Bitcoin Forum
July 02, 2024, 08:17:55 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why low hash rate with HD 5830?  (Read 7592 times)
Maniac479 (OP)

Activity: 69
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 07, 2012, 10:28:31 PM

I was thrilled to get my new Sapphire HD 5830 in the mail yesterday. Finally I buckled down and just went for the "buy-it-now" on Ebay after losing out on a bunch of auctions.

So it's hooked up and pool mining on Deepbit. I'm getting a hash rate of just under 170. But according to this web page-

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Mining_hardware_comparison

I should be getting around 300.

Does anyone have any idea why I'm not getting a higher hash rate?

Also according to

http://www.btcmu.info/  

Deepbit has the lowest PPS rate. Does this fraction Deepbit   .00001670348887
vs Mt. Red   .00001855943207 really make any significant difference in my earnings?

This is my first post outside of the newbies section. I am happy to be in the real world!  Grin

legolouman

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

Decent Programmer to boot!

View Profile
September 07, 2012, 10:30:31 PM

I was thrilled to get my new Sapphire HD 5830 in the mail yesterday. Finally I buckled down and just went for the "buy-it-now" on Ebay after losing out on a bunch of auctions.

So it's hooked up and pool mining on Deepbit. I'm getting a hash rate of just under 170. But according to this web page-

Also according to

vs Mt. Red   .00001855943207 really make any significant difference in my earnings?

This is my first post outside of the newbies section. I am happy to be in the real world!  Grin

Generally, in order to get the maximized hash rate, you need to over clock the core, underclock the memory, decrease voltage and use the proper flags. Use MSI Afterburner or cgminer to play with the settings, using the ones from the mining comparison for comparison

If you love me, you'd give me a Satoshi!
BTC - 1MSzGKh5znbrcEF2qTrtrWBm4ydH5eT49f
LTC - LYeJrmYQQvt6gRQxrDz66XTwtkdodx9udz
Maniac479 (OP)

View Profile
September 07, 2012, 10:32:08 PM

Thanks for the quick response. I thought it might be something like that. However I'm worried that overclocking might damage my new card. How worried should I be about that?
legolouman

View Profile
September 07, 2012, 10:36:55 PM

Thanks for the quick response. I thought it might be something like that. However I'm worried that overclocking might damage my new card. How worried should I be about that?

If you use MSI Afterburner, and don't unlock the voltage, you shouldn't be able to damage it unless you over heat it. I would bump up the core clock to like 850-875, and lower the memory as much as possible while keeping it stable. Using the flags -v -f 0 -w 128 Also, watch the temps and fan speed.

I don't have much experience with 5830's, but you should be able to use those clocks with no problem. You won't get the maximized amount, but you should get a decent boost.

legolouman

View Profile
September 07, 2012, 10:42:55 PM

Also, in regards to the PPS rate differences:

Yes, getting paid as much as possible for a share is importance, as it maximizes the amount of BTC you mine. I currently get (BTC 0.0000176686) a share from ABCpool and am content. You will mine the same amount of shares on either pool, but if each share is worth more money, than you get paid more.

Unacceptable
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 07, 2012, 11:12:34 PM

Also according to

I don't have a 5830 firstly,BUT..................

#1. Keep temp at or close to 70 C-75 C when OC'in your card.Set your fanspeed to achieve those temps.That will keep you from doing any damage to your card's.

#2. I use GUIminer,its the easiest miner to use,no .bat files needed or command prompt to use.I use -w 128 -v for flags.Use Afterburner for OC'in & fan speed control.Remember to save settings after making adjustments.

#3. Slowly OC,up the core speed a little at a time & turn the memory clock down as far as it will go,not needed while mining.I run new settings for at least 30 minutes each to check stability & temps.

Search the forum for more info on 5830 OC'in & expected hashrates  Wink

Welcome to the forum & good mining  Cool

"If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day long, you are the asshole."  -Raylan Givens
Got GOXXED ?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KiqRpPiJAU&feature=youtu.be
"An ASIC being late is perfectly normal, predictable, and legal..."Hashfast & BFL slogan Smiley
crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 08, 2012, 12:00:33 AM

1) On my 5830, I ran CGMiner with these flags: --auto-fan --auto-gpu --temp-target 70 --gpu-fan 25-80 --gpu-engine 900  --gpu-memclock 300 -I 8 -w 256
If you wanted to reduce your noise/heat, try with these: --auto-fan --auto-gpu --temp-target 70 --gpu-fan 25-80 --gpu-vddc 1.00 --gpu-engine 800  --gpu-memclock 300 -I 8 -w 256

In either case, start bumping up the "--gpu-engine" parameter as high as you can can go and still be stable. For me, that was ~960 or ~860.

2) Whatever pool you mine as is up to you, but your PPS rate will not affect your hashrate. It just means that you will be getting more for every share you submit. MtRed consistently has the highest PPS rate, but they deal with very significant stability issues, so you might lose out more than you gain. I personally started at Deepbit and moved to OZcoin, both of which are good.

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
Maniac479 (OP)

View Profile
September 08, 2012, 02:31:00 AM

1) On my 5830, I ran CGMiner with these flags: --auto-fan --auto-gpu --temp-target 70 --gpu-fan 25-80 --gpu-engine 900  --gpu-memclock 300 -I 8 -w 256
If you wanted to reduce your noise/heat, try with these: --auto-fan --auto-gpu --temp-target 70 --gpu-fan 25-80 --gpu-vddc 1.00 --gpu-engine 800  --gpu-memclock 300 -I 8 -w 256

In either case, start bumping up the "--gpu-engine" parameter as high as you can can go and still be stable. For me, that was ~960 or ~860.

I guess this means I'll have to ditch guiminer for a command line one. I'm not sure I'm up to that yet, but I have considered it.

2) Whatever pool you mine as is up to you, but your PPS rate will not affect your hashrate. It just means that you will be getting more for every share you submit. MtRed consistently has the highest PPS rate, but they deal with very significant stability issues, so you might lose out more than you gain. I personally started at Deepbit and moved to OZcoin, both of which are good.

Funny you should say that. When I tried to get to the MtRed website, it was down!
Fiyasko
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1001

Okey Dokey Lokey

View Profile
September 08, 2012, 02:57:38 PM

I own a Shappire HD 5830 Extreme (not lightning) running with the core at 930, Memory 600, CGminer, Kernal Diablo, -w 128 -v 2, Intensity 7, Getting 310mh/s @ Deepbit

http://bitcoin-otc.com/viewratingdetail.php?nick=DingoRabiit&sign=ANY&type=RECV <-My Ratings
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=857670.0 GAWminers and associated things are not to be trusted, Especially the "mineral" exchange
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
September 08, 2012, 08:35:11 PM

deepbit pay 167 and mt red 185

why do you prefer being paid 167 instead of 185? Huh

niko

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
September 08, 2012, 08:51:00 PM

You shouldn't worry about damaging the cards by simply overclocking them. No need for flashing, overvolting. Overclocking makes no permanent changes to the card, warranty is still valid. You'll find lots of info in old posts on the forum.

You will learn a lot of new stuf in the weeks. Systematically vary the clock speeds and note the stability and performance. Keep in mind: stability is more important than hash rate. No use hashing at 310 in the evening and waking up to a frozen system, when you can hash at 300 with no interuptions. Also, keep in mind that different 5830s will have different sweet spots. Finally, make sure your power supply can provide enough juice.

Have fun!

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
crazyates
Legendary

View Profile
September 08, 2012, 09:06:41 PM

Yes, because Mt Red is just as stable and has the same uptime as Deepbit.

ARapalo

Activity: 93

View Profile
September 08, 2012, 11:38:41 PM

OP, there are too many variables to low hashrate. Check to see that the card is not being throttled because of higher temps, or that it did not instantly crash, or if it's running in 2D instead of 3D mode. All these will cause it to downclock. Also, the mining software and tags can make huge differences in hashrates.
Shadow383

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 08, 2012, 11:41:26 PM

I pay 195, guess what, some people just like certain pools for inadequately disclosed reasons  Tongue

OP, 170 is about what you'll get with no flags set in GUIMiner, set -v -w 128 and you'll immediately see that rocket.
Maniac479 (OP)

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 12:45:00 AM

I pay 195, guess what, some people just like certain pools for inadequately disclosed reasons  Tongue

OP, 170 is about what you'll get with no flags set in GUIMiner, set -v -w 128 and you'll immediately see that rocket.

What pool are you?

Holy crap I did that and my hash rate went from 170 to 249!  Kiss After I figured out to put it in the "extra flags" box in guiminer.   Roll Eyes I just copied and pasted -v -w 128 to that box. What the hell did I just do? Is my GPU going to explode?  Shocked

I installed MSI Afterburner and hit some button that increased my fan speed. Other than making more noise, that didn't do crap! hahaha Afterburner was just too complex and intimidating to bother with, but I can cut and paste -v -w 128 into a box no problem, even without you telling me where the friggin' box is!

l
crazyates
Legendary

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 12:56:12 AM

What pool are you?

Holy crap I did that and my hash rate went from 170 to 249!  Kiss After I figured out to put it in the "extra flags" box in guiminer.   Roll Eyes I just copied and pasted -v -w 128 to that box. What the hell did I just do? Is my GPU going to explode?  Shocked

I installed MSI Afterburner and hit some button that increased my fan speed. Other than making more noise, that didn't do crap! hahaha Afterburner was just too complex and intimidating to bother with, but I can cut and paste -v -w 128 into a box no problem, even without you telling me where the friggin' box is!

l

Haha no your GPU isn't going to explode. In fact it's not working any harder than it was before! Those settings just optimize your bit-mining, so it's more efficient.

That fan option yet changed in MSI Afterburner won't affect your hash rates, but it WILL affect (lower) your temps and protect your card better. I'd say go ahead and ramp that fan up to 75%, and you should be good!

Maniac479 (OP)

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 02:28:04 AM

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=4122.0

I found the above helpful thread on this topic all by myself.  Wink
legolouman

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 02:43:55 AM

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=4122.0

I found the above helpful thread on this topic all by myself.  Wink

I'm guessing you are slowly raising your hashrate. You have to let us know what you get up to!

Shadow383

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 09:12:44 AM

What pool are you?

Good stuff - welcome to the world of Bitcoin mining, it's a slippery slope  Wink
Also I run a hopping proxy, which isn't really a pool  Cheesy https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=106185.0
AndrewBUD

Activity: 1078
Merit: 502

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2012, 01:16:05 PM

Well you would need to reach close to 950mhz to reach over 300mhash/s I have a handful of 5830's and I believe their clocked @ 950 getting around 300mhash/s

▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄▄█████▀▀''`▀▀█████▄▄
▄███P'            `YY██▄
▄██P'                  `Y██▄
███'                      `███
███'                         ███
▄██'   ▄█████▄▄  ,▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄p   ███
▄██▀  ,████▀P▀███.`██████████P   ▀██▄
███[ ,████ __. ███.   ,▄████▀    ███
███[ ]████████████[  ▄████▀       ███
███[ `████   ,oo2 ▄████▀'       ,███
▀██▄  `████▄▄█████d███████████   ▄██▀