Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 04:18:08 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BitcoinDial: Make Calls With Bitcoin! [NO REGISTRATION NEEDED!]  (Read 2281 times)
juju

Activity: 381
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 20, 2015, 04:54:20 PM

-snip-

Nice work! This is an impressive idea and is worth sharing with others Smiley
nvK (OP)

Merit: 259

View Profile WWW
May 20, 2015, 06:24:37 PM

-snip-

Thanks, I hope people use it friday for the Bitcoin Pizza Day, "...Call your pizza order with Bitcoin..." Tongue

It's the bitcoin incentive that makes the "blockchain" technology work, stupid.
ShetKid

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 20, 2015, 06:26:18 PM

-snip-

Thanks, I hope people use it friday for the Bitcoin Pizza Day, "...Call your pizza order with Bitcoin..." Tongue

That makes me think another thing which might exist in the future. Like Googlevoice, having your personal phone number to receive calls on. That would be like a web phone , and would be epic. You guys should consider it as a future side project.
nikona

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 20, 2015, 06:39:24 PM

-snip-

That makes me think another thing which might exist in the future. Like Googlevoice, having your personal phone number to receive calls on. That would be like a web phone , and would be epic. You guys should consider it as a future side project.

The site doesn't have phones to call the people. They use other services and might be using the same number to call different people. When the calls are received , then it would make it complicated enough .
nvK (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 20, 2015, 07:39:38 PM

-snip-

The site doesn't have phones to call the people. They use other services and might be using the same number to call different people. When the calls are received , then it would make it complicated enough .

It would be cool, but a project on itself. Definitely doable though.

CounterEntropy

Activity: 214
Merit: 278

View Profile
May 20, 2015, 09:10:08 PM

Seems your service can be used anonymously... a bit expensive though. But, criminals may be your customer to make extortion calls as well as elites may use it to book call girls.

As I can see, you are talking about making it open source. Hows that going to financially benefit you ? Will it be partially open source, so that use of your service remains mandatory ? Or you plan to monetize it from BitKit API ?
nvK (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 20, 2015, 09:14:33 PM

Seems your service can be used anonymously... a bit expensive though. But, criminals may be your customer to make extortion calls.

As I can see, you are talking about making it open source. Hows that going to financially benefit you ? Will it be partially open source, so that use of your service remains mandatory ? Or you plan to monetize it from BitKit API ?

As many have pointed out prices are quite on par with better services, but that's besides the point. We have no intention of monetizing this, was a fun project/proof-of-concept.

We already monetize BitKit (Coinkite's API), there is over 1,500 devs and over 1K startups using it. https://coinkite.com/startups

In regards to abuse, we have very clear terms of use, so does the telco provider. The call receiver can also block his number, no questions asked.

sherbyspark

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 20, 2015, 09:26:14 PM

Seems your service can be used anonymously... a bit expensive though. But, criminals may be your customer to make extortion calls as well as elites may use it to book call girls.

Its not completely anonymous, but yes it can definitely be exploited in some manner.

In regards to abuse, we have very clear terms of use, so does the telco provider. The call receiver can also block his number, no questions asked.

But how would someone who does not know of the service know that he is being called using this site or service ?  To him it will just be another number that he is getting a call from.
nvK (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 20, 2015, 09:28:27 PM

Its not completely anonymous, but yes it can definitely be exploited in some manner.

But how would someone who does not know of the service know that he is being called using this site or service ?  To him it will just be another number that he is getting a call from.

If they google the number they will find the site we've indexed it. Also, any call to the authorities would identify the telco provider which will have to release our service information.

CrackedLogic
Legendary

Activity: 1050

View Profile
May 21, 2015, 03:17:06 PM

I love this, I have blocked my number however. The quality is clear and seems a lot better than skype. No delays as well. It was awesome.

I'll be taking a look over the API and see if I can pull anything exciting off.
What does it mean by blocking the number ? Does it mean that no one will b e able to call you through the service ?

It means people that do not wish to receive calls from this service wont.
Seems useless in a way , as its almost impossible to know that someone is calling the number from this service, unless you posted your number on the forum, and it was used by someone else.

Not necessarily. This could prove an easy way to extort, scam and prank call users/people. I'm not sure how the security features are set out if anything happens, but totally anonymous from my point of view. Bitcoin and a VPN/Proxy/tor could potentially mask you completely.

Shocked BUY GAMESWITHBTCITCOINFORDISCOUNTEDPRICES Shocked
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
May 21, 2015, 03:36:28 PM

To people who've actually called someone, how's the call quality? ...

It was better than Skype. and I was calling from an old thinkpad. I can see using this service somtimes.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
teddy5145

Activity: 714
Merit: 528

View Profile
May 21, 2015, 03:41:22 PM

Tested the service by calling my own phone  Grin
This is a good idea actually, it's just like skype but with bitcoins
would be better if you could make a standalone software for this  Tongue
CrackedLogic
Legendary

Activity: 1050

View Profile
May 21, 2015, 03:52:22 PM

if you could make a standalone software for this  Tongue

Mobile Apps specifically. That's definitely possible if they release an API for BitcoinDial. Developers could implement it into their own scripts.

Shocked BUY GAMESWITHBTCITCOINFORDISCOUNTEDPRICES Shocked
nvK (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 21, 2015, 05:40:36 PM

if you could make a standalone software for this  Tongue

Mobile Apps specifically. That's definitely possible if they release an API for BitcoinDial. Developers could implement it into their own scripts.

As long as the app has an embeded WebRTC able browser should be a walk in the park.

nvK (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 25, 2015, 03:32:48 PM

Now that the forum is back: Did any of you use it to call pizzas on friday?

Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: