Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 04:53:59 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Mining accidents having caused physical damage (overheating hw, fires, etc)  (Read 12114 times)
stickystyle

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 12:47:45 PM

One of the power MOSFET's shot a sizable flame out the back of my 5770 no more than 3 minutes after getting my very first rig together (talk about a bad omen eh?).  Luckily there I was still able to figure out the part number by looking at other transistors and pics on the internet and soldered a new one in place with what was probably my single worse soldering job in my life.
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 03:13:05 PM

Thank you EU for our 230 V power.

Hey US, enjoy your doubled current drain at your wall socket  Grin
*shrug*

6 one way, a half dozen the other.
dayfall

Activity: 312
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 03:21:54 PM

Gigabyte's 5870s have very sharp fan blades that barely have a housing.  It is a good deterrent to sticking one's hand in a running machine.  Ouch!
tsvekric

Activity: 257
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 04:37:06 PM

nobody has posted this yet?

Hey TeKillaSunRise, check it out

-qwe2323
Swishercutter

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 06:08:16 PM

So far just a pretty serious papercut from a 5830 box...seriously, it was very deep, like a knife cut.
lacedwithkerosene

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
June 09, 2011, 06:15:16 PM

Just almost set my entire mining rig room on fire... With shitty PSUs apparantly.

I hooked up 2*850W raidmax gold PSUs to 6 video cards and it started smoking like crazy.

I can hook up 6 * video cards to a 1200 watt gold psu with no problems whatsoever.

WTF raidmax?!? You made me inhale some kind of weird assed fumes!

Damn dude, I'm gonna have to feature you on my site again!

Jack of Diamonds

Activity: 252
Merit: 251

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 06:16:41 PM

Broke my wrist last month in datacenter after hitting concrete wall; Multiple machines in the farm kept going offline due to ethernet failures or GPU freezes. The thing is, this was happening continuously at 2-5 AM for many days and I kept waking up on automatic text message alarm.

There is no personnel at night besides guard at the lobby and access is purely on keycard basis, so I have to drive 6 kilometers every time.

I'm usually very professional but that broke the camels back (yes, I realize it does not solve anything and is primitive. I was tired). Fortunately the problems went away after installing dedicated ethernet cards as suggested by sysadmin the following day.

1f3gHNoBodYw1LLs3ndY0UanYB1tC0lnsBec4USeYoU9AREaCH34PBeGgAR67fx
lacedwithkerosene

View Profile WWW
June 09, 2011, 06:21:36 PM

nobody has posted this yet?

I've covered that at this link. I would like to get in touch with that poster for an interview, if they can step forward.

Adam

Activity: 224

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 06:25:57 PM

I think I have a problem in the making.  My circuit breaker would occasionally start buzzing, but it never actually tripped.  I have been counting on the assumption that the circuit breaker will trip if I have too much plugged in so I thought it wasn't dangerous.  But just adding up the wattages on everything that's plugged in gets me to like 2kW when it's all on a 15A breaker, so I'm sure I'm overloading it at least a little. 

The buzzing isn't constant or anything, and I will eventually move some of the equipment once everything has been built, but should I be worried at the moment?

BattleTitans.io  ▼  Mobile PvP Arena of the Future  ▼  BattleTitans.io
The Most Promising ICO in October    [Join Now!]

▼  [FB]  ▬  [TW]  ▬  [TG]  ▬▬▬  [YU]  ▼
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 06:36:15 PM

I think I have a problem in the making.  My circuit breaker would occasionally start buzzing, but it never actually tripped.  I have been counting on the assumption that the circuit breaker will trip if I have too much plugged in so I thought it wasn't dangerous.  But just adding up the wattages on everything that's plugged in gets me to like 2kW when it's all on a 15A breaker, so I'm sure I'm overloading it at least a little. 

The buzzing isn't constant or anything, and I will eventually move some of the equipment once everything has been built, but should I be worried at the moment?
Yes.  You should never load a circuit with more than 80% continuous load.  The wiring isn't built to carry that much load, and could be overheating and on the way to starting a fire.

That said, you should verify the ACTUAL power draw of each of your rigs before coming to conclusions.  For instance, a GTX295 "requires" a 680w PSU minimum, but the actual draw from the wall of a full-fledged system under load running a GTX295 is only 487w, according to tomshardware.com.
Goldenmaw

Activity: 84

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 06:44:29 PM

Damn.  I very nearly went Raidmax for a dual PSU setup.  I may have been saved from calamity by misleading advertising - I exchanged them upon noticing that it wasn't really a modular cable system. 

Oh, and I voice my support for Kill-O-Watts.  Cheap and incredibly useful in helping me obey the golden rule of 1 rig per circuit.
ataranlen

Activity: 846
Merit: 1000

The One and Only

View Profile WWW
June 10, 2011, 02:17:09 AM

So this week I've added two mining rigs to my setup for a total of 8 6950's and a 5870x2 (roughly 3ghash/s) They have been mining for about 24hrs straight when my wife called me over by the couch in the living room. "Honey, this plug is warm... Is that from the heat in the other room" Yes honey, its from the heat... no, its just a wall fire waiting to happen! So until an electrician can get out here tomorrow, I'll be shutting down at least one of my rigs Grin

Those kill-a-watts beep when you get em close to their max amps! Shocked

MineTexas.com Minecraft Server We accept Bitcoin and Dogecoin.
Deepbit on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Deepbit/151108048294815
anodyne

Activity: 518

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 04:01:43 PM

I just happened to stick my beard into a fan while leaning over a caseless setup. No big damage, lost a few strands, but still...

Bitcoins: solid enough to build pyramids.
mrb (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1027

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2011, 06:37:05 AM

Mechanical failure of a PSU fan blade, on a Corsair AX1200, after barely 700h of operation. Aah, the joy of running a mining cluster large enough to make improbable failures actually occur once in a while... After the blade broke, the imbalanced fan was making the whole computer chassis vibrate quite hard.

tito13kfm

Activity: 42

View Profile
June 18, 2011, 06:45:50 AM

I used a damaged dremel wheel to attempt to modify my x1 extender, it shattered as soon as I revved it up and a piece hit my face causing a small cut.

I was out of wheels so I grabbed my super sharp knife and started to shave away... slipped and cut my thumb open.

Neither cut was deep enough to warrant stitches, but there is a nice little pool of blood on my workbench now.

The good news is that I got the little fucker whittled down enough to make it work, and was able to add another 300MHash/sec to my secondary rig.
Swishercutter

View Profile
June 18, 2011, 06:51:27 AM

I used a damaged dremel wheel to attempt to modify my x1 extender, it shattered as soon as I revved it up and a piece hit my face causing a small cut.

I was out of wheels so I grabbed my super sharp knife and started to shave away... slipped and cut my thumb open.

Neither cut was deep enough to warrant stitches, but there is a nice little pool of blood on my workbench now.

The good news is that I got the little fucker whittled down enough to make it work, and was able to add another 300MHash/sec to my secondary rig.

Worth it then. Wink
tito13kfm

View Profile
June 18, 2011, 07:51:23 AM

Any chance of a pic? BMA's never shown an actual injury (including blood) before.

Nah, no pics, wiped it up shortly after it happened.  What remains can't really be identified as blood, more like a discoloration.

As far as the cuts, the thumb one was the worst but it's been 2 days and it's hard to see much of anything in a picture.  The face one was basically like when you cut yourself shaving, just a little nick.

I can offer up a picture of another injury that occurred while working on an old motherboard I was trying to get in mining shape.  I was going to desolder a bad cap and replace it... This injury is about 2 weeks old.. it was MUCH worse than it looks.

https://i.imgur.com/5bbhv.jpg

I am quite accident prone around computers.. I dropped a 850W PSU on my big toe last year.. The nail just recently grew back properly.  I could probably write a book of stupid computer related injuries.  I think the most frightening was when I touched something I shouldn't have inside a CRT with a screwdriver... Let's just say I don't fuck with CRT monitors anymore.

Edit: Holy hell that image was larger than I thought.. Linked it instead of embedding.

Edit2: Almost had a complete OH SHIT moment just now.  I am sure glad imgur strips exif data.. I looked at the original, plugged in the lat/long recorded, and google maps showed me a picture of my house... scary.
lacedwithkerosene

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2011, 08:04:02 AM

tito, sounds like a decent track record compared to some  Smiley (http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=18539)

Swishercutter

View Profile
June 18, 2011, 08:04:20 AM

I think the most frightening was when I touched something I shouldn't have inside a CRT with a screwdriver... Let's just say I don't fuck with CRT monitors anymore.

[/quote]

Output of the flyback transformer...very high voltage.
tito13kfm

View Profile
June 18, 2011, 08:20:49 AM

tito, sounds like a decent track record compared to some  Smiley (http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=18539)

"I plugged the HDD and DVD drive into the 12V PCI-E power ports rather than the 5V ones"

I call bullshit.  I hate to do it, but I call it.  Unless there is a picture of the aftermath, I'm not going to believe it.  Even if you assume he wired up his own connector, somehow ignored the fact that the red wire was connected to a yellow one, and got it to spin up:  You have to remember that a HDD is encased in metal.  The platters are NOT going to blow through it.

This story is less believable than the heat stroke one.  They are funny anecdotes, but don't have a shred of truth in them.

Quote from: tito13kfm
 I think the most frightening was when I touched something I shouldn't have inside a CRT with a screwdriver... Let's just say I don't fuck with CRT monitors anymore.

Output of the flyback transformer...very high voltage.

No explosions or being blown back 20+ feet as you would imagine.  Just a very large, and very bright spark and the screwdriver ended up flying out of my hand (still not sure if I threw it instinctively or if it was forcibly ejected)
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: