Bitcoin Forum
June 26, 2024, 01:49:28 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 2000-4000 BTC loan - Hookah Lounge  (Read 28983 times)
dank (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1002

You cannot kill love

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 08:29:37 PM

Well youre correct, his business can't be compared to yours. While his is an actual brick and mortar establishment, your's is merely a thrown-together business plan. And again, no offense intended, but hookah lounges aren't incredibly profitable as stand-alone businesses. Most are attached to established bars/coffee houses with a pre-existing customer base. Coming from a decade in the service industry with over half of those years in coffee houses WITH hookah lounges, its tough. To get the good seesha you have to order directly from UAE or Lebanon (trade with UAE is restricted). Importers in American sell sub-par quality seesha to white guys (again, not meant to be discriminatory, just a cold fact) at inflated prices. If you are interested more I would be willing to discuss more via PM and I can happily provide websites of both the places I managed as further proof.
Not trying to discourage you. If you have a corner on the market it is possible to overcome and become profitable after a couple years, theres just alot to consider. For instance, in some municipalities the ability to sell tobacco is linked to liquor licenses (limited by design)  
I guess we will find out, since it seems to me that hookah is quite profitable as a stand alone service.  Not that I think it's appropriate to compare it with any existing hookah lounge, really, mine will have a huge 6000 square foot facility with live music, an attached smokeshop, downtown, with colleges all around.  I think I'll be turning profit in a few months, not years, we'll see.

Where are you getting the idea that "hookah is quite profitable as a stand alone service"?  You just had someone who actually knows a thing or two about the business tell you that it's not.  
My calculations.

Of course the environment is probably bigger factor, which we will champion too.

13oZY8zzWEp48XZpEEi8zSkYJF5AWR2vXc DMhYmNzMnU2Avgu7sF3GSDybHumj8XH8V8
Currently seeking plot of land to host 1,000,000+ person music festival
Dankmusic - Hear the impossible, feel the impossible, be the impossible dankmusic.org dankcoin.org
Bjork

Activity: 457
Merit: 250

Look for the bear necessities!!

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 08:39:05 PM

I live in a big State-College town and we have 3 (?) Hookah lounges here that I know of, all serve some sort of food also.  Regardless, if there aren't any other Hookah lounges in your big college town it shouldn't be too hard to succeed with proper marketing etc.

dank (OP)
Legendary

You cannot kill love

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 09:00:06 PM

I live in a big State-College town and we have 3 (?) Hookah lounges here that I know of, all serve some sort of food also.  Regardless, if there aren't any other Hookah lounges in your big college town it shouldn't be too hard to succeed with proper marketing etc.
Thanks for the support.

Dankmusic - Hear the impossible, feel the impossible, be the impossible dankmusic.org dankcoin.org
dank (OP)
Legendary

You cannot kill love

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 05:35:49 AM

We will also use diffused tips in our hookahs, for a smoother smoke.  Just another thing that will make us the best hookah lounge.

MrTeal
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 03:42:06 PM

Dank, don't listen to people saying that you need to go out and work in the industry before actually starting a business. If this is something you want, go ahead and do it.

That being said, this business is very likely to fail even if you work hard at it. Deepak Chopra "If I will it I'll be successful" bullshit aside, most small service-based businesses fail in the first few years. Even if you had the history here to make people trust you with this kind of money, this would be a fairly high risk investment. You need to get a much more solid plan than a spreadsheet that say X people * $Y/person - rent = profit! if you actually want to start getting a real feel for the business and have them invest. If you're serious, you need to put in some serious legwork before coming around asking for investors. Thinking about what kinds of tips you'll use isn't part of a real business plan.

Good luck with this.
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 03:51:58 PM

If you build it, I will come. 

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
dank (OP)
Legendary

You cannot kill love

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 03:57:24 PM

Dank, don't listen to people saying that you need to go out and work in the industry before actually starting a business. If this is something you want, go ahead and do it.

That being said, this business is very likely to fail even if you work hard at it. Deepak Chopra "If I will it I'll be successful" bullshit aside, most small service-based businesses fail in the first few years. Even if you had the history here to make people trust you with this kind of money, this would be a fairly high risk investment. You need to get a much more solid plan than a spreadsheet that say X people * $Y/person - rent = profit! if you actually want to start getting a real feel for the business and have them invest. If you're serious, you need to put in some serious legwork before coming around asking for investors. Thinking about what kinds of tips you'll use isn't part of a real business plan.

Good luck with this.
That's how I've always felt, if you want to learn how to do something, you don't watch other people do it, you do it yourself.

The spreadsheet's a little more complex than that, it's 40 lines long so far.  Once I talk to my lawyer and get an idea of regulations, licenses and taxes involved, they'll be added to the spreadsheet.  I'll probably take business counseling at a local college in the next week or two, as well.  Unfortunately, most everything I've ever planned in my life was planned in my head, I'll work to transfer it into a business plan over the next week.

I'm quite confident in this business and don't like waiting when I could be starting it, I hope an investor sees the potential I do.

Thank you.

@RodeoX Awesome.

BorderBits

Activity: 275

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 04:06:11 PM

Yeah, why on Earth would anyone need any experience in the industry in which they want to start a new business? The thing is, he is not doing anything.  He is asking for a handout.  He believes that his 7th grade business education and a few hours spent making up numbers on a spreadsheet based on nothing but his own intuition is worth someone forking over $40k.  No one with that sort of money invests in delusional children.  Well, he actually might find an investor a mark on this forum seeing as how there are many fools here asking to be departed from their coin.
dank (OP)
Legendary

You cannot kill love

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 04:40:41 PM
Last edit: September 10, 2012, 05:00:30 PM by dank

Yeah, why on Earth would anyone need any experience in the industry in which they want to start a new business? The thing is, he is not doing anything.  He is asking for a handout.  He believes that his 7th grade business education and a few hours spent making up numbers on a spreadsheet based on nothing but his own intuition is worth someone forking over $40k.  No one with that sort of money invests in delusional children.  Well, he actually might find an investor a mark on this forum seeing as how there are many fools here asking to be departed from their coin.
I'm asking for a loan which I'll pay back at a fairly high interest rate, you call that a handout?  It's really not that complicated, you start the business and you run it.  Can I tell you what I'll be doing at this time each day when I have the hookah lounge running?  No, because I live in the moment and that's how you get shit done.

Also, this is an opportuity I have now.  There are no hookah bars in my city, now.  If I sit around for two years, guess what, there might be another hookah bar.  If I take this opportunity I have now, I will be able to establish myself with the entire city as they will have nowhere else to go.  I'll be most successful if this happens now.

By the way, I've spent over 24 hours gathering info and developing that spreadsheet, I've been working on it most of each day over the weekend.

I'm not a child, I'm a young adult becoming a man and if I've learned anything, the most important part of becoming a man is to get shit done, which I've been doing a lot of.  Where is the delusion in this?  Is it because my spreadsheet doesn't really exist?  Or do you really think no 18 year old has ever manifested creative business ideas into reality, successfully?

MrTeal
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 04:52:58 PM

Yeah, why on Earth would anyone need any experience in the industry in which they want to start a new business? The thing is, he is not doing anything.  He is asking for a handout.  He believes that his 7th grade business education and a few hours spent making up numbers on a spreadsheet based on nothing but his own intuition is worth someone forking over $40k.  No one with that sort of money invests in delusional children.  Well, he actually might find an investor a mark on this forum seeing as how there are many fools here asking to be departed from their coin.

I never said he was. I was merely refuting the conjecture that he should go get some shitty job in the industry the earn his dues before opening a business. It seems you might have missed the rest of my post where I said that his current prep work is inadequate, that he needs to put serious work into a real business plan, and that even then this is likely to fail.

I like the Dank show even for all the shit I give him for his crazy ideas. It would shock me if actually succeeded in his goals, but I'd be happy to see it if he did. Sure no one here's going to give him $50k, but if he can get enough together to start this up it would be a great learning experience for him.
Bjork

Activity: 457

Look for the bear necessities!!

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 09:24:54 PM

Hey Dank, you should shadow some Hookah bar owners/managers in nearby towns and buddy up to them. 

dank (OP)
Legendary

You cannot kill love

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 09:38:58 PM

Hey Dank, you should shadow some Hookah bar owners/managers in nearby towns and buddy up to them.  
I would but I don't really have time for that, I'm more of the learn as you go kind of person, anyways.  I'm gonna have this thing up and running this year one way or another.

BorderBits

View Profile
September 11, 2012, 01:13:10 AM

He would, but he's busy not having a job, making up numbers for spreadsheets, and asking for handouts.  Plus, he'd probably have to ask his folks for a ride.  There's really no sense in doing something that would give him real world knowledge of the business that he wants to start. 
bitcoinbear

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 11, 2012, 01:22:23 AM

Why not get the loan from the Bank of Dank? Do they think it is too high risk?

CryptoNote needs you! Join the elite merged mining forces right now here in Fantomcoin topic: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=598823.0
dank (OP)
Legendary

You cannot kill love

View Profile
September 11, 2012, 01:24:41 AM

He would, but he's busy not having a job, making up numbers for spreadsheets, and asking for handouts.  Plus, he'd probably have to ask his folks for a ride.  There's really no sense in doing something that would give him real world knowledge of the business that he wants to start. 
Making up numbers?  Would you like to review my spreadsheet and tell me what's made up about it?

I have real world knowledge regarding hookah.  I've smoked at hookah bars, I have a hookah sitting right in front of me.

I've run plenty of web based businesses, I know how it works, don't tell me I'm incompetent because I haven't done it the way you want.

There's no sense in waiting around when I have the opportunity to maximize profit now.  You're missing that part.

bitcoinbear

View Profile
September 11, 2012, 01:29:44 AM

Out of curiosity, which city are you setting this up in?

CryptoNote needs you! Join the elite merged mining forces right now here in Fantomcoin topic: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=598823.0
dank (OP)
Legendary

You cannot kill love

View Profile
September 11, 2012, 01:38:56 AM

I'd prefer not to disclose to non-investors at this time.

BorderBits

View Profile
September 11, 2012, 01:45:36 AM

Making up numbers?  Would you like to review my spreadsheet and tell me what's made up about it?

Yes, I would.  Post or PM a dropbox or google docs link. 
Rarity

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

Look upon me, BitcoinTalk, for I...am...Rarity!

View Profile
September 11, 2012, 01:51:39 AM

Seems like information anyone will be asking for before investing.

"Money is like manure: Spread around, it helps things grow. Piled up in one place, it just stinks."
bitcoinbear

View Profile
September 11, 2012, 01:57:34 AM

Seems like information anyone will be asking for before investing.

Right. How is anybody going to invest if you will not even share simple things like where it is, let alone important information like your identity?

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: