Bitcoin Forum
April 28, 2024, 06:50:15 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin a scam?  (Read 3568 times)
lebing (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1000

Enabling the maximal migration

View Profile
September 07, 2012, 08:47:13 PM

Downvote this guy's answer (top answer from Adam Cohen) if you dont think so:

http://www.quora.com/Bitcoin/Is-the-cryptocurrency-Bitcoin-a-good-idea

People are using this douchebags answer as the "definitive" answer on the future of bitcoin when the topic comes up (see the CNN discussion yesterday)...

Bro, do you even blockchain?
-E Voorhees
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
paulie_w

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 07, 2012, 09:17:34 PM

the worst part is that he corrected many parts of his answer elsewhere but never changed it

yes, douchebag.
BadBitcoin (James Sutton)
Donator

Activity: 452
Merit: 252

View Profile
September 07, 2012, 09:30:13 PM

People are using this douchebags answer as the "definitive" answer on the future of bitcoin when the topic comes up (see the CNN discussion yesterday)...

well the thing is, as a currency, hes right, bitcoins are not currency, they are commodities.

however that does not mean that they are anything even remotely related to a scam in its entirety.
zoinky

Activity: 811
Merit: 1000

Web Developer

View Profile
September 07, 2012, 09:46:43 PM

Well written argument. I'll give him that.
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
September 07, 2012, 10:14:52 PM

Money in any form when in actual use as a medium of exchange.

Bitcoin is currency to me.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
istar

Activity: 523
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 07, 2012, 10:16:36 PM

well the thing is, as a currency, hes right, bitcoins are not currency, they are commodities.

however that does not mean that they are anything even remotely related to a scam in its entirety.

What is the banks "money" then? Not currency but credits?

Bitcoins - Because we should not pay to use our money
paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: 1pirata

View Profile WWW
September 07, 2012, 10:44:16 PM

What is the banks "money" then? Not currency but credits?

You could say that, yes. Quite a game changer this bitcoin thing and an eye opener too

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep
Severian

Activity: 476

View Profile
September 07, 2012, 10:47:38 PM

WTF is an "Internet Economist"?
FreeMoney
Legendary

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
September 07, 2012, 10:50:19 PM

WTF is an "Internet Economist"?

Like an "armchair quarterback" or "backseat driver".

Severian

Activity: 476

View Profile
September 07, 2012, 10:52:25 PM

Some of my backseat drivers have occasionally been correct.
paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: 1pirata

View Profile WWW
September 07, 2012, 10:59:53 PM

http://www.lolbrary.com/post/22286/i-hate-backseat-drivers/  Smiley

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep
Melbustus
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1003

View Profile
September 07, 2012, 11:15:23 PM

No, that's the awesome thing about bitcoin...it's both!

Bitcoin is the first monetary system to credibly offer perfect information to all economic participants.
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
September 07, 2012, 11:18:13 PM

its a stupid post:

1.  he acts like the banks borrow from the Fed on equal terms to the rest of us.  NO.  they get to borrow at 0% and turn around and lend it to us @ usurious credit card rates of 15%.
2.  he doesn't understand that the "assets" (bad debt) that the banks turn over to the Fed for newly printed cash are marked at model (full) value, not market value.  all the subprime garbage, aka MBS, they sold to the Fed for cash was worth only a fraction of its original value in the market place.  meanwhile, the freshly printed cash the Fed hands over to the banks devalue the rest of our money.
3.  the deflation argument has been shot down many times here.  as long as we have a free market in Bitcoin (no manipulation by a special interest group like the Fed) then there will be healthy disagreement as to its present and future value all along the way up the asymptotic release curve over time.  so some will spend freely who think its correctly valued or overvalued, others will hoard who think its undervalued.  so what.  i personally do not call Bitcoin a deflationary currency.  i call it a fixed supply currency which is a description of its ultimate target.  the main point is that its issuance is not "hoarded" by a bankster-like elite for their own benefit.
4. early adopters "work" for their money (block rewards).  anyone who mines knows what i'm talking about.  they've also put up their hard earned USD's for equipment and electricity, not to mention all the time and expertise they need to garner to make it work.  there's risk as well from obsolescence of equipment or from Bitcoin going to zero.  the GPU to ASIC transition is a perfect example.
5.  NO, we do not want a Tweets per day exponentially rising graph depicting our currency.  you can have your fiat.
6.  convertibility clearly has not been a problem as we have plenty of exchanges.  it will get better too.
7. as for a panic and dump?   we've had quite a few of those already but yet here we are @$11.20.  Cheesy
FreeMoney
Legendary

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
September 07, 2012, 11:20:27 PM

Yeah, same as an "Internet Economist", can't be wrong all the time, it would be too useful.

Ivica

Activity: 218
Merit: 100

Firstbits: 19e3fc

View Profile
September 07, 2012, 11:25:54 PM

I wanted to drop reading after I saw twitter picture, but I made it to the end. "Internet economist" it is...

19e3fcoLTu8YVFAU1NywJ88YnHH5kF8ScP - donations are welcome.
cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
September 07, 2012, 11:49:22 PM

i should also add that when banksters get to borrow at 0% interest, they turn around and distort markets to a horrendous degree like we have today.  the entire world's economies are going into recession and yet they ramp stock and bond markets in the name of "price stability".  bullshit.  the only price stability they want is for their investments that they've gone all in with and are terrified to actually have marked to market by free markets.  nevermind the price of gold, silver, oil, foodstuffs; the things the rest of us need to survive.
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
September 07, 2012, 11:58:08 PM

i should also add that when banksters get to borrow at 0% interest, they turn around and distort markets to a horrendous degree like we have today.  the entire world's economies are going into recession and yet they ramp stock and bond markets in the name of "price stability".  bullshit.  the only price stability they want is for their investments that they've gone all in with and are terrified to actually have marked to market by free markets.  nevermind the price of gold, silver, oil, foodstuffs; the things the rest of us need to survive.
The stock market is being propped up with printed money to save the public sector pension funds primarily and the 401k accounts of the baby boomers secondarily. It's all about political pull and buying votes.
cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
September 08, 2012, 12:00:56 AM

The stock market is being propped up with printed money to save the public sector pension funds primarily and the 401k accounts of the baby boomers secondarily. It's all about political pull and buying votes.

so why didn't they do that in 2000 and 2008?
labestiol

Activity: 434
Merit: 251

View Profile
September 08, 2012, 12:06:26 AM

So much fail in this "Internet Economist" answer, it's just funny.
I more and more with Holliday here. I'm happily answering questions, but I stopped trying to convince people who use flawed logic.
In the end, they'll be proven wrong.

(Emphasis mine)

Cypherdoc, are you getting bullish  Shocked

1BestioLC7YBVh8Q5LfH6RYURD6MrpP8y6
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
September 08, 2012, 12:09:03 AM

i should also add that when banksters get to borrow at 0% interest, they turn around and distort markets to a horrendous degree like we have today.  the entire world's economies are going into recession and yet they ramp stock and bond markets in the name of "price stability".  bullshit.  the only price stability they want is for their investments that they've gone all in with and are terrified to actually have marked to market by free markets.  nevermind the price of gold, silver, oil, foodstuffs; the things the rest of us need to survive.

so why didn't they do that in 2000 and 2008?
They did. The housing bubble was the mechanism for the 2000 crash and the various programs which have brought the stock market back up since the 2009 low were how they did it this time.

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/08/02/opinion/dubya-s-double-dip.html
Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  

Jump to: