Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 09:09:05 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: S5 BeagleBone network fail - help please!  (Read 1171 times)
RadekG (OP)

Activity: 924
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 17, 2015, 09:41:35 PM

Hi, this is first time when I am asking for help. I have two S5 BB boards with the same problem. The have some kind of very strange network failure.

1) BB and control boards boots normally, everything works perfect, except network connection. I can't ping or log in. It can't DHCP address. No network at all.

2) my second unit firstly was available at static IP, but was not hashing as it was unable to connect to my pools, diagnostic page always stopped without any results.

3) my bad is that I tried to switch to DHCP, but it blocked my miner as it cannot retrive address from DHCP now.

4) tried unplug hash boards with no effect.

---- > I tried new SDcard with old and new S5 firmware with no effect. I tried also C1 firmware and as it has static IP, so I can log in, but S5 can't recognize my hash boards.

Any idea what is wrong or how to solve it? Please read it again and do not post "unplug whatever" or "flash new S5 firmware".

Thanks!!!
sobe-it

Activity: 453
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 17, 2015, 10:14:28 PM

Did you happen to change the address by mistake or unknowingly? One of my s3's wouldn't connect and I couldn't ping it or anything. So then I tried changing my networks ip from 192.168.0.XX and worked my way up. I found it on (192.168.2.99). I then tried changing it to DHCP and it wouldn't mine. I tried to find it the same way but no luck, so i swapped control boards between both s3's and it booted finally. They are now both hashing happily!

network ip ex.
     192.168.0.XX
     192.168.1.XX
     192.168.2.XX
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 18, 2015, 12:03:05 AM

Hi, this is first time when I am asking for help. I have two S5 BB boards with the same problem. The have some kind of very strange network failure.

1) BB and control boards boots normally, everything works perfect, except network connection. I can't ping or log in. It can't DHCP address. No network at all.

2) my second unit firstly was available at static IP, but was not hashing as it was unable to connect to my pools, diagnostic page always stopped without any results.

3) my bad is that I tried to switch to DHCP, but it blocked my miner as it cannot retrive address from DHCP now.

4) tried unplug hash boards with no effect.

---- > I tried new SDcard with old and new S5 firmware with no effect. I tried also C1 firmware and as it has static IP, so I can log in, but S5 can't recognize my hash boards.

Any idea what is wrong or how to solve it? Please read it again and do not post "unplug whatever" or "flash new S5 firmware".

Thanks!!!

C1 firmware will not work for the S5.  Contact bitmain support.  I don't have a link at hand but there is a sd image for S5 to try to recover if it comes to it.

Do you know the IP you set it to?  Is it still picking up that IP?
RadekG (OP)

View Profile
May 18, 2015, 08:08:00 AM

Thanks!!!

C1 firmware will not work for the S5.  Contact bitmain support.  I don't have a link at hand but there is a sd image for S5 to try to recover if it comes to it.

Looks my english is very bad, I have to take new lessons Cheesy

I also tried Bitmain support, but it is very long way to explain, as the ask first "did you try?" or "use SDcard with image..." or whatever even I already wrote I DID. Like here Smiley

Problem is that there is strange network behavior. When it was at static IP it refused to mine because unknown problem. It couldn't resolve DNS, but traceroute worked. Then I did a mistake and switched to DHCP and after that it can't be recognized anymore.
RadekG (OP)

View Profile
May 18, 2015, 08:10:46 AM

Did you happen to change the address by mistake or unknowingly? One of my s3's wouldn't connect and I couldn't ping it or anything. So then I tried changing my networks ip from 192.168.0.XX and worked my way up. I found it on (192.168.2.99). I then tried changing it to DHCP and it wouldn't mine. I tried to find it the same way but no luck, so i swapped control boards between both s3's and it booted finally. They are now both hashing happily!

network ip ex.
     192.168.0.XX
     192.168.1.XX
     192.168.2.XX

It had static IP at 192.168.1.101, but did not mine, so I thought it will be better to use DHCP and let it assign IP and DNS through DHCP, but it was a mistake as it is unresponsive anymore. I can't find it anywhere and LEDs are lighting like when no network cable is inserted.
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
May 18, 2015, 08:13:46 AM

Thanks!!!

Looks my english is very bad, I have to take new lessons Cheesy

I also tried Bitmain support, but it is very long way to explain, as the ask first "did you try?" or "use SDcard with image..." or whatever even I already wrote I DID. Like here Smiley

Problem is that there is strange network behavior. When it was at static IP it refused to mine because unknown problem. It couldn't resolve DNS, but traceroute worked. Then I did a mistake and switched to DHCP and after that it can't be recognized anymore.

If it's dns issue have you tried different dns?  Google is 8.8.8.8  , you might give it a try.
RadekG (OP)

View Profile
May 18, 2015, 08:22:52 AM

If it's dns issue have you tried different dns?  Google is 8.8.8.8  , you might give it a try.

I thought this, so I switched to DHCP to let it retrive new IP with new DNS. Then it disappeared from my network. I always use DNS 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4.
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
May 18, 2015, 08:26:54 AM

I thought this, so I switched to DHCP to let it retrive new IP with new DNS. Then it disappeared from my network. I always use DNS 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4.

Can you post a picture of settings when you try to change it to static?   Maybe someone can spot an error hopefully.   It's odd that it works perfect with DHCP and static IP craps out.
RadekG (OP)

View Profile
May 18, 2015, 08:37:30 AM

Can you post a picture of settings when you try to change it to static?   Maybe someone can spot an error hopefully.   It's odd that it works perfect with DHCP and static IP craps out.

Opposite. It do not work with DHCP, so I can't log in. It can't mine.

It worked with Static IP. That is why it can boot with C1 image - it has static IP already.
Tupsu
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1003

View Profile
May 18, 2015, 11:27:31 AM

If you still have any of the S5 you can do so

Software to get here www.perearstike.ee/S5/softold/SD-S5-20150107.tar.gz

It works 100% with 4 blade.

alh
Legendary

Activity: 1843
Merit: 1050

View Profile
May 19, 2015, 05:07:49 AM

Is your S5 miner plugged into a network that has a DHCP server? Presumably a network with your router?

I would suggest the following:

1) Turn off as much stuff on your network as is feasible, except for the router and your usual computer. This includes the S5's. Don't forget Wifi devices and such.
2) Assuming you have Windows, use the "IP Scanner software" to scan your network and record all the IP address and whatever else it tells you about each IP address.
3) Turn on ONE of your S5 miners, let it settle for at least a minute and then repeat step #2. You should see something new. That should be the S5 you added.Once you can log, you should be able to regain control and do some debug work on actually getting it to connect to a pool and doing the mining.

Usually most routers have a way to log into them to configure and check their status. Most will have a way to display the DHCP configuration, and which IP addresses have been assigned to who. Work on one miner at a time in terms of getting control, get the right image flashed, and then tinkering with it to actually connect to a pool and mine. You might also want to consider trying different pools until you can see what's up with your pool specification. Keep your network as small as you can until thing appear under control and then start to add things back. You''ll eventually see something that triggers things.

It may appear to be frustratingly slow, but until you have some reasonable control of you S5 "network", you'll be fighting this for a long time.

I can't comment on the C1 -vs- S5 firmware, but it only makes sense to use the S5 firmware for the S5.

RadekG (OP)

View Profile
May 19, 2015, 06:35:11 AM

Is your S5 miner plugged into a network that has a DHCP server? Presumably a network with your router?

1) Turn off as much stuff on your network as is feasible, except for the router and your usual computer. This includes the S5's. Don't forget Wifi devices and such.
2) Assuming you have Windows, use the "IP Scanner software" to scan your network and record all the IP address and whatever else it tells you about each IP address.
3) Turn on ONE of your S5 miners, let it settle for at least a minute and then repeat step #2. You should see something new. That should be the S5 you added.Once you can log, you should be able to regain control and do some debug work on actually getting it to connect to a pool and doing the mining.

Usually most routers have a way to log into them to configure and check their status. Most will have a way to display the DHCP configuration, and which IP addresses have been assigned to who. Work on one miner at a time in terms of getting control, get the right image flashed, and then tinkering with it to actually connect to a pool and mine. You might also want to consider trying different pools until you can see what's up with your pool specification. Keep your network as small as you can until thing appear under control and then start to add things back. You''ll eventually see something that triggers things.

It may appear to be frustratingly slow, but until you have some reasonable control of you S5 "network", you'll be fighting this for a long time.

I can't comment on the C1 -vs- S5 firmware, but it only makes sense to use the S5 firmware for the S5.

It doesn't help, I already tried this.
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
May 19, 2015, 07:10:50 AM

So just to make sure neither of the S5's are working?

What brand/model is your router your using?
RadekG (OP)

View Profile
May 19, 2015, 05:51:17 PM

So just to make sure neither of the S5's are working?

What brand/model is your router your using?

It is not problem of router, it is BeagleBone/S5 image problem
RadekG (OP)

View Profile
May 19, 2015, 05:53:31 PM

If you still have any of the S5 you can do so

Software to get here www.perearstike.ee/S5/softold/SD-S5-20150107.tar.gz

Thank you, first useful advice. I already thought of this, but I haven't long cables. By the way, there are two revisions of S5 with different connector (newer has 2 pin more).
alh
Legendary

Activity: 1843
Merit: 1050

View Profile
May 19, 2015, 06:16:06 PM

I don't quite understand how merging your two S5's together will fix anything. My understanding was that both S5's had the same problem, and that neither works. Heed the link to the firmware image. As understand it, the latest firmware from Bitmain for the S5 has dropped (i.e. disabled) support for more than 2 blades on a controller.
Tupsu
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1003

View Profile
May 19, 2015, 07:24:22 PM
Last edit: August 13, 2015, 07:35:46 PM by Tupsu

Thank you, first useful advice. I already thought of this, but I haven't long cables. By the way, there are two revisions of S5 with different connector (newer has 2 pin more).

You can use new S5 Hash PCB  ( 18 pin connector)   with S5 Control PCB  (16 pin connectors) Need only a 16 pin cable.
Picture of my water cooling S5 project    3 x old blade + 1x new 18 pin blade.

....... Heed the link to the firmware image. As understand it, the latest firmware from Bitmain for the S5 has dropped (i.e. disabled) support for more than 2 blades on a controller.

Software you get here www.perearstike.ee/S5/softold/SD-S5-20150107.tar.gz

Zich
Legendary

Activity: 1190

View Profile WWW
May 20, 2015, 08:22:27 AM
Last edit: May 20, 2015, 08:36:58 AM by Zich

network ip ex.
     192.168.0.XX
     192.168.1.XX
     192.168.2.XX

It had static IP at 192.168.1.101, but did not mine, so I thought it will be better to use DHCP and let it assign IP and DNS through DHCP, but it was a mistake as it is unresponsive anymore. I can't find it anywhere and LEDs are lighting like when no network cable is inserted.

The problem is the ip address & other network setting like gateway & dns of the miner.
What is your own network ip address? Or what is your router ip address?

For example, the miner ip address is 192.168.1.101, if your router ip address is 192.168.0.1 then the miner will not be able connect. You need to change the miner ip to 192.168.0.101, gateway to 192.168.0.1, dns using google dns is fine.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: