Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 08:59:55 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Use some BTC for good- Support new social enterprise project  (Read 775 times)
Baitty (OP)

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

Currently held as collateral by monbux

View Profile
May 17, 2015, 05:03:56 PM
Last edit: June 05, 2015, 01:04:44 PM by Baitty

Hey guys,

I would like to make you aware of a crowdfunding project I have been helping out with, that is being run by a friend of mine and his partner on Indiegogo.

They are accepting Bitcoin and Dogecoin contributions (thanks to me  Wink) which they will then convert to GBP and add to campaign total. All "perks" will remain the same as when using standard fiat currency.

I will copy and paste a short summary of the concept below so you get an idea of what it is all about-

Summary

The concept is simple-

To give ex-offenders a platform to raise money for good, and in turn make them feel better about themselves and reduce the chance of them re-offending.

We want to create a robust and user-friendly crowdfunding platform that allows ex-offenders to set up projects to raise money for good. This could be a sponsored run or boxing match, a youth or community project, or even setting up their own charity or social enterprise. It is all down to individual creativity!

The ex-offenders will be in charge of organising, promoting and executing their projects giving them a real sense of responsibility  and satisfaction. We will simply provide the platform for them to do this.

We strongly believe that giving people this sense of responsibility and seeing the good they have achieved through their own projects will greatly reduce the chance of them re-offending.

Benefits for ex-offenders?

* Gives ex-offenders something positive to work on and focus on.

* Something interesting to put on their CVs  improving  employment prospects.

* Feelings of personal satisfaction.

* Proof that they can achieve a great deal if they do things the right way.

* An opportunity to give something back to society.

Benefits for society at large?

* Reduced levels of crime.

* Diverse good causes will benefit from money raised in the campaigns.

* Satisfaction in the knowledge that people really can change.

Anything you can contribute would be greatly appreciated guys Smiley If you can't afford to contribute you can still help by sharing on your social media channels and helping to spread the word.

Thanks for taking the time to read this post Smiley

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
RussianRaibow

Activity: 616

I AM A SCAMMER

View Profile WWW
May 17, 2015, 05:28:19 PM

Well... this is all in all a good initiative I must say Smiley

I AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMER
Baitty (OP)

View Profile
May 17, 2015, 05:40:30 PM

Well... this is all in all a good initiative I must say Smiley

Thanks Smiley I am glad you like the idea Smiley

boopy265420
Legendary

Activity: 1876
Merit: 1005

View Profile
May 17, 2015, 06:21:53 PM

This is good project and i will spread the word far away by using social media tools.This is the least thing I can do at the moment who knows may be this message reach to some right people who can really contribute well in this project. I will do full twitter and facebook support to your project.
Baitty (OP)

View Profile
May 17, 2015, 06:56:48 PM

This is good project and i will spread the word far away by using social media tools.This is the least thing I can do at the moment who knows may be this message reach to some right people who can really contribute well in this project. I will do full twitter and facebook support to your project.

That is brilliant! thank you Smiley your help is greatly appreciated Smiley

Jeremycoin
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1003

𝓗𝓞𝓓𝓛

View Profile
May 17, 2015, 09:28:12 PM

The idea is great "reform ex-offenders", I believe this project could be make the world be a better place Smiley

faucet used to be profitable
Baitty (OP)

View Profile
May 17, 2015, 09:58:09 PM

The idea is great "reform ex-offenders", I believe this project could be make the world be a better place Smiley

Thanks for the support Smiley

Kyraishi

Activity: 952
Merit: 513

View Profile
May 18, 2015, 06:15:09 AM

Hmm, I like the idea but I am a bit skeptical...
Is there some kind of criteria for offenders in order to "reform" them?
Or any offender can just join in?

S4VV4S

Activity: 1582
Merit: 502

View Profile
May 18, 2015, 06:23:51 AM

That is an excellent question.

The OP wants to raise money to help "reform" offenders a.k.a. criminals with the use of crypto.

Though it might sound like a good idea to some, I find it horrible and bad publicity for Bitcoin.
Bitcoin has enough connections with crime as it is.

You want to help the world and use crypto to do it then feed the hungry.
Give shelter to the homeless.

Not money to criminals.

What the fuck is wrong with you?

I am not saying they don't deserve a second chance, and that IS NOT what you are offering them.
If they want a second chance they have to work for it, and that literally means work for it.
And I am not saying that all offenders are the same.
But I think you get my point.

Also, why convert crypto to GBP?
Why not keep it in crypto so that all transactions are transparent?
NyeFe

Activity: 699

View Profile
May 18, 2015, 06:47:13 AM

The OP wants to raise money to help "reform" offenders a.k.a. criminals with the use of crypto.

Though it might sound like a good idea to some, I find it horrible and bad publicity for Bitcoin.

Not money to criminals.

I am not saying they don't deserve a second chance, and that IS NOT what you are offering them.
If they want a second chance they have to work for it, and that literally means work for it.

Half of of this text is simply outrageous. Bitcoin is a nondiscriminatory cryptocurrency, you simply can't select who deserves to use it and who doesn't. In any case, bitcoin can't be compared to fiat because it brings transparency and stability into the table. Yes, it's used by criminals, but isn't everything else? Unless you're suggesting fiat has a better track-record than Bitcoin, then I really don't understand your point.

MicroDApp.com—Smart Contract developers. Lets build a decentralized future!
S4VV4S

View Profile
May 18, 2015, 07:31:23 AM

Half of of this text is simply outrageous.

Why?
Do I not bring up valid questions?

Bitcoin is a nondiscriminatory cryptocurrency, you simply can't select who deserves to use it and who doesn't.

Never said they don't deserve it, I just said that they need to work for it.
Giving money to "ex-offenders" is not giving them a second chance.

In any case, bitcoin can't be compared to fiat because it brings transparency and stability into the table.

I am glad we agree.

Yes, it's used by criminals, but isn't everything else?

No, only things of value.

Unless you're suggesting fiat has a better track-record than Bitcoin, then I really don't understand your point.

That is exactly what I have tried to point out.
The OP wants us to donate Crypto for them to convert to fiat.

But if you still don't understand my point, it's OK, go back and re-read my posts a few times.
You might get my point.

Baitty (OP)

View Profile
May 18, 2015, 08:40:27 AM
Last edit: June 05, 2015, 01:07:43 PM by Baitty

Not money to criminals.

Hey,

Thanks for the post. You raise some valid points but I think you have totally misunderstood the concept. The money being raised on indiegogo is not for the ex-offenders themselves. The money being raised initially is to set up a crowdfunding site that will give ex-offenders a platform to raise money for all sorts of different charity projects. They will receive no personal financial gain whatsoever.

The idea is that by being involved in these sort of projects they will feel a sense of personal satisfaction which in turn will reduce the chances of them re-offending.

The idea is most definitely not to line their pockets, but instead for them to work selflessly for the good of others. And the only reason the crypto-currency will be converted into GBP is so that indiegogo gets to take their fee and does not remove the project for accepting crypto donations.

I hope I helped clear things up a bit...

WhatTheGox
Legendary

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 18, 2015, 08:43:47 AM

Crypto should be used in all ways good or bad just like any other money, not that that is even an issue.  Good on you for trying to do some good in the world.
Baitty (OP)

View Profile
May 18, 2015, 08:48:23 AM

Crypto should be used in all ways good or bad just like any other money, not that that is even an issue.  Good on you for trying to do some good in the world.

Thanks, I appreciate your comments Smiley

S4VV4S

View Profile
May 18, 2015, 08:55:36 AM

Hey,

Thanks for the post. You raise some valid points but I think you have totally misunderstood the concept. The money being raised on indiegogo is not for the ex-offenders themselves. The money being raised initially is to set up a crowdfunding site that will give ex-offenders a platform to raise money for all sorts of different charity projects. They will receive no personal financial gain whatsoever.

The idea is that by being involved in these sort of projects they will feel a sense of personal satisfaction which in turn will reduce the chances of them re-offending.

The idea is most definitely not to line their pockets, but instead for them to work selflessly for the good of others. And the only reason the crypto-currency will be converted into GBP is so that indiegogo gets to take their fee and does not remove the project for accepting crypto donations. Please check out the link for more details- http://igg.me/at/free4change

OK, so if I understand correctly, you will provide work in the form of community service to the ex-offenders. ??
If I get it right then it's not bad.
Will they volunteer for it or is it going to be an actual job for them?
Kakmakr
Legendary

Activity: 3402
Merit: 1944

This space is availlable for advertising

View Profile
May 18, 2015, 09:10:13 AM

Most people think, when you do the crime, you do the time and everything returns to normal.
This is not true! The ex-offender goes back to the community with a criminal record and a gap in his or her CV.
They start their NEW life, with no jobs or even a opportunity to get a NEW job. When they cannot find a job, they fall back onto crime to survive.
Just put yourself in that position, and see if you would make these same negative comments about this project.
If I can contribute to keep them from breaking into my house or car, I would. 

Signature space availlable -Just DM me if you need some advertising.
Baitty (OP)

View Profile
May 18, 2015, 09:10:20 AM
Last edit: June 05, 2015, 01:06:59 PM by Baitty

Hey,

The idea is most definitely not to line their pockets, but instead for them to work selflessly for the good of others. And the only reason the crypto-currency will be converted into GBP is so that indiegogo gets to take their fee and does not remove the project for accepting crypto donations.

OK, so if I understand correctly, you will provide work in the form of community service to the ex-offenders. ??
If I get it right then it's not bad.
Will they volunteer for it or is it going to be an actual job for them?

Hey,

No we will not be providing work directly for them. Are you familiar with crowdfunding?

Basically the ex-offenders will use their own initiative to try and come up with creative ideas to raise money for charity. They will upload their projects to the site and hope that the projects are funded by the public. They will then use the money raised to carry out their individual charity projects or the money will be sent directly to the choosen charity.

Before any ex-offenders are allowed to post a project on the site they will have to provide identification which will be held on file incase of any wrong doing. Also all projects will be manually approved before they are published. They will also have to post updates of their projects progress and evidence of what the money has been used for.

If the ex-offender wanted to run a criminal or fraudulent campaign it would be a whole lot easier to do it on one of the hundreds of other crowdfunding sites that do not have these additional security measures in place and without advertising to the world that they are ex-offenders.

Nothing is totally full proof but we have tried to address the valid security concerns as best we can.   

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: