Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 11:06:07 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Beginner starting trading  (Read 4491 times)
Starrk (OP)

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 20, 2015, 12:09:15 PM

Hello everyone i have decided to try my hand and bitcoin trading i already have a couple wallets created and the one that i have with mycelium has 4.291 mBTC i will be buying more but i am kind of lost at what to do now. you can buy and trade on the app but i don't think anyone is going to buy such a small amount. what are my next steps? i have gone back all the way to page 13 absorbing as much information as possible. just seeking a little guidance. any and all information will be greatly appreciated

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Starrk (OP)

View Profile
May 20, 2015, 02:30:40 PM

Things to consider before you start trading.
Exchanges have transaction limits, meaning that you won't be able to set orders smaller than the limit (for example 0.01 BTC).
If you trade with a very small amount of BTC you won't earn anything because of the transaction and withdrawal fees. For instance if you buy 0.1 BTC, and the price goes up by 10USD your profit will be only 1USD -fees.

For the time being that's fine with me because I am just starting out and I don't want to dive headfirst into something I don't fully understand. How do I begin trading with what little bitcoins I have?
Starrk (OP)

View Profile
May 20, 2015, 03:09:16 PM

Exchanges have transaction limits, meaning that you won't be able to set orders smaller than the limit (for example 0.01 BTC).
If you trade with a very small amount of BTC you won't earn anything because of the transaction and withdrawal fees. For instance if you buy 0.1 BTC, and the price goes up by 10USD your profit will be only 1USD -fees.

For the time being that's fine with me because I am just starting out and I don't want to dive headfirst into something I don't fully understand. How do I begin trading with what little bitcoins I have?

You need to make an account on an exchange and transfer your coins to that account, but you don't have enough money to even trade for fun. You'll need to buy some with fiat first or earn it otherwise (faucets, services section on this forum).

Here's a list of exchanges: http://bitcoincharts.com/markets/

How much would I need to begin trading? I have my coins in
mycelium. Which exchange should I get into? I appreciate you taking the time to respond to my posts
Don007
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1007

Live like there is no tomorrow!

View Profile
May 20, 2015, 03:15:27 PM

When you don't have much BTC to trade with, you might better start with altcoin trading. In that situation you can also become familiar with the actual trading process (and its risks).

Most altcoins are probably more volatile than Bitcoin, so there will be more changes in value. This might return in profit, but also in loss.

{Curently quite inactive as I'm really busy in my private life. I will get back soon!}

-> Your line here during my inactivity? Feel free to PM <-
Starrk (OP)

View Profile
May 20, 2015, 03:42:22 PM

When you don't have much BTC to trade with, you might better start with altcoin trading. In that situation you can also become familiar with the actual trading process (and its risks).

Most altcoins are probably more volatile than Bitcoin, so there will be more changes in value. This might return in profit, but also in loss.

Ok and altcoins can be exchanged for bitcoins right? Any tips on where I should begin?
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
May 20, 2015, 04:27:04 PM

Ok and altcoins can be exchanged for bitcoins right? Any tips on where I should begin?

poloniex if you don't bother too much with their new id verification, but you can still put fake name, otherwise crypsy is good big volume, and great security never hacked for now

security is important for a trader since you need to store always an amount for fast trading

there is also bittrex, which has changed its front recently, starting from there and then move to cryptsy would not be a bad move
Starrk (OP)

View Profile
May 20, 2015, 04:35:22 PM

poloniex if you don't bother too much with their new id verification, but you can still put fake name, otherwise crypsy is good big volume, and great security never hacked for now

security is important for a trader since you need to store always an amount for fast trading

there is also bittrex, which has changed its front recently, starting from there and then move to cryptsy would not be a bad move

I apologize I'm confused. So i should join one of those exchanges buy the currency then trade until I make a profit and sell to get more  bitcoins?
randy8777
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 20, 2015, 05:53:09 PM

I apologize I'm confused. So i should join one of those exchanges buy the currency then trade until I make a profit and sell to get more  bitcoins?

as beginner try to avoid altcoins, unless you know that investing in altcoins is the same as gambling. there are way too many pump & dump coins.
Starrk (OP)

View Profile
May 20, 2015, 06:48:51 PM

as beginner try to avoid altcoins, unless you know that investing in altcoins is the same as gambling. there are way too many pump & dump coins.

Lol one says use altcoins one says don't use alt coins. I made a btc-e account and transfers my measly bitcoins I wanted to transfer some funds but coinbase takes 6 days any way to add funds faster?
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
May 20, 2015, 07:17:57 PM

I apologize I'm confused. So i should join one of those exchanges buy the currency then trade until I make a profit and sell to get more  bitcoins?

Lol one says use altcoins one says don't use alt coins. I made a btc-e account and transfers my measly bitcoins I wanted to transfer some funds but coinbase takes 6 days any way to add funds faster?

try with cryptsy they should be faster, even if they are considered slow, they are dealing with usd since years already

avoid altcoin if don't know how to trade, i would say to avoid trading in general, but if you have experience, they(altcoin) could be good to build your bitcoin portfolio

usually alt gets a "pump rotation", but they are slim pump, nothing to compare with the golden age, i believe many whales left the scene...
Don007
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1007

Live like there is no tomorrow!

View Profile
May 20, 2015, 10:18:59 PM

I'm sorry for my late reply.

Overall, I should say don't trade in general if you do not have experience indeed. But, however, even with small funds you can "learn" the actual trading process in the altcoin world. I like Cryptsy for altcoin trading.

Once you have registred an account on Cryptsy, you can see all the possible markets (- in the options you can also choose to show only a few -> recommended). Such "markets" consist of an altcoin vs Bitcoin (or an altcoin vs another altcoin such as Litecoin, but you will understand as soon as you see this). You can "load" some BTC into Cryptsy (by hitting "deposit" in the Cryptsy market on the balances page and sending the coins to that particular address).   If you want to get into trading, I suggest to start with very small funds. You can start trading with for example 0,00x BTC if that is what you like, or even less; but be aware that you also have to pay a small fee at each transaction - this means that if a coin increases in value with a few satoshi, this does not mean that you have profit (because of the fees). Although these fees are not big..

Good luck!

{Curently quite inactive as I'm really busy in my private life. I will get back soon!}

-> Your line here during my inactivity? Feel free to PM <-
Starrk (OP)

View Profile
May 20, 2015, 11:02:57 PM

Thanks i really appreciate the advice and tips.
randy8777
Legendary

Activity: 896

View Profile
May 21, 2015, 12:11:45 AM

altcoins are very risky. one day they get a +100% pump and the other day they get dumped to the floor. if you do plan to trade altcoins stick with btc-e as they don't list scamcoins.
Starrk (OP)

View Profile
May 21, 2015, 12:17:12 AM

altcoins are very risky. one day they get a +100% pump and the other day they get dumped to the floor. if you do plan to trade altcoins stick with btc-e as they don't list scamcoins.

i thought btc-e was an exchange im currently on there now trying to figure out how to buy 20 bucks in bitcoins
Stargazer

Activity: 641
Merit: 253

▰▰▰ Global Cryptocurrency Paymen

View Profile
May 21, 2015, 05:08:16 PM

i thought btc-e was an exchange im currently on there now trying to figure out how to buy 20 bucks in bitcoins

Send 20$ to your account. Here's how you do it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3Gx1wEcrSU

Buying coins is really easy, just pick BTC/USD pair and below you'll have the current price and blank spots to fill in with the amount you want to buy/sell.

Buttknuckle

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

★YoBit.Net★ 100+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile
May 21, 2015, 10:47:11 PM

I found coinbase the easiest to fund with $.  Other exchanges were either too expensive or too difficult to figure out.  I am not saying that its the best, but its noob friendly.  Plus if you have a friend you can use their referral and you both get $5.  Once you have the account funded it is pretty easy to move btc around to different accounts.  The downside with coinbase is it took about a week for my bank transfer to go through.  Other places are supposed to be faster.

Bitcoin Explorer

Activity: 854
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 25, 2015, 04:41:56 PM

You need to make an account on an exchange and transfer your coins to that account, but you don't have enough money to even trade for fun. You'll need to buy some with fiat first or earn it otherwise (faucets, services section on this forum).

Here's a list of exchanges: http://bitcoincharts.com/markets/

Bitcoincharts is a great resource but you should also make sure you have chosen an exchange which is optimal for you. Please research teh background of the exchange before starting to trade. Also, storing large amounts of bitcoin in your exchange wallet is very dangerous, please avoid doing that. In addition to this, try to read bitcoin economics related stuff as much as possible and if at all you start investing a lot of money into crypto currency trading, consider using a hardware wallet such as Trezor, or an offline Ubuntu wallet, etc.

ObscureBean
Legendary

Activity: 1148

View Profile WWW
May 26, 2015, 06:40:50 AM

Well if you just wanna mess around and see how things work for yourself, your 4.291 mBTC should be enough to get you a taste of what trading is like. You won't be able to trade USD with that amount but you can create an account on Bittrex and experiment with trading altcoins. As for buying Bitcoin, I would suggest you have a look at Circle.com, my personal favorite, it's fast and super easy to use. Have fun!  Smiley
Dotakels

Activity: 490
Merit: 255

View Profile
May 28, 2015, 05:40:56 AM

Well if you just wanna mess around and see how things work for yourself, your 4.291 mBTC should be enough to get you a taste of what trading is like. You won't be able to trade USD with that amount but you can create an account on Bittrex and experiment with trading altcoins. As for buying Bitcoin, I would suggest you have a look at Circle.com, my personal favorite, it's fast and super easy to use. Have fun!  Smiley
you can try the pumped and dumped its so very useful and having a big profit. And your 4.291 mBTC can buy a couple of altcoins.
Miracal

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 28, 2015, 05:48:04 AM

My idea is to go to Altcoin market place (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=161.0), and post a request to buy doge or burst etc with your small amount of bitcoin. You will get small chunk of altcoins. Then you will easily deposit that into any altcoin exchanges to start trading and learn the mechanics of trading.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: