Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 06:42:07 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: using or referencing the bitcoin name in a game  (Read 740 times)
jsoltani (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 17, 2015, 08:40:01 PM

Hi all, the only information I found online about this topic seemed outdated and without closure. If I wanted to make a for-profit game and used the bitcoin name as the currency for it, would that be alright? If not- who would I call to ask permission?
R2D221

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 17, 2015, 08:44:34 PM

Bitcoin is not a brand. You can use it however you want.

An economy based on endless growth is unsustainable.
Studio60

Activity: 59

View Profile
May 17, 2015, 08:47:17 PM

Just use it. Bitcoin belongs to the world, not any single entity. The more people use it however they want the less anybody can claim any rights to it.
RussianRaibow

Activity: 616

I AM A SCAMMER

View Profile WWW
May 17, 2015, 08:49:24 PM

Hi all, the only information I found online about this topic seemed outdated and without closure. If I wanted to make a for-profit game and used the bitcoin name as the currency for it, would that be alright? If not- who would I call to ask permission?

Your game... your Rule. Why bother asking permissions ?

I AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMER
jsoltani (OP)

View Profile
May 17, 2015, 09:04:57 PM

Thanks. I didn't want to violate a trademark. I do intend to trademark my game name but I'd just like to use bitcoins as my game's currency.
redsn0w
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1042

#Free market

View Profile
May 17, 2015, 09:10:14 PM

Thanks. I didn't want to violate a trademark. I do intend to trademark my game name but I'd just like to use bitcoins as my game's currency.

It doesn't exist any trademark, any central authority (only the bitcoin foundation, it is a little bit strange  Grin) so you can use bitcoin as you internal game currency (don't worry).
Jeremycoin
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1003

𝓗𝓞𝓓𝓛

View Profile
May 17, 2015, 09:14:24 PM

As everyone has said, you don't need to ask a permission to someone Wink
BTW, what kind of game do you wanna make? can I be the beta tester? Grin

faucet used to be profitable
RussianRaibow

Activity: 616

I AM A SCAMMER

View Profile WWW
May 17, 2015, 09:49:14 PM

You do not intend to violate any trademark is fine. But, if you intend to trademark a name with bitcoin, then I think you'll face protest from many lobby.

I AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMER
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4228
Merit: 4490

View Profile
May 17, 2015, 09:55:15 PM

nothing stops you using any ingame currency.. EG many games have their pretend currency as "dollars" and governments dont shout out that its counterfeit or money transfer..

.. but just be sure to subtly make your users aware that its fake "credits" called bitcoin and not actual bitcoin. otherwise many people will complain that your scamming them because they thought they were playing with/earning real bitcoins.

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
futureofbitcoin

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 17, 2015, 10:16:13 PM

nothing stops you using any ingame currency.. EG many games have their pretend currency as "dollars" and governments dont shout out that its counterfeit or money transfer..

.. but just be sure to subtly make your users aware that its fake "credits" called bitcoin and not actual bitcoin. otherwise many people will complain that your scamming them because they thought they were playing with/earning real bitcoins.
That. It will DEFINITELY happen. I can't understand how stupid some people in the world are, but they're everywhere. You'll have your hands full with all the complaints that will come, even if you say "This is a game currency, not the "real" bitcoin" somewhere on every page.

But then, because of this, you'll get "players" that you would not have gotten otherwise, since they think they can earn real bitcoins.
fdylstyx

Activity: 158
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 17, 2015, 11:47:15 PM

hmmm...I think there's some heavy players getting involved that just might start to throw lawyers at stuff like this. Just because they can.

Who's going to spend their own money paying lawyers to fight over the word bitcoin? Certainly not The Bitcoin Foundation, but I'm sure they'll hold themselves up as hired experts for litigation purposes.

We increasingly see, as bitcoin grows into the economic consciousness, just because it's not "owned" by any one person or group does not make it immune to law(s).

fdyl
Remember remember the 5th of November
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1011

Reverse engineer from time to time

View Profile
May 17, 2015, 11:52:37 PM

Didn't Mark Karpeles trademark it?

BTC:1AiCRMxgf1ptVQwx6hDuKMu4f7F27QmJC2
dothebeats
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 1353

View Profile
May 18, 2015, 12:02:05 AM

Does he have the right to do so in the first place?

EDIT: Found this article, just the first article to appear if you searched Mark Karpeles bitcoin trademark:
http://arstechnica.com/business/2014/05/mt-gox-looks-to-raise-1-million-in-sale-of-bitcoin-trademarks/
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
May 18, 2015, 06:29:05 AM

bitcoin don't belong to anyone, this is is strengh, anyway i actually encourage you to use it as a currency in game, the more game using it the better, maybe some tournaments with a small reward
Kyraishi

Activity: 952
Merit: 513

View Profile
May 18, 2015, 07:57:38 AM

Feel free to use it as much as you can.
There is no single entity or group that owns Bitcoin.
At least the platform.
There are many that own Bitcons  Grin

jsoltani (OP)

View Profile
May 18, 2015, 03:39:07 PM

Ok, what about the bitcoin logo? Can I also use that?
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
May 18, 2015, 03:43:21 PM

Ok, what about the bitcoin logo? Can I also use that?
There are many. Just google image search for one with re-use for commercial purposes rights.

Like these, you can mod them or whatever.
https://www.google.com/search?q=bitcoin+logo&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=sghaVbGADoWtogTrwoGYBA&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1084&bih=666&dpr=0.9#q=bitcoin+logo&tbm=isch&tbs=sur:fmc

This is a good one that is used a lot.
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7187/14065898024_ed1c068d4a_h.jpg

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
WhatTheGox
Legendary

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 18, 2015, 03:59:21 PM

Think he tried to trademark it, what a douche  Undecided.... i remember all his talk of doing good for the bitcoin community.
thebenjamincode

Activity: 490

37iGtdUJc2xXTDkw5TQZJQX1Wb98gSLYVP

View Profile
May 19, 2015, 01:07:07 AM

yeah i think bitcoin is for all that's why you should use it whenever you want
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: