Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 07:10:26 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How much should physical Casascius Bitcoin cost today ?  (Read 1523 times)
Technologov (OP)

Activity: 203
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 18, 2015, 07:37:51 AM

Hi all,

Someone is offering to sell physical Casascius Bitcoin (1 BTC, of 2013). Fully loaded.

What should be the fair price today of such item ? (considering they are no longer in production)

-Technologov
notserp
Legendary

Activity: 2240
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 18, 2015, 07:40:32 AM

you can get them from camolist for 1.3 here https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=131828.0
miffman
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1005

PGP ID: 78B7B84D

View Profile
May 18, 2015, 07:45:46 AM

you can get them from camolist for 1.3 here https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=131828.0

Camolist has increased the price to 1.35BTC.

█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
BitBlender 

█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
Technologov (OP)

Activity: 203
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 18, 2015, 08:02:54 AM

Thanks.
jdebunt
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1010

View Profile WWW
May 18, 2015, 09:29:49 AM

0.35 BTC for the coin itself (considering it's funded with 1BTC) seems like a fair deal given the current exchange value.

It's like 75$ for the coin itself, doesn't seem that overly expensive to me Smiley
WhatTheGox
Legendary

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 18, 2015, 09:31:42 AM

Not too bad considering they used to be like twice the price.  I probably still wouldnt buy one tbh, they are probably good as gifts to people who cant work a digital wallet though.
sgk
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1002

!! HODL !!

View Profile
May 18, 2015, 09:57:27 AM

Not too bad considering they used to be like twice the price.  I probably still wouldnt buy one tbh, they are probably good as gifts to people who cant work a digital wallet though.

For gifting purposes, I prefer a 'dummy' physical Bitcoin, which looks same as the Casascius one, except it does not hold any private keys so basically a collection item:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hot-Gold-Plated-BTC-Physical-Bitcoin-Commemorative-Hobby-Art-Collection-Coin-127-/261865138280

I just gifted one to one of my friends to get him started.
They're way cheaper and gets the job done of making people curious about Bitcoin and get them started.
jdebunt
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1010

View Profile WWW
May 18, 2015, 10:32:19 AM

For gifting purposes, I prefer a 'dummy' physical Bitcoin, which looks same as the Casascius one, except it does not hold any private keys so basically a collection item:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hot-Gold-Plated-BTC-Physical-Bitcoin-Commemorative-Hobby-Art-Collection-Coin-127-/261865138280

They're way cheaper and gets the job done of making people curious about Bitcoin and get them started.
But those coins can not be funded though Smiley Depends on what type of gift you want to give I guess Smiley
Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 2339

View Profile
May 18, 2015, 11:37:48 AM

Someone is offering to sell physical Casascius Bitcoin (1 BTC, of 2013). Fully loaded.
Are you buying an all silver, a silver+gold, or a brass coin? Is it graded? The above prices are correct if it is upgraded and brass. It would be worth significantly more if it was brass and graded high, or is silver or silver+gold
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3014

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
May 18, 2015, 12:34:31 PM

I probably still wouldnt buy one tbh, they are probably good as gifts to people who cant work a digital wallet though.

I bought one from him at that price and am pleased I did. If BTC did rise to an intergalactic level I really can't foresee the premium in BTC maintaining, especially for brass, but I just fancied one so I got it. It'll always have some notoriety and they ain't making any more.  
Possum577

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

Loose lips sink sigs!

View Profile WWW
May 19, 2015, 06:08:19 AM

Beautiful coins. The real value is what it's worth to you!

Here's some more information, the mintage numbers for each coin, i love this site -> http://www.spotcoins.com/bitcoin/casascius

I've paid BTC2 for a few of my BTC1 coins. I also believe that Camolist is offering the best price right now. The only problem with buying from him is that you have to wait until he has enough orders to send them out.

kalgecin

Activity: 819

View Profile
May 19, 2015, 06:18:19 AM

when first started though each coin was 12 usd thats about right?

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄███████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

...INTRODUCING WAVES........
...ULTIMATE ASSET/CUSTOM TOKEN BLOCKCHAIN PLATFORM...

Fortify
Legendary

Activity: 2702
Merit: 1192

View Profile
May 19, 2015, 06:19:11 AM

Nothing wrong with trying to spread the Bitcoin idea, but that coin most definitely looks nothing like a casascius - other than being round.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT|
4,000+ GAMES
███████████████████
██████████▀▄▀▀▀████
████████▀▄▀██░░░███
██████▀▄███▄▀█▄▄▄██
███▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀███
██░░░░░░░░█░░░░░░██
██▄░░░░░░░█░░░░░▄██
███▄░░░░▄█▄▄▄▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
▀████████
░░▀██████
░░░░▀████
░░░░░░███
▄░░░░░███
▀█▄▄▄████
░░▀▀█████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
░░░▀▀████
██▄▄▀░███
█░░█▄░░██
░████▀▀██
█░░█▀░░██
██▀▀▄░███
░░░▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
|
██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██
▀█▄░▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄░▄█▀
▄▄███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███▄▄
▀░▀▄▀▄░░░░░▄▄░░░░░▄▀▄▀░▀
▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▄▄▀▀▄▄▄▄▄
█░▄▄▄██████▄▄▄░█
█░▀▀████████▀▀░█
█░█▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██░█
█░█▀████████░█
█░█░██████░█
▀▄▀▄███▀▄▀
▄▀▄
▀▄▄▄▄▀▄▀▄
██▀░░░░░░░░▀██
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
░▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███▀▄▀█████████████████▀▄▀
█████▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄███░▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
███████▀▄▀██████░█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████▀▄▄░███▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███████████░███████▀▄▀
███████████░██▀▄▄▄▄▀
███████████░▀▄▀
████████████▄▀
███████████
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
▄███▀▄▄███████▄▄▀███▄
▄██▀▄█▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█▄▀██▄
▄██▄██████▀████░███▄██▄
███░████████▀██░████░███
███░████░█▄████▀░████░███
███░████░███▄████████░███
▀██▄▀███░█████▄█████▀▄██▀
▀██▄▀█▄▄▄██████▄██▀▄██▀
▀███▄▀▀███████▀▀▄███▀
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
OFFICIAL PARTNERSHIP
FAZE CLAN
SSC NAPOLI
|
sgk
Legendary

!! HODL !!

View Profile
May 19, 2015, 01:04:33 PM

Nothing wrong with trying to spread the Bitcoin idea, but that coin most definitely looks nothing like a casascius - other than being round.

OK, you got me  Tongue

But the casascius coin and the one I mentioned have different purposes. If you just wants to get someone curious and involved with BTC, the coin can do the job even if it does not have any funds on it. (They can buy their own BTC or Satoshis I don't care Tongue  )

Casascius coin may be for someone who is well versed in Bitcoin game and wants it as a collector's item.
snarlpill

Activity: 910
Merit: 530

$5 24k Gold FREE 4 sign-up! Mene.com/invite/h5ZRRP

View Profile WWW
May 19, 2015, 02:13:31 PM

It's a shame though that the coin you linked to is one of the many thousands of counterfeit Antana Statistic Coins circulating on eBay from China. The real coins are gold-plated and come from Australia, and there were many batches released with a limited amount of coins, each batch commemorating a specific event from Bitcoin history and time period from the network. There are tons and tons of Antana fakes on eBay, all coming from China, and if you see those coins listed from China I would say they are counterfeits 100% of the time. Just one of a few physical Bitcoins that are heavily counterfeited in China; also look out for fake Titan Bitcoins, knock-off Lealana Litecoins, and fake plated Cold Hard Cash Silver Bitcoin Species. If anybody would like more information on how to tell if these coins seen on eBay are legitimate originals or worthless counterfeits, just send me a PM.

However, in your case sgk, for sending to someone who is not a serious collector and/or is new to Bitcoin, it probably doesn't matter to them and still serves the purpose of getting them to think about Bitcoin and learn more about it.

sgk
Legendary

!! HODL !!

View Profile
May 19, 2015, 05:25:44 PM

It's a shame though that the coin you linked to is one of the many thousands of counterfeit Antana Statistic Coins circulating on eBay from China. The real coins are gold-plated and come from Australia, and there were many batches released with a limited amount of coins, each batch commemorating a specific event from Bitcoin history and time period from the network. There are tons and tons of Antana fakes on eBay, all coming from China, and if you see those coins listed from China I would say they are counterfeits 100% of the time. Just one of a few physical Bitcoins that are heavily counterfeited in China; also look out for fake Titan Bitcoins, knock-off Lealana Litecoins, and fake plated Cold Hard Cash Silver Bitcoin Species. If anybody would like more information on how to tell if these coins seen on eBay are legitimate originals or worthless counterfeits, just send me a PM.

However, in your case sgk, for sending to someone who is not a serious collector and/or is new to Bitcoin, it probably doesn't matter to them and still serves the purpose of getting them to think about Bitcoin and learn more about it.

Wow, I didn't know about origin of the gold plated bitcoins and the fake counterparts from China.
I gifted one of them to a friend Tongue   ... I guess you learn something new everyday.

Next time of i willingly gift one of those to someone,  i will also take time to explain them a story about the original coins and of course the Casascius ones.
digicoinuser
Legendary

Activity: 2744
Merit: 1072

View Profile
May 19, 2015, 05:40:42 PM

Wow, I didn't know about origin of the gold plated bitcoins and the fake counterparts from China.
I gifted one of them to a friend Tongue   ... I guess you learn something new everyday.

Next time of i willingly gift one of those to someone,  i will also take time to explain them a story about the original coins and of course the Casascius ones.

Thanks for that, I was under the impression those were just cheap China coins and had no idea they were a replica of an actual coin (Antana Statistic).    Smiley

I hope the upcoming book that comes out regarding physical bitcoins has enough information to be able to tell the difference between these types of counterfeits.

snarlpill

Activity: 910
Merit: 530

$5 24k Gold FREE 4 sign-up! Mene.com/invite/h5ZRRP

View Profile WWW
May 19, 2015, 07:28:31 PM

I gifted one of them to a friend Tongue   ... I guess you learn something new everyday.

Next time of i willingly gift one of those to someone,  i will also take time to explain them a story about the original coins and of course the Casascius ones.

I'm not mad at ya at all, you would have no way of knowing it's a counterfeit unless you already had prior knowledge of a relatively unknown coin series. It does suck for the original creator Antana though, they make his coins worth less because people assume they are the same Chinese coins they've already seen for a buck or 2 everywhere on eBay. Like I said there are a lot of fake Titans and Lealanas as well, but these are Very Easy to spot because they don't even attempt the security hologram, and instead have a different and crappy reverse.

Thanks for that, I was under the impression those were just cheap China coins and had no idea they were a replica of an actual coin (Antana Statistic).    Smiley

I hope the upcoming book that comes out regarding physical bitcoins has enough information to be able to tell the difference between these types of counterfeits.

I think it will, IIRC I saw where elianite said there will be a section on counterfeits, and elianite knows his shit pretty well. I think his book will become the authoritative reference book on all physical cryptos, sort of like the Red Book that every coin shop owner owns is for US coins. I can't wait to see his finished product, that will be very cool.

kalgecin

Activity: 819

View Profile
May 19, 2015, 09:22:05 PM

I wonder if there will ever be a serious attempt at counterfeiting?

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄███████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

...INTRODUCING WAVES........
...ULTIMATE ASSET/CUSTOM TOKEN BLOCKCHAIN PLATFORM...

gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3014

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
May 19, 2015, 09:34:09 PM

I wonder if there will ever be a serious attempt at counterfeiting?

Gotta be a dead cert, surely?

There's enough Chinese coins on Ebay 'inspired' by established designs, though none of them try to pass themselves off as genuine.

It would only take a bit more precision to have a try at making a funded replica but there's probably not enough demand yet.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: