they give to me that contribution. This happens with other organizations (eg the magazine Science & Society, New York) that keep my name on the list of consultants or honorary members of their Boards. As for the malignant suspicion that suggested intake of Tembusu by the government, please withdrawn directly from the syntax of "Proto Thema". "

I think is the first time that bitcoin will get so much attention in Greece and this front page is a good opportunity for Greeks to search and learn about bitcoin. From the other hand the newspapper Πρωτo Θέμα is a garbage for news and reliability and i dont think even understand what they write there Tongue

http://www.bitcoin-gr.org
4411 804B 0181 F444 ADBD 01D4 0664 00E4 37E7 228E
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1011

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
May 17, 2015, 11:03:26 AM
Last edit: May 17, 2015, 11:21:29 AM by LiteCoinGuy

nice find. thanks for sharing  Smiley

-------

https://www.techinasia.com/singapores-tembusu-systems-raises-887k-dissociates-bitcoin/

unamis76
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1009

View Profile
May 17, 2015, 12:11:24 PM

I don't really find this relevant. He can advise whoever he wants. His job in Greece's politic life is separate from that... Let's not get things switched up, Bitcoin won't pay Greece's debt Cheesy

Nevertheless, pretty interesting to know such high figures in Europe's politic scene is supportive of Bitcoin. Makes it at least seem less corrupt
Kyraishi

Activity: 952
Merit: 513

View Profile
May 17, 2015, 12:16:34 PM

I don't really find this relevant. He can advise whoever he wants. His job in Greece's politic life is separate from that... Let's not get things switched up, Bitcoin won't pay Greece's debt Cheesy

Nevertheless, pretty interesting to know such high figures in Europe's politic scene is supportive of Bitcoin. Makes it at least seem less corrupt

Actually, on the contrary....
Who has trust in the government in our days?
Almost nobody because we know they are criminals.
And if criminals support Bitcoin, what does that mean?

Meuh6879
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1011

View Profile
May 17, 2015, 12:17:30 PM

you can translate in "if you have cash ... convert to bitcoin now before too late".
BillyBobZorton
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1028

View Profile
May 17, 2015, 01:59:10 PM

This is great news, Varoufakis is an huge figure out there nowadays. He was known in Greece before, but now he is global, everyone that has paid mild attention to news for the past months knows who he is. I can't wait until Bitcoin is too relevant for it to keep being ignored in all those TV programs where the hosts bring politics and journalists to discuss.
chek2fire (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1142

Intergalactic Conciliator

View Profile
May 19, 2015, 11:52:28 PM

There was a big discussion in Greece about Varoufakis and his relationships with bitcoin. One yellow Greek newspaper claims that Varoufakis was "guru" of Bitcoin. In Greece to talk about Bitcoin is like to talk about an alien technology Tongue/
Yesterday night we have and an open interview of Varoufakis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhzqejqqJ4s

in the question about bitcoin that was the answer of Varoufakis

Host: Mr minister, are you a consultant for a company that promotes bitcoin?
Varoufakis: laughs
Host: Why are you laughing.
Varoufakis: I’m glad you are asking
Host: Today on the newspaper, they say there was a picture of you on this company’s website, where there is also a video of you taking a positive stance for bitcoin.
V: I didn’t see the video
H: I saw the video
V: One of my academic interests before getting into politics, was electronic money. It interests me very much. I find it very fascinating… Look internationally I have become known as a critic of bitcoin. If you ask the bitcoin community, they will say that Varoufakis is their critic. They write entire articles against me.
H : Did you have anything to do with that company?
V: Yes of course, I will explain... I’m very proud it of it actually.
H: Does this relationship still continue now?
V: Of course not. Look what happened… I was very interested in the algorithms that this cryptographic electronic currency is based on…I wanted to study it more… from an academical aspect…I was even in a debate where I was the opponent of bitcoin.
This company is based in Singapore... It’s a startup, made up of 3-4 young technologists. Very clever and interesting people. They came to me having read my criticism for bitcoin… Along with my criticism however I also state that the algorithm that bitcoin is based on is extremely interesting, and can most probably be used for something else other than currency. I have characterized bitcoin as an amazing solution that is looking to solve a problem. The problem is not the currency, it’s something else. So these guys came in touch with me, and asked me “so what could that problem be”…. What I convinced them to do is abandon bitcoin (*as a currency), and instead use the algorithms and the technology for something else. I did work with them… doing some consultancy and giving them a report to create a different platform that I called ‘Trust’… This collaboration ended last December. On their website, they kept my picture and my name, just as other websites do… such as the university of Stockholm, which could appear that I’m still there.. It sometimes takes a while for them to update these pages. I no longer have any business relation with them.

thx 4Tanya from Reditt for the translate

http://www.bitcoin-gr.org
4411 804B 0181 F444 ADBD 01D4 0664 00E4 37E7 228E
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3682
Merit: 1217

View Profile
May 20, 2015, 11:50:30 AM

Anyone who is posting here in favor of Yanis Varoufakis should read his blog article "Bitcoin and the dangerous fantasy of 'apolitical' money". He repeatedly tries to argue that Bitcoin is just a bubble and it will cause people losing their hard earned savings.

http://yanisvaroufakis.eu/2013/04/22/bitcoin-and-the-dangerous-fantasy-of-apolitical-money/

He seems to be just another career politician, who is sponsored by the bankers. All he do is to spread lies about Bitcoin.  Angry
Daniel91
Legendary

Activity: 3374
Merit: 1824

View Profile
May 20, 2015, 01:46:31 PM

Anyone who is posting here in favor of Yanis Varoufakis should read his blog article "Bitcoin and the dangerous fantasy of 'apolitical' money". He repeatedly tries to argue that Bitcoin is just a bubble and it will cause people losing their hard earned savings.

http://yanisvaroufakis.eu/2013/04/22/bitcoin-and-the-dangerous-fantasy-of-apolitical-money/

He seems to be just another career politician, who is sponsored by the bankers. All he do is to spread lies about Bitcoin.  Angry

Thank you for this info.
In fact, I'm following news about Greek and their financial crisis already for some time and it seems that current Greek government is worst in last decade.
It seems that Varoufakis is one of the worst Greek finance ministers in history who has managed to turn the entire EU against him, which is not so little achievement in such a short period of time.
It seems that the only policy of the Greek government is to stall the EU and avoid fulfilling any financial obligations and blackmail European partners, what is a very dangerous policy.
This government has already proved unprofessional and frivolous, so I will not give too much attention to Varoufakis's statements about Bitcoin.
He is not serious politician.

.freebitcoin.       ▄▄▄█▀▀██▄▄▄
   ▄▄██████▄▄█  █▀▀█▄▄
  ███  █▀▀███████▄▄██▀
   ▀▀▀██▄▄█  ████▀▀  ▄██
▄███▄▄  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▄▄██████
██▀▀█████▄     ▄██▀█ ▀▀██
██▄▄███▀▀██   ███▀ ▄▄  ▀█
███████▄▄███ ███▄▄ ▀▀▄  █
██▀▀████████ █████  █▀▄██
 █▄▄████████ █████   ███
  ▀████  ███ ████▄▄███▀
     ▀▀████   ████▀▀
BITCOIN
DICE
EVENT
BETTING
WIN A LAMBO !

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄▄▄▄██████████████████████████████████▄▄▄▄
▀██████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄
▄▄████▄█████▄████████████████████████████▄█████▄████▄▄
▀████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████▀▀▀██████████▄
  ▀▀▀████▄▄▄███████████████████████████████▄▄▄██████████
       ▀█████▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
.PLAY NOW.
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3682
Merit: 1217

View Profile
May 20, 2015, 02:24:28 PM

Thank you for this info.
In fact, I'm following news about Greek and their financial crisis already for some time and it seems that current Greek government is worst in last decade.
It seems that Varoufakis is one of the worst Greek finance ministers in history who has managed to turn the entire EU against him, which is not so little achievement in such a short period of time.
It seems that the only policy of the Greek government is to stall the EU and avoid fulfilling any financial obligations and blackmail European partners, what is a very dangerous policy.
This government has already proved unprofessional and frivolous, so I will not give too much attention to Varoufakis's statements about Bitcoin.
He is not serious politician.

I have a mixed opinion about the current Greek government. They are relatively new, and I want to give them more time before I rate them. So far, the SYRIZA government has stayed out of an all out confrontation with the troika. They are paying back their debt on time, although a lot of noise about it is being made.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: