Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 02:27:19 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Hard fork Bitcoin with the strengths of altcoins now!  (Read 1694 times)
solitude (OP)

Activity: 674
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 20, 2015, 03:54:46 AM

I value a conservative approach, but if Bitcoin is really open source then what's stopping us from hard forking 100% anonymity that some altcoins are currently enjoying?

Does it really take months of work to make Bitcoin 100% anonymous?

7 Transactions a second, another issue that shouldn't be an issue.  It's simply not enough for the future.  Why wait until 2016 for a hard fork?

Let's hard fork this shit and send these make-believe pretend shitcoins to their graves where they belong.  Altcoins are a cancer.

Hardly anyone speaks English on this forum.
Agestorzrxx

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 20, 2015, 04:45:29 AM

I value a conservative approach, but if Bitcoin is really open source then what's stopping us from hard forking 100% anonymity that some altcoins are currently enjoying?

7 Transactions a second, another issue that shouldn't be an issue.  It's simply not enough for the future.  Why wait until 2016 for a hard fork?

Let's hard fork this shit and send these make-believe pretend shitcoins to their graves where they belong.  Altcoins are a cancer.
First, how many people in your term of "us"? this is the real problem. We already have lots of clone of bitcoin, but none of them success as bitcoin, just because of people don't support it.
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
May 20, 2015, 06:26:34 AM

this would better be done with sidechain, so you don't touch the original blockchain and you don't need any hard fork, they are a good idea imho, for removing that altcoin garbage
shulio
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1016

View Profile
May 20, 2015, 06:35:09 AM

Neuroticfish said to me before that bitcoin has a fork-o-phobia. Most people are afraid of forking because the result after fork is undetermined. Bitcoin may be worthless like altcoin and thats whats make people worried about especially about the price since it might crash after fork.  Btw 7 transactions a second is a bit crazy, most altcoins is 1 minute/1 blocks usually
louise123

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 20, 2015, 06:41:17 AM

7 Transactions a second, another issue that shouldn't be an issue.  It's simply not enough for the future.  Why wait until 2016 for a hard fork?

Let's hard fork this shit and send these make-believe pretend shitcoins to their graves where they belong.  Altcoins are a cancer.

Does anyone else see the irony in this?
The guy wants to borrow features invented on other alt-coins and hard fork them in Bitcoin to destroy all alt-coins.   Roll Eyes

██████
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
                ▄███
             ▄███▌ █
            ▀▀▀██▄  █
          ▄███▄▄ ▀▀▀█
         █ █████▀▀▀▄▄
        ▄██ ███▄    █
       ▐███▀   ▀█   █
       ████     █   █
      ▄██▀▄█▄▄▄█▀   █
      ▀▄▄███▌      █
  ▄▄▄▀▀▀████       █
▄▀    ██ ██       █
▐▌     ██▌▐▌      ▀▄
█      ██ █         ▀▄
█      █▀▄▌          █
█   ▄▀█▄██           █
█ ▄▀      ▀▀▄▄▀▄     █
▀▀             █    █
              █  ▄▀
              ▀▄█
     ▀█████████████▄▄
 ▀ ▀▀▀███████████████▌
  ▀ ▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀▀▀▀██████         ▄███████▄      ▄▄███████▄    ▄███▄    ▄███▄ ▄███▄      ▄███▄
▀ ▀▀▀▀█████▄▄▄▄▄▄█████▌       ▄████▀▀▀████▄   ▐████▀▀█████   ▀████▄ ▄████▀ █████▄    ▄█████
   ▀▀███████████████▀       █████     ████▌          ████▌    ▀████████▀    █████▄  ▄█████▌
  ▀ ▀████████████████▀ ▀    ██████████████▌   ▄▄██████████     ▄██████▄      █████▄▄█████▌
    ██████      ██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ▀ █████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀    █████▀▀▀█████    ▄████████▄      ██████████▌
    ██████▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▄ ▄    ████▄▄   ▄▄█▄   ████▄  ▄█████ ▄█████▀▀█████▄     ████████▌
    █████████████████▀        ▀███████████   ▀████████████  ████▀    ▀████      ██████▌
    ██████████████▀▀             ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀       ▀▀▀▀▀▀ ▀▀▀    ▀▀        ▀▀        █████
                                                                               ▄█████
                                                                           ▄███████▀
                                                                           ▀████▀▀
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
██████
|█████████████████
███████████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
  WHITEPAPER 
 LIGHTPAPER
|Instant Deposit
✓ 24/7 Support
Referral Program
Buffer Overflow
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1015

View Profile
May 20, 2015, 06:46:03 AM

I value a conservative approach, but if Bitcoin is really open source then what's stopping us from hard forking

Nothing. You are free to do your own fork.
The hard part is gaining consensus.

Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
May 20, 2015, 06:48:41 AM

Well I do agree that almost all the altcoins are crap, however there is no need to rush. If an altcoin had some feature that was worth spending implementing into Bitcoin, don't you think hat someone would have at least proposed it?
There are indeed some unique stuff that was copied over and over by others (e.g. Kimoto's Gravity Well). These things aren't necessary at the time.
There is no need to increase the blocksize right now, because there is enough room for transactions. Better take it slowly, than to be sorry later.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
thebenjamincode

Activity: 490

37iGtdUJc2xXTDkw5TQZJQX1Wb98gSLYVP

View Profile
May 20, 2015, 08:00:49 AM

yeah you're right,

i think that the devs should act now to fork bitcoin and fix its problems before the mass adoption of it comes.

wpalczynski
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 20, 2015, 07:23:58 PM

All the VC capital that has been invested into Bitcoin was invested on the premise that it is a public ledger.

bitllionaire
Legendary

Activity: 1120

View Profile
May 20, 2015, 07:43:18 PM

Hard fork is not a thing that can be done quickly and badly
You need time and tests to leave clear that all the system is going to run ok and without a failure
A problem might be fatal
pedrog
Legendary

Activity: 2786
Merit: 1031

View Profile
May 20, 2015, 08:33:38 PM

How much research as been put into those "100% anonymous" coins?

Has the technology been proper tested and reviewed by domain experts? If so how many? Where can I see the conclusions?

Mikestang
Legendary

Activity: 1274

View Profile
May 20, 2015, 08:38:21 PM

Does it really take months of work to make [snip}

The end of that sentence is unimportant.  The answer is "No" if you don't care about the end product.  The answer is "Yes" if you do care.  The actual end product does not matter.

If you want to be anonymous, then use an "anonymous" altcoin.

If you're unhappy with Bitcoin code, re-code it and gain mass consensus that your way is better.
Hamuki
Legendary

Activity: 1022

View Profile
May 20, 2015, 08:54:59 PM

There is no problems with bitcoin at the moment that is vital.. And the only "fork" that will happen is the size will go from 1mb to 20mb (or 10, I cant remember)
Doing a fork to add stealth or something silly like that is just dump and stupid to gamble with the whole system just for that.

dothebeats
Legendary

Activity: 3682
Merit: 1353

View Profile
May 20, 2015, 09:22:54 PM

Why the rush? Also, no one is stopping anyone to create a fork of their own. The only problem that someone will encounter in case they did a hard fork is gaining trust and consensus from the network and from the community. You can freely create a fork if you want to, no one and nothing hinders you from doing it. Also, why would you integrate some altcoins concept if you consider them as a cancer in the first place? That seems to be ironic.
wpalczynski
Legendary

Activity: 1456

View Profile
May 20, 2015, 10:54:54 PM

How much research as been put into those "100% anonymous" coins?

Has the technology been proper tested and reviewed by domain experts? If so how many? Where can I see the conclusions?

Here it is for monero.

https://downloads.getmonero.org/whitepaper_review.pdf

Lots of other data on getmonero.org, especially the monero research lab.

https://lab.getmonero.org/

grendel25
Legendary

Activity: 2296
Merit: 1031

View Profile
May 21, 2015, 06:04:54 AM

I think there's just a huge dilemma among bitcoin supporters.  There's the crowd that wants mass adoption and there's the crowd that wants to keep it special, anonymous... and very very nerdy to keep out the non-hackers.

It's a very tumultuous time for bitcoin.  I can't wait for the next record setting surge that will make several nerds very very rich.  And I really can't wait for the movie.  I mean... just the characters involved would be so hilarious to see who they cast for them.  The winklevais, mt gox dude, Dred Pirate Roberts, and a cast of thousands.

What really drives me nuts is how altcoins factor into bitcoins and how these markets work together.  All the arbitrage too... it's totally maddening.

..EPICENTRAL .....
..EPIC: Epic Private Internet Cash..
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄
▄████████████████▀▀█████▄
▄████████████▀▀▀    ██████▄
████████▀▀▀   ▄▀   ████████
█████▄     ▄█▀     ████████
████████▄ █▀      █████████
▀████████▌▐       ████████▀
▀████████ ▄██▄  ████████▀
▀█████████████▄███████▀
▀█████████████████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄
▄████████▀█████▀████████▄
▄██████▀  ▀     ▀  ▀██████▄
██████▌             ▐██████
██████    ██   ██    ██████
█████▌    ▀▀   ▀▀    ▐█████
▀█████▄  ▄▄     ▄▄  ▄█████▀
▀██████▄▄███████▄▄██████▀
▀█████████████████████▀
▀█████████████████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
[/center]
MicroGuy
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1030

Twitter @realmicroguy

View Profile WWW
May 21, 2015, 03:59:29 PM

The core developers aren't trying to make bitcoin 100% anonymous, nor should they. If you're waiting for that, you'll be waiting until infinity. Cheesy
GTO911

Activity: 672

View Profile
May 21, 2015, 04:08:24 PM

Not possible, Bitcoin is a transparent blockchain, it will always stay like that.

Use a different tool for a different use, use XMR
GTO911

View Profile
May 21, 2015, 07:38:31 PM

It is a bit weird with Monero, every single thread that they can they bring it, there are planty of anonymous coins that could easily be used for this kind of need.

Didnt the OP talk about anonymity? Monero is on-topic.

BTW there is no other coin in which BTC core devs have shown interest. The cryptonote protocol is state of the art opaque blockchain system, i dont see any shitcoin being remotely close to it. Dont be an ill informed hater, read the cryptonote whitepaper
GTO911

View Profile
May 21, 2015, 08:02:59 PM

I am saying that Monero is not the only option for anonymous transactions and there are many Bitcoin Core Devs, which one has shown interest (and what do you count as interest)?

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=11425

https://twitter.com/petertoddbtc/status/579090039012925440

Not a dev but should count
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=885736.msg9780400#msg9780400
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: